PICAXE Editor 6.0.6.2 now available for download

inglewoodpete

I can't run PE Vers. 6.0.6.2: The PE crashes during startup. The splash screen appears then the crash/auto-feedback dialogue appears, sends data, nothing further loads but the splash screen remains on top. I have to use the Task manager to get rid of the splash. I tried rebooting the PC too: no luck.

I guess I'll go back to 6.0.6.0 6.0.6.1 if it doesn't load tomorrow.

W7/64

* There doesn't appear to be a feedback link any more.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Lots of people are using 6.0.6.2, and this is the first start up crash report (which would probably be caused by a dll version mix up). So try a complete full uninstall, reboot then reinstall.

grim_reaper

I'm also running Windows 7 x64, and also loaded 6.0.6.2 with no problems at all. I even defied the rules and deliberately left the previous version installed to try and repeat inglewoodpete's issue, but it just ran fine anyway!
If it helps, I upgraded from a previous version of 6.0.5.9 beta.

Goeytex

A suggestion:

Why not change the name of the download file so that it represents what is being downloaded?. I've got too many "setup.exe" files that I can't tell what they are at first glance.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
A suggestion:

Why not change the name of the download file so that it represents what is being downloaded?. I've got too many "setup.exe" files that I can't tell what they are at first glance.
A very good idea, we'll look into that.

grim_reaper

I always rename everything I download to a (usually longer and more descriptive) name!
But then I've been developing in Windows for 20 years, so it's become a habit that I guess a lot of others won't automatically do.

Technical: Have you got any idea when the beta phase is likely to end? Are we looking at proper release in the next few months?

Goeytex

I always rename everything I download to a (usually longer and more descriptive) name!
But then I've been developing in Windows for 20 years, so it's become a habit that I guess a lot of others won't automatically do.
Everything? ...Really? I've been doing this stuff since before Windows existed and before the Internet was available to the masses (BBS's only) and I only rename stuff that needs to be renamed because it is either non-descriptive ( eg. Microchip Datasheets) or is ambiguous/redundant (eg. setup.exe) . I've got better things to do with my time than to rename everything I download.

I try to preserve the original filenames as much as possible in case I need to reference them to a mfg, supplier, or developer.

grim_reaper

Yup, really :D
I remember the unnecessary excitement while at college when my friends and I discovered that Windows 95 could handle 255 character file names... the madness just spiralled out from there.. lol

I have better things to do with my time too, but fortunately the computers at work are so dog slow that I have plenty of their (paid) time to do these things :p

inglewoodpete

Yes, I rename the file as I download it too. I have previously tried to install several of the earlier betas without selecting "Run as Administrator" and ran into permissions problems so now include that in the filename as a reminder!

Eg. PE_6.0.6.2_RunAsAdministrator.exe

As an aside, the computer is only two weeks old, plenty of everything in it (3.4GHz quad core, 8GB RAM, SSD). PE v 6.0.6.0 6.0.6.1 has been running fine on it for that period- it loads really quickly when compared with my old hardware. This was unloaded before loading 6.0.6.2, which has not run successfully.

I'm at work at the moment but will try a reinstall tonight (about 10 hours from now). Stay tuned!

Last edited:

grim_reaper

I've just noticed, after reading the revision history for 6.0.6.2, that one of the changes is "Installer no longer requires prior uninstall of beta version".
Which blows my theory out of the water for a second time. Oh well!

inglewoodpete

I unloaded PE V6.0.6.2, rebooted the PC and then loaded a fresh copy of PE V6.0.6.2.

Same problem: Crash during start up. I then have to use the task manager to remove the splash window/image.

Any tips on where to look for a DLL problem? Would there be any benefit to me of seeing the error report?

Edit: OK. I've now unloaded V6.0.6.2, rebooted and successfully loaded V6.0.6.1. Everything works again. What changed with V6.0.6.2?

