Just for Ham Radio folks

nbw

085 Wire Stripper

A guy at work suggested this one, honest. It was just me who thought maybe the "young lady" in question could be made of wire....

:)

600_085.jpg

nbw

088 Audio mixer...

"What we need is a great big mixing pot,
big enough to take all of the audio gear you've got...
you could mix it for a hundred beats or more...
until those neighbours one by one, beat down the door..."

600_088.jpg

manuka

Bravo-these are getting very witty indeed & should be in many texts! Don't forget the "totem pole" & "long tailed pair". Stan.

nbw

Yeah, I've got those 2 on the radar Stan - they are definites :)

I am looking to produce a good quality colour, hard-back book of around 150 of the little blighters in November, if anyone is interested. I suspect there will even be a few PICAXE ones in there, maybe even one with a temperature sensor!

I'll send out the link closer to the month. It would probably be a great way of correcting that table's wobbly leg.

And of course, any shameless promotion of the site etc by forum members to friends, colleagues, loved ones, workplaces, educational institutions, lecturers etc shall be rewarded with a credit in the book, seeing as I'm not that good at rescuing kittens or solving the global financial problems.

manuka

You called? Mmm- how about showing a "Thermeister" ice cream delivery truck ("NTC" make),busy selling in steamy climates. It could have a banner "we go down a treat in hot weather" etc. Of course a DS18B20 truck number plate would be apt! The driver could be a Mr.Potato Head style round blue thermistor.

nbw

Oh man, there's another great cartoon idea................. maybe with Peltier modules as seat warmers / coolers (or is that going too far?!?!!)

nbw

Well, there was #70 Notch Filter and #85 Wire Stripper, but on the whole yeah... they're clean enough :)

nbw

Good point Dippy. After last week's snow here in Wgtn - first in about 40 years - I could have done with some seat-warmers. On a related but gossipical / trivial note - apparently M'sieur David Beckham had some in one of his many cars but one set malfunctioned and burned his... er... assets. Dangerous things, be these electronics!

nbw

Ooooh, I can feel the stab from here ;-)

[that may call for a cartoon]

Last edited:

John West

Can I advertise my wares here, or should I start a new thread?
Probably a new thread, unless you have some amusing electronics cartoons to add to this one. Perhaps one with an infinite looking stack of 08M's with the comment, "It's PICAXE's all the way down."

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
In a cartoon, you cannot go too far! As long as it is 'clean' ;)
Joystick ?
Silicon wafer bonding ?
Penetration testing ?

Other food for thought, take 'em or leave 'em ...

Code execution
Virtual ground
Megahertz
ALPS fader

nbw

Joystick ?
Silicon wafer bonding ?
Penetration testing ?

Other food for thought, take 'em or leave 'em ...

Code execution
Virtual ground
Megahertz
ALPS fader
Yep, life's definitely shades of grey rather than black and white! I did a 'floating ground' that had Romeo and Juliet transistors separating from one another, and the slightly dubious Notch Filter featured 'Megahertz'... but I do like the Code Execution idea. Another one added to the list to do!

In the meantime, here's a battery venting....

600_090.jpg

nbw

Haha nice. No one can say electronics is dry and humourless :)

Today's offering... 092 luminance... 600_092.jpg

John West

I'm sure the Sallen-Key filter cartoon is very funny, but I don't know what a Sallen-Key filter is, so it loses a bit in translation. I'm a tech, but that one is too obscure for me.

I like the small humorous details found hidden in your cartoons. They are seldom one dimensional, single joke images. Looking around in the pictures and picking them all out is most of the fun of the cartoons for me. It's a sort of "Where's Waldo" effect.

nbw

This one is really obscure, I'll give you that :)

I started with the name. Sallen-Key. It jumped out and me as Allen Key. Since a Sallen-Key filter is really just a low-pass filter, I thought, well - a graph might be in order (like #70 Notch filter). And therefore instead of a typical low-pass filter graph, I drew it like a series of Allen Keys linked together.

A bit of a far reach that one, but I couldn't let a name like Sallen-Key go without drawing something :)

#95 will be business-as-usual, I promise.