PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

westaust55

Hi John,

Seems that you may be missing some files.
Did you apply the 3.0h update file to a much earlier version of PEBBLE?
The M2/X2 PICAXE chips were added back in version 3.0e:

3.0e 27 Sept 2010
Added PICAXE 18M2
Added PICAXE 20X2
Added PICAXE 28X2
Added PICAXE 40X2
Added 74C922 4x4 matrix Keypad Encoder
Added 74C923 4x5 matrix Keypad Encoder
Added 74HC04 / 74HC05 Hex Inverter IC
Do you also have the same problem with the 18M2?

If it is only the 40X2 you have been missing these (attached) files. You can try and insert them into the PEBBLE/images folder

If that fixes the problem then I suspect you need to go an download the full PEBBLE V3.0g program zip file (See links in post 1 of this thread) and then apply the V3.0h updater files.

I notice that Rev Ed is still only hosting V2.4 :confused:
While I recognise that they have been busy with M2 releases and updated X2 parts etc V2.4 does not include the latest PICAXE parts and other enhancements of recent.

Technical, hippy - any intent to upgrade the hosted version of PEBBLE soon?

Attachments

Last edited:

RobertElton

Hello WestAust55.
I'm new and this looks interesting.
I'm so new that I'm going to ask a silly question that everyone else will know the answer.
How do inject a signal so that it can emulate my design running?

RobertElton

Thanks MartinM57.
Ah, I was fooled by the "emulator" bit ;)
I see, so really artwork generation rather than real emulation.
(But I guess it would sound silly to call it PEBBLAG.)
Well, nonetheless, I'm sure it'll be handy.

ValueAdd

We should not be fooled by a word with preconceived ideas. There is a need to read the whole title

an "Emulator" is a device or method to immitate or copy.

As a "Layout Emulator", it is immitating a layout of a board on the screen

To me (at least), a "Circuit Emulator" would be seen as immitating the function of a circuit and hence capable of showing the functionality of the circuit by animation/colours or depiction of voltage levels.

A program emulator is software and/or hardware to imitate the functions of one piece of software on another computer.

I have seen Dippy have his say on this topic previously but lets say the wording is in the eyes/mind of the author as is often the case.
Oh no, Stan's going to tell us all about breadboards .;.

Mind you , what about Westy doing a version of PEBBLE with schematic graphics?
(Just promise me you won't call it an 'emulator') :)

Last edited:

John West

It is indeed a layout emulator, (for solderless protoboards,) not a circuit emulator or a layout generator. Too often, we expect to find just another SPICE program or just another bd fabrication artwork generator. Original creations require unusual care in discerning their function.

As an experienced electronics tech, when I first saw PEBBLE I asked, "What earthly good is this?" Having become part of the PICAXE community I now understand what this tool does and who it helps. It's an altogether excellent creation.

Last edited:

Piers

PEBBLE problem

Hi,

I have a problem with pebble in that all of the components are displaying behind the breadboard rather than in front.

When I select a component from the menu and drag it across to the breadboard it disappears behind it as shown in the attached screenshot.

Any Ideas?

PEBBLE version 3.0h with IE 7.

Version 3.0g is the same, but 2.5 is fine.

Piers

Attachments

premelec

other side?

Maybe you you are looking at the wrong side of the monitor? Sorry I couldn't help it - snowy cold day in Colorado... someone else will give you the answer...

westaust55

Presuming that you are using the latest version of PEBBLE, If you run PEBBLE from the file PEBBLE.htlm
it should auto detect whether IE or Mozilla FF is used. The program then selects to use the file
P_for_IE.html for Microcsoft IE, or
P_for_FF.html for Mozilla Firefox and others

I can see from your image that you are using IE and I assume that you are manually selecting the P_for_FF.html as that will cause the problem you are experiencing.

If it is through the first file, PEBBLE.html, then please try the file P_for_IE.html directly.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

john2051

re: 40x2 not displaying

@westaust55

I followed the sequence you advised, and everything seems to be working now.
Thanks for an incredibly useful program.

Regards.... John

Piers

Hii Westy,

it makes no difference wether I use the Pebble shortcuts or I start Pebble by clicking the HTML file directly, also makes no difference wether I use the generic Pebble file, the IE one or the FF file. All have the same effect of hiding the component behind the board.

Piers

westaust55

Hii Westy,

it makes no difference wether I use the Pebble shortcuts or I start Pebble by clicking the HTML file directly, also makes no difference wether I use the generic Pebble file, the IE one or the FF file. All have the same effect of hiding the component behind the board.

Piers
Most puzzling.
Which operating system and which version of IE are you using?
I will need to look into it further to try and find a solution.

Piers

Hi Westy,

I'm not a software person by any means, but, it does seem a bit odd.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 and I.E. 7 with all current updates.

As an aside, I've just tried it with Opera 11 and both the I.E and the FF versions are working fine as far as I can see, so it's not a big issue. Would be nice to get to the bottom of it though.

Does the fact that it's okay in Opera point to something within my I.E.?

I.E.7 is the default browser.

Thanks,

Piers

westaust55

Hello Piers,

I have done some tests on several PC's with Windows XP SP3.
All are using IE8 but previously had running correctly under IE7.

I have been unable to recreate the same effect when I use the IE version of PEBBLE with IE.
If the FF version of PEBBLE is uued then yes, the components go behind the breadboard.

See the attached screen images.

Attachments

Piers

Hi Westy,

Thanks for looking into it. As I said it runs fine under Opera, so I'm not overly worried.

Piers

Milos

Info & suggestion

Info:
I use Google Chrome (latest ver. 8.0.552.237). I do it on my home NB (Win Vista) and a desktop (Win XP) in my office and everything is OK in both cases. I run PEEBLE.html a I am redirected to Firefox version, of course.