Last edited:

grim_reaper

Obviously Technical is the one to ask about investigating this, but I'm more than happy to offer an opinion if you post more details about the error message/report.
A screen dump of the processes tab in task manager before you killed it would be a starting point.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
What changed with V6.0.6.2?
The updates are listed on the www.picaxe.com/PE6 page. There is no change that we can see that would cause this, other than a DLL being out of date.

Try deleting all the PICAXE_Editor_ xxxx .xml settings files in My Documents/PICAXE Editor/Settings/
If you have a customised setup (e.g. customised ribbon) then removing these files will restore you to default status.

John West

When I change the name of a file I've downloaded I append the old name (in brackets) to the new one. That way I can always do a search for the old file name if I need to. It makes for long file names, but I don't care. I have enough storage space to handle them.

inglewoodpete

The updates are listed on the www.picaxe.com/PE6 page. There is no change that we can see that would cause this, other than a DLL being out of date.

Try deleting all the PICAXE_Editor_ xxxx .xml settings files in My Documents/PICAXE Editor/Settings/
If you have a customised setup (e.g. customised ribbon) then removing these files will restore you to default status.
Are you saying my PC or the PE may have a DLL out of date? It is a possibility, for sure, but the PC has a new installation of W7/64 that was downloaded from Microsoft only 2 weeks before the crashing started to occur. Microsoft Windows-etc. update says the OS is up-to-date.

If you can identify the DLLs and versions you are expecting, I'll check what I have loaded.

I'm using 6.0.6.1 at the moment and it is fairly trouble free so I'm reluctant to change back to 6.0.6.2 again. I'll try the next update when it comes out, deleting the setting.xml files if it fails.

fierojo

Hi,

I just loaded 6.0.6.2 onto a Windows 7, 64 bit machine. Everything went well except for the desktop shortcut. Never happened. Had to put one up manually.

Only other comment (so far) is that Version 5 had a great big down load screen, making it easier to see the download progress. I miss it, but guess I can live without it.

Thanks for the great work and keeping things up to date.

Fierojo

bpowell

Well, I don't want to add unnecessary confusion here...but I'm trying to run the latest PE software on Ubuntu 14.04 using Wine...I'm getting a crash at startup...

I get the splash-screen, and then a Picaxe Editor notification window saying, "The type initializer for 'Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Diagramm.MeasureUnitsConverter' threw an exception"

Any idea what could be causing this? I'd really like to get totally away from Windows if I can help it! :)

Thanks!

grim_reaper

I've just looked at the Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Diagram.MeasureUnitsConverter details on their web site. It's a big object!

Did PE produce a bug report/debug thingy for RevEd to look at?

bpowell

Hi Grim...PE says it produced a bug report...I'm not sure it went anywhere though...no way to tell if it's really successful or not.

bpowell

Here's the output from the terminal when trying to run PE...

Code:
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.
fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x32fc6c): stub
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.VisualBasic"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Xml"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Compression.Base"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Edit.Windows"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Shared.Base"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Pdf.Base"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.DocIO.Base"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Management"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Tools.Windows"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.XlsIO.Base"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Grid.Windows"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Core"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Diagram.Base"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Diagram.Windows"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Data"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Chart.Base"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Accessibility"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Runtime.Remoting"
fixme:process:FlushProcessWriteBuffers : stub
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Chart.Windows"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"PicaxeEditor.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"{1c40ebd7-f54b-4aa5-b6ae-30c30fa207bb}"
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount stub
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.GridHelperClasses.Windows"
fixme:gdiplus:GdipGetFamilyName No support for handling of multiple languages!
fixme:gdiplus:GdipCreateHalftonePalette stub
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Syncfusion.Core"
fixme:gdiplus:GdipGetNearestColor (0x1c3dd8, 0x320f74): Passing color unmodified
fixme:gdiplus:GdipGetNearestColor (0x1c3dd8, 0x320f74): Passing color unmodified
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Configuration"
fixme:gdiplus:GdipBeginContainer (0x21ee38, 0x31dbb4, 0x31dba4, 2, 0x31dbc4): stub
fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {c3fcc19e-a970-11d2-8b5a-00a0c9b7c9c4}
fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {b196b283-bab4-101a-b69c-00aa00341d07}
fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {00000003-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:olepicture:OLEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {00000144-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 8 on event 0

geoff07

PE6 (and PE5) don't run under WINE. Even with beta versions of forthcoming Ubuntu releases. Rev-Ed don't test against WINE. But you can run PE6 under your windows license under virtualbox (free) under Ubuntu. That works and you can even use the clipboard between windows and Ubuntu.

