Picaxe Editor 6 for Linux

steliosm

I never actually managed to run the editor on Linux using wine. I had to use a virtual machine running windows for the editor to run.
Currently, I started using vscode to write code which is better than having to run a VM machine.

steliosm

Hippy, any change we can get the pre-proccesor ported for linux?
Developing code for a Picaxe limited to a single file gets very messy very fast.

bpowell

In my opinion (and I'm a BIG linux fan) ... I've spent MUCH more than what I'd consider to be $100-worth of my personal time getting PE6 running in linux ... it's doable for sure, and once done, works great ... but if you're new to Linux, it's going to be a beast of a job ... you'd be better off buying a Win10 license (for $100) and installing that (either dual-boot, or a separate machine) and use that machine for programming.

Just my opinion of course.

steliosm

In my case I tried running PE6 with wine on linux but it didn't work. I switched to using a KVM based vm to run WinXP (using the license I had left from a dead laptop) and works great. I use VSCode for quick tests or small project, but when I need to write "a lot of code" I fire up the vm and use PE6.

Gramps

Not sure what you mean here Gramps
I read a ton of posts you guys have made about getting the editor to run on Linux. I realize now this project is Way Way Beyond the ability of this old boy!
So for me using a virtual machine sounds like the way to go. steliosm, I just wondered if there were some drawbacks to using the editor that way.

kfjl

Rev-Ed provide a native linux editor with detailed instructions on how to install it. It's called LinAXEpad. They also show how to change the FTDI product ID so it will work without any configuration in linux. No more messing with driver installation to get the cable working. I use a home-made cable with an FTDI board and a 74HCT04 inverter.

If you really can't do without the "whistles and bells" Windows editor, you could try PE5:

https://picaxeforum.co.uk/threads/windows-7-alternative.31582/page-2

I tried PE5 but prefer axepad.

steliosm

Gramps, no drawbacks actually. You need to make sure that the virtualization software is able to access host usb devices in order to be able to program the chips. Also file system access on the host is a good option here in order to be able to keep the code on the main PC and only access it through the virtual machine during development. I use kvm for virtualization. I don't see any performance issues since PE6 is already pretty sluggish, even on a high power laptop that I sometimes use to program the chips.

kfjl, axepad is very unstable on my system. Might have to do with my libraries, but most of the time the editor just crashes and vanishes along with my work. Rev Ed should have provided that as an AppImage in order to be already bundled with the proper libraries that was developed with. I need to use PE6 some times because of the advanced features it has.

bpowell

I use a home-made cable with an FTDI board and a 74HCT04 inverter.
I have a FTDI (it's a clone I believe) dedicated to PICAXE ... you can run the FTDI configuration utility and invert the signals natively ... no need for an inverter.

kfjl

steliosm,
The vanishing and crashing is probably because you don't have all the 32-bit files installed. You could try starting axepad from a terminal in the hope of getting some usefull error messages.

bpowell,
FTPROG only works with genuine FTDI chips like the one in the axe027 cable. That's how I found out mine are all knock-offs. That's fair enough, I paid a knock-off price! Yours must be the real thing.