Suggestion:
I work on my project: LC-meter. I would need to have a coil and a quartz in repertoir. I can imagine other parts - thermistors, relais, transformers etc. I think that my problem (and I beleive not only mine) could be solved by universal "a part". The part would have colour and note (inscription) set by user. I suggest a two leg "part" for coil or quartz, a three leg "in-line" part for resonator with caps and a "DIP box" with 4, 6, 8 legs similar to chips or switches for relais or transformers.

Note 1:
It would be good also to have ceramic capacitors with the minimum span - 1.

Note 2:
My first idea was that PEEBLE is a useless thing. After a while I realised that it could be a good documentation tool. The configuration (text file) can be easily archived, e-mailed or even edited. Teachers can use it for examining students - Find an error!

westaust55

@Milos, thank you for the kind words.

While I have received a PM indicating another user has a similar problem using PEBBLE under IE, the fact that it does operate under IE for many does suggest something more specific to the installation on certain PC’s.

With respect to some of your requests, under the Miscellaneous group (ie LDR in the menu) - see attached image - there are already thermistors and several other 2 and 3 terminal devices that might serve as your crystal, etc. There are two examples of relays as SPSP and DPDT in that same group
I can take on board your suggestion for some additional components such as ceramic caps and smaller DIP sized relays.

Attachments

techElder

I've tried my durndest to figure out what "miscell" means on all those components in your attachment without a solution coming to mind. :confused:

John West

I've tried my durndest to figure out what "miscell" means on all those components in your attachment without a solution coming to mind. :confused:
I think those are the underground bunkers from which the PICAXE launches the miscells. Very hush-hush. I'm surprised they could even be seen from the aerial view. They're usually better hidden. :D

westaust55

still does not fit all words:
seize​
sounds like "e" :eek:

so like every "rule" in the English language there are probably more exceptions than complying cases.

Now, where is that fishing line . . . . :confused: :D

papaof2

"i" before "e" except after "c" .....

On the second Wednesday after the full moon, or in the first 10 days after a blue moon, or when <pick something>

John

lbenson

I downloaded the latest version (I think) from Slurp's site. It doesn't seem to have the breadboard I'm using, the Futurlec 60-row board, 1 power rail, no power indicator, white (a longer version of the 50-row one).

Could that be added at some point? For the time being, I'm using the 64-row breadboard image, and ignoring the outside power rails.

Thanks for your efforts with this very useful program.

Milos

To Westaust55:

I am in similar situation and I do the same - use something alike. Would be difficult for you as the author to allow users to create their own breadboards setting parameters - number of rows, power rails etc.?

Last edited:

westaust55

While not impossible, it would be complex to create a variable breadboard as was done with the general strip board feature.

I will keep it in mind, but as employed work has picked up significantly with overtime required at present it is not something I can devote much time to immediately.

I also wish to revist the inconsistency between IE and other browsers and see if I can overcome the problems there. When I developed the floating menu it brought problems needing two front end html files. I have at that time also contemplated a two-frame approach with the menu in the left frame and may need to re examine that idea.

westaust55

PEBBLE V3.0i Updater file

Attached is an updater file to update PEBBLE V3.0g or 3.0h to PEBBLE 3.0i

The additions and fixes are:

3.0i 6 Feb 2011
Added 74HC4051 8-channel Analogue Switch IC == CD4051
Added 74HC4052 Dual 2-channel Analogue Switch IC == CD4052
Added 74HC4051 Triple 2-channel Analogue Switch IC == CD4053
Added SY4090 MOS Relay HFS2 series in DIP6 package to IC group
Added ceramic capacitor selection to capacitor range

3.0h 27 Dec 2010
Corrected outline for SAA1064 to be 0.6 inch wide (not 0.3 inch wide)
Added Speakjet - the Magnevation speech and sound synthesiser chip
Added an "NC" image under misc component set for No Connection indication
Added small tactile momentary switch under the DIP Switch group
Added large tactile momentary switch under the DIP Switch group
Added Jaycar HP9556 Mini Proto Board
Added Jaycar HP9558 Large Proto Board
Added Jaycar HP9540 Small Strip Board 95 x 76 mm
Added Jaycar HP9540 Small Strip Board 95 x 152 mm
Added Jaycar HP9540 Small Strip Board 95 x 303 mm

Don't forget to change the file extension from .dsn to .zip
Then extract all to the location where you have PEBBLE installed
typically C:\PEBBLE

Have fun in a PICAXE world :)

Attachments

westaust55

The file structure is described in a txt document in the Support folder.

There is also a revision list which covers most components or look in the JavaScript folder at the component images file with a text editor.
Keep in mind that wires and resistor images are calculated on the fly and some components such as capacitors are generic.

Last edited:

Jamster

Thanks i downloaded what i think is the latest from slurp's site as i cant get the update to change format to .zip (never mind though).

pilko

Moving groups of objects

Hi westaust55,
Could you possibly develop a way to move several or all components at the same time. I currently make changes by dragging individual components to the new location.
In situations where all components have to be moved would it be easier to move the board instead?

Regards,
pilko.

westaust55

I can certainly have a look/ think about it.
Moving multiple items is tentatively not too difficult. The greater thought will have to go into how to select and "hold" reference to a user selected group of components.
Have another Idea for using frames as opposed to floating menu that I also wish to revisit (did not get it functioning previously) but my work level has increased recently so somewhat time constrained these days.

pilko

Thanks Westy and thanks again for all the work you have put in to developing a great app.
You should have a medal as big as a dustbin lid.

pilko