And a Linux version is expected later.

bpowell

Thanks Geoff...

I figured Rev Ed didn't test running under Wine. I do use the Virtualbox solution...but I'm trying to migrate away from Windows completely...it's not a big deal...I just thought I'd throw the error out there and see if people had any ideas.

If the linux version of PE is as sharp as Version 6 in windows...I'll be in love!

Thanks!

inglewoodpete

Back to my problem with starting PE 6.0.6.2 under Windows 7/64. (Windows Home Premium Version 6.1 Build 7601: Service Pack 1) Windows update says its up to date.

I did the following steps:
  • Unloaded 6.0.6.1
  • Moved C:\Users\Peter\Documents\PICAXE Editor\Settings\*.xml to a temporary folder.
  • Rebooted PC.
  • Loaded 6.0.6.2. I chose the option for only myself to use the PE. (Mrs IP also uses the PC for important things like EMail and Facebook)
  • Launched 6.0.6.2 using the option in the installer and the PE crashed: refer to the attached graphic.
  • Error message reads: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Suggests a coding oversight.

Due to the need to do further development work, I have reverted back to V6.0.6.1 again.

I can load and test a diagnostic version of the PE if requited. Let me know via PM or Email.

PE6062Crash.PNG

Buzby

• Launched 6.0.6.2 using the option in the installer and the PE crashed: refer to the attached graphic.
  • Error message reads: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Suggests a coding oversight.
When I installed 6.0.6.2 I did not remove the 'old' PE6, the revision notes said that was not necessary.
My install went OK, no issues like others are seeing. ( My machine is XP Pro SP3 )

OT:
The 'Object reference not set' error has not happened to me in PE6.
However, I have recently seen it happen on another PC with a different application, not PE6.
The other application, ( whose per seat license costs £13,250 each ! ), is built using similar tools to SyncFusion, but from Infragistics.

Can one of you Windows developers tell me why there are so many 3rd party objects to do simple things like menus and tables, surely Windows has it's own versions that developers can use ?.

Buzby

Circuit

Back to my problem with starting PE 6.0.6.2 under Windows 7/64. (Windows Home Premium Version 6.1 Build 7601: Service Pack 1) Windows update says its up to date.
I am also running Windows 7 - 64 bit version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 Home Premium; Processor is Intel Core i5.

I just loaded up 6.0.6.2 over the old version without removing it as advised was now possible.
Version 6.0.6.2 ran immediately like a dream... no problems at all in the installation or running. What can be the difference between our two systems?

inglewoodpete

I am also running Windows 7 - 64 bit version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 Home Premium; Processor is Intel Core i5.

I just loaded up 6.0.6.2 over the old version without removing it as advised was now possible.
Version 6.0.6.2 ran immediately like a dream... no problems at all in the installation or running. What can be the difference between our two systems?
I don't doubt that nearly all loads of 6.0.6.2 work. However, mine doesn't and I sure there will be a few computers out in the ether that suffer the same problem. Hopefully, we can get on top of it.

Our systems appear to be very similar. The difference is that I am using a Windows 7 licence (that I bought a couple of years ago - not relevant I suspect) but am using new hardware and a fresh load (ISO file) from Microsoft. Most new computers these days probably start with Windows 8 as the default and most of the older ones started with an older version of Microsoft's W7 ISO.

bpowell

PE6 (and PE5) don't run under WINE. Even with beta versions of forthcoming Ubuntu releases. Rev-Ed don't test against WINE. But you can run PE6 under your windows license under virtualbox (free) under Ubuntu. That works and you can even use the clipboard between windows and Ubuntu.

And a Linux version is expected later.
Nothing a little sweat and tears won't fix...

