Just for Ham Radio folks

John West

The "Masked Interrupt" seems a bit of a stretch for a pun, but as always, your graphics are excellent work and creative.

nbw

Cheers :) I did have a hankering for a micro-specific cartoon, hence the uP Bank and a brutally rude interruption of the normal customer service process flow.

nbw

I used to love the good old Transformers toys, with their catching byline: "Transformers - more than meets the eye". It wasn't long after I started delving into the world of electronics, I discovered there were also flavours and re-hashes of those, too :)

152. Transformers - More Than Just E-I

SAT_transformers.jpg

nbw

I've created a new character (well 2 actually) - Harold the world's grumpiest, vintage oscilloscope and his friend Ray D'io from the sixties (man). Their first cartoon is up on Scope Junction.

John West

I must admit I can't figure out these cartoons without the text hint. I'd do poorly on them if they were included in an IQ test.

nbw

Hmm, the next cartoon out - definitely read the text first (it's a football commentator). That's, ahem, a "heads-up!"

John West

If it's USA "football" I have a chance. If you mean "football" as played in the rest of the world, I'll have difficulties, as I don't know the game.

inglewoodpete

Oh dear. You could have started something there John.

Barney is in New Zealand, so we'd probably name his breed of "football" as rugby. I understand that USA football originates from rugby but neither seems to connect the foot with the ball very often. I grew up with a game called "Ozzie Rools" but at least they regularly kick the ball.

Me? I just want my quarterback. I lost it in a vending machine in Las Vegas 30 years ago;).

MPep

Yeah that "footsie" is a slang term, although I haven't heard it for quite a few years now.

It does seem rather unfortunate that Rugby Union, Rugby League, "Ozzie Rools", and Soccer all come under the general term Football. Bloody confusing if you ask me.
In NZ, Football generally refers to Rugby (Union).

Paix

I was at Butterworth, Malaysia, many years ago and they flew a milk run daily between Butterworth and Changi, Singapore.

The question people used to ask was, what is the difference between a Bristol Freighter and a Rooster?

The Bristol Freighter flew for the NZ and the Rooster flew for the Hens Arse! Not a lot of people knew that.

nbw

"Unbelievable!" screams the commentator, "Transistor United have equalized, and in such graphic fashion! The changes in the mid-range have given them a real boost..."
"Couldn't agree more," nods his partner in the commentary box, "it's been on the cards since Kirchoff, and now Transistor United are in with a great chance of completing the Treble!"

(with apologies to the one, the only, the Manchester United).graphic-equalizer.jpg

nbw

Pretty close to 70% "rugby football", with maybe 30% / some of us oldies with a colonial leaning still think of "soccer" as "football". But yes, throw in a bit o' St Kilda, a slice of State of Origin, some Patriots, and a whole bunch else - it's all a bunch of grown (wo)men chasing a ball around a paddock :)

Last edited:

nbw

Yes indeed - I was gobsmacked to see that wee winger Shane get recalled, but he's still got it! Will be a classic match, the Aussies will be kicking themselves for losing the first one.......

nbw

It's been a while, but there is a new cartoon in Ohmart land (details on the Ohmart blog for anyone who is interested). It features LEDs and an alternative version of Led Zeppelin. For those younger folks who know only Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Pink, Led Zeppelin came a few decades before them :)

In other only-vaguely-related-to-PICAXE news, I finished making my latest torch: it uses a 10W LED strip, contains a 2.2Ah SLA battery and a built in battery-check voltmeter. A handy emergency light for all of the q-q-q-qquakes we've been having!
IMG_1697.jpg

inglewoodpete

Wow that one might cause a few quakes!

You (well, parts of NZ) are sure getting more than your share of earthquakes lately. Lets hope the next "big one" is many years away.

I think the Aussies should take more care with their "plate".