Just for Ham Radio folks

nbw

134.Thermal Resistance

Even in the electronics world, it seems mothers can't escape from the daily chores :)

SAT_thermal-resistance.jpg

nbw

135.Hex Inverter
600_hex-inverter.jpg
Garbage in, treasure out!Turn nothing into something!
Or, a rather puzzled but possibly quite content frog, into a handsome "Buffer" Prince IC, all courtesy of (skinny DIP!) Princess number 4069, C. Moss.

manuka

nbw: One of your best- the attention to detail (shadows,oily rags etc) is amazing! Perhaps a garage "e-logo" could however be added in that empty space just before the firms name ? As LTP of course have emitters tied together, maybe link a "leg" on each stroller,perhaps "3 legged race" style?

Next the Totem Pole?

Attachments

nbw

Hi Stan, yes I wanted to get those emitters tied together. Thought I'd just use a little artistic licence and have the workshop boys watching those nice ladies tastefully holding, er, their emitters. I do like the 3-legged race idea though!

Totem Pole is somewhere on the list to do. I hope to get the book of cartoons (in colour, softback and hardback!) ready for purchase approx Nov - Long-tailed pair is one of the pix that will be in there :)

cheers!

nbw

137.Ferrite Core

Harness the power of the humble "apple". Wrap a bit of enamelled wire around the core, and it'll be ready for all kinds of electronic jobs.
One good turn deserves about 99 more.

SAT_ferrite-core.jpg

inglewoodpete

I think the boy "over the creek" is having a go at my accent!

If you want some real Aussie dialect, try this 1960s poem (first verse reproduced here):

Hagger Nigh Tell?

Hagger night telephime reely reel?
Hadder Y. Noah Fimere?
Car sigh only nowered I thing ky feel,
An maybe I'm knotty veneer.

nbw

Guilty as charged, y'honour! A random act of trans-Tasman teasing, buoyed by the win of the Chiefs in the Super Rugby tonight and the (temporary) bragging rights NZ has at the Olympics :)

inglewoodpete

Bragging rights granted. I get howls of protest from my many NZ nieces and newphews when I tease them about the differences between our accents. (You have fush and chups while we have feesh and cheeps:))

nbw

Olympic special!
SAT_async2.jpg
139.Asynchronous counter

Well, this would probably be the only realistic way to beat Usain Bolt – if he were a synchronous counter and forced to wait for the start-gun, while Joe Bloggs got to start whenever. Asynchronous counter. Great for any circuit.

nbw

140. Rise time

Very important in electronics. Some things have a faster than expected rise time, and when ignored can cause issues where you yeast expect it. That's loaf, I suppose.

sat_rise-time2.jpg

nbw

142.Amplifier classes: from efficiency-plus to room-heaters, there's a class to suit everyone, A?

SAT_amplifier-class2.jpg

techElder

I ran a quick search of your site and didn't find but one mention of "toroid."

With the influence of the Mexican border, I'm thinking "El Toro!", "bull", "matador", "bull ring", "toro id", "overheating" and "red".

nbw

143.A day at the traces

SAT-traces.jpg

“And here’s Relay Fast, out of the final turn! He’s charging into the ohm straight, making this trace his own!”

nbw

144.Zobel snubbed

Life can be tough.You work microsecond in, microsecond out, watching and catching errant spikes.
It's supposed to be your night - your dreams of winning a Zobel Peace Prize have been dashed every year, but now... now... oh man, snubbed AGAIN!

Attachments

nbw

145.Parasitic coupling

"Nora and Ah, well we's a run aways and I's done put the best electron ah could afford on her lil' ol' claw there, and we gots us hitched in an old motel off the main signal line..."

Attachments

nbw

146. Rectifier
"We’s jes singing us some tunes, toastin’ some diodes, and then along comes some two-bit son-of-a and… rectifier. Oh."

Attachments

nbw

We interrupt this thread to quickly announce that a full-colour, all-you-can-eat, glossy book of OhmArt cartoons is due for release mid- to late- November. I'm right in the middle of organising it now, self-publishing - no greedy publishers taking big cuts. There will be cheaper softcover and luxurious hardcover versions. All proceeds go to my hideously expensive driveway which needs repair, and more pens so I can draw more cartoons. After that, any spare money will go to saving the rainforest, rescuing kittens, and buying batteries for my mother-in-law's hearing aid (bless her).

The book would make a great Christmas present for a loved one, to weigh down thin super models who may otherwise blow away, or simply as an excellent leg-leveller for uneven tables.

I realise that one generally shouldn't spam the forum with this kind of thing (commercial, though I don't expect to be making it to the Forbes list off the proceeds), but figured if I kept it to this thread, at least only the people who were interested in the cartoons would see it.

Kind regards
Barney

And now, we return to our program.

nbw

147. Reverse breakdown

"Hello, welcome to Zener Insurance, how may we help you?"
"I was, like, just driving along a very gentle slope and all of a sudden, BLAM! This, like, big thing - didn't get the plate ..."

Attachments

nbw

148. Foldback limiting

Ow, ow, ow – foldback limiting. Put the ‘zen’ back in ‘zener’. Flow your ‘ying’ with your ‘yang’, before your knee goes ‘pang’, man. Ow.

SAT_foldback-limiting2.jpg

Jeremy Harris

Just a quick word of thanks for posting these, they really brighten my day every time a new one appears!

I look forward to the book coming out in due course; maybe you could persuade Rev Ed to stock it.

nbw

Thanks Jeremy! There may be something we can do there. Cartoon number 150 - the final one in the book - features a PICAXE :)

nbw

picaxe_600.jpg

150. The PICAXE Inventor!

What can't you make with these useful little blighters, eh?!

p.s. yes - the OhmArt book is out - in glorious colour - "modest-er" priced softcover, or "less-modestly-costed-but-sexier" hardcover. Imagine the lady in your life's eyes on Chrimbo morn when she unwraps a volume of obtuse electronics humour..............

nbw

Nick gets 10 pts for passing the, er, test. Must have had 'org' on the brain yesterday. Thanks Nick

ROHM = Reduction of Hazardous Materials / some also refer to it as ROHS (Substances) or ROHVI (Visiting Inlaws - as I had recently......)

nick12ab

ROHM = Reduction of Hazardous Materials / some also refer to it as ROHS (Substances) or ROHVI (Visiting Inlaws - as I had recently......)
How did I miss your reply for two days!?

Anyway, did you just make that up? There's no Wikipedia article for Reduction of Hazardous Materials (but there is one for Restriction of Hazardous Materials) plus it's the name of a semiconductor manufacturer so it's also misleading.

nbw

In the final "sspam" (soft-sp@m) for the OhmArt book, I thought it worth mentioning a $10 off shipping promo code I just got. In the order I just received (quality checking - both versions are good; the hardback is great), the bookmakers Blurb included a $10 off shipping code. Use the promo code CHEERS to get this. I see no reason why this shouldn't work for multiple folks.

My shipping was $12.50 and I live just north of Antarctica, so I think US and UK citizens should do even better.

Cheers!

Links to books, and now thou shalt be left in peace (until cartoon #151).

Merry Christmas, folks!

I won't bother folks with every electronics cartoon I do, but I really liked this one and thought there might be a few on the forum who are into this...
I like your cartoon. So