Behold: PE6 running under Wine on Ubuntu 14.04...happily simulating a complex program. I haven't programmed a chip with it yet, but the AXE027 cable passed the loopback and voltage test. Whether this all works after a power-cycle is another question. (it does!)

I haven't done much playing, but it's a great start!
Screenshot from 2014-03-02 22:10:42.png

Edit: Survived a power cycle and disconnect / reconnect of AXE027 cable to different USB port. Passed Download cable test again.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I did the following steps:
  • Unloaded 6.0.6.1
  • Moved C:\Users\Peter\Documents\PICAXE Editor\Settings\*.xml to a temporary folder.
  • Rebooted PC.
  • Loaded 6.0.6.2. I chose the option for only myself to use the PE. (Mrs IP also uses the PC for important things like EMail and Facebook)
Due to the need to do further development work, I have reverted back to V6.0.6.1 again.
I can load and test a diagnostic version of the PE if requited. Let me know via PM or Email.
We have checked your crash report and it is because one of the DLLs is out of date in the GAC. The crash reports really do help as they show us the code line exactly, in this case it is a feature only in the latest DLL. There are no other reports filed with the same error, so this looks like a local machine issue.

We don't normally recommend people poke around in the GAC, as it can lead to problems, but in this situation normally uninstalling the whole PE6 installation, restarting the computer and then reinstalling will normally fix the issue. If you email support directly we'll give you the exact DLL name to check.

Last edited:

tmfkam

Nothing a little sweat and tears won't fix...

Behold: PE6 running under Wine on Ubuntu 14.04...happily simulating a complex program. I haven't programmed a chip with it yet, but the AXE027 cable passed the loopback and voltage test. Whether this all works after a power-cycle is another question. (it does!)

I haven't done much playing, but it's a great start!

Edit: Survived a power cycle and disconnect / reconnect of AXE027 cable to different USB port. Passed Download cable test again.
I tried with an early beta of PE6 with Wine on the Mac and failed, despite much effort to persuade it to run. I kept running into the 'SyncFusion' errors you mentioned in an earlier post.

What magic wand did you wave at it to make it work for you?

grim_reaper

Can one of you Windows developers tell me why there are so many 3rd party objects to do simple things like menus and tables, surely Windows has it's own versions that developers can use ?.
Don't get me started... lol. There are indeed many built-in controls for all the standard stuff, but there's always something lacking that needs to be added in sooner or later. It's sometimes easier to start with a 3rd party 'full blown over-the-top' menu (or whatever) and then just not use the stuff you don't want. In my (rare) opinion, there are too many bug-ridden third party controls that add nothing to an application aside from looking pretty and only working on high-spec machines :D

We have checked your crash report and it is because one of the DLLs is out of date in the GAC.
No offence (to anyone!), but if people don't recognise the all-too-common generic error 'Object reference..blah.. not found', then there's a fair chance they won't know what the GAC is!
I think your developers should look at the installer package settings; they should be set to force GAC updates for libraries like that (been several years since I dealt with that side of things though!)

bpowell

I tried with an early beta of PE6 with Wine on the Mac and failed, despite much effort to persuade it to run. I kept running into the 'SyncFusion' errors you mentioned in an earlier post.

What magic wand did you wave at it to make it work for you?
Everything I did with Wine I did forcing a 32-bit architecture prefix...so, you'll want to prefix your commands with:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ command here...

This will create a new Wine "instance" on your machine in the win32 directory.

Then, use Winetricks to install dotnet35sp1 (which will install a ton of other stuff, I'll provide a list)...corefonts, msxml3, msxml4, msxml6, and I think *this* is what fixed the syncfusion: gdiplus. I also installed mfc40.

Here's everything my Winetricks has installed (most of it automaticallly called by the dotnet35sp1 or dotnet40)
Code:
dotnet40
remove_mono
dotnet35
dotnet30sp1
dotnet30
dotnet20
remove_mono
fontfix
dotnet35
dotnet30sp1
dotnet30
w_workaround_wine_bug-30845
dotnet20sp1
w_workaround_wine_bug-33450
msxml3
dotnet35sp1
dotnet20sp2
w_workaround_wine_bug-22521
msxml4
msxml6
corefonts
gdiplus
mfc40
Then, of course, install the PE editor...but remember, install it from the command line...and install is using the prefix above: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ wine PEINstaller.exe

Then, I created a launcher with the command being something along the lines of: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32/ wine /home/me/win32/drive_c/Program Files/Revolution Education/PICAXE/pe6.exe (not the exact command...but close)

Do all of that and you'll be in business! If you're running the most current linux kernel, then changes have been made to ftdi_sio and you can no longer just modprobe it with your AXE27 PID VID to get it connected...see this thread here...http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?25488-Ubuntu-14-04-won-t-recognize-AXE027-cable (post #4)

Also, you'll have to do a little hack to the registry file in your win32 directory to force the hardware to be available...so...in your win32/dosdevices directory, create a symbolic link to /dev/ttyUSB0 (or whatever your system assigns to the AXE027 cable).
e.g.
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/win32/dosdevices/COM1

Then, edit your system.reg file in the win32 directory and add the following at the top or bottom:

[HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM]
"COM1"="COM1"

I hope to create a better "how to" post and lay this out a little better...but this should get you up and running...it's very nice!

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for this, we'll be interested to hear in how others get on. And yes, both dotnet35sp1 and gdi+ are required.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I think your developers should look at the installer package settings; they should be set to force GAC updates for libraries like that (been several years since I dealt with that side of things though!)
It does, if it didn't these updates wouldn't work for anyone!
This error is on one particular machine, it is not a general problem with the installer.

tmfkam

Then, use Winetricks to install dotnet35sp1 (which will install a ton of other stuff, I'll provide a list)...corefonts, msxml3, msxml4, msxml6, and I think *this* is what fixed the syncfusion: gdiplus. I also installed mfc40.

Many, many, many thanks.
I do now have the PE6 editor installed, under Wine on my Mac running OS X (10.9).
I created a WineSkin, used as you suggested, WineTricks to install DotNet35sp1 and MFC40 (which I did before) and (crucially!) GDI+. This got me up and running. Programs load, compile and simulate.

PE6.jpg

Unfortunately I've not been able to get the USB-Serial cable to work. I've tried the following:

Open terminal and issue the following commands:
cd /Users/tmfkam/Applications/Wineskin/PicAXE6.app/Contents/Resources/dosdevices [clearly the path to the 'dosdevices' location is dependent on your user name and the name of your PicAXE editor 'Wineskin']

ln -s /dev/tty.usbserial-403314FA COM1 [I found the name of the USB-Serial device by opening a second terminal window and typing: cd /dev {Return} ls {Return} and then locating the device name of the USB serial product]

cd /system/library/extensions

chgrp -R wheel ProlificUsbSerial.kext

chgrp -R wheel FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
The above commands were recommended as worth a try if permissions prevented Wine from loading the USB Serial port. I couldn't remember which of the drivers were relevant to the AXE027 cable, so set the group ownership on both.

I then opened the /Users/tmfkam/Applications/Wineskin/PicAXE6.app/Contents/Resources/system.reg file using TextEdit and added the command:
[HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM]
“COM1”=“COM1”

to the end of the file.

PE6 still doesn't see any serial ports.

I'm sure I'm missing something. I'm not good with the command line (Terminal) and struggle to make sense of the Unix command set so it may well be some syntactical error in my commands, but I've been at it for hours without success.

Of course if I want to simulate a program, PE6 within Wine would be ideal, before using MacAXEpad to download to the device so this isn't a huge problem, it would be interesting to find out why the serial port isn't working though.

PE6 from within Wine doesn't seem to work too well with the menus in 'classic' mode, most of the commands are black with the text only showing when the mouse is directly over the relevant menu command, and clicking on them fails to do anything. Some commands within the 'ribbon' mode also fail to do anything when clicked. This is most probably an issue with Wine, and not a reflection on PE6. I only mention it to warn fellow Mac users.

Last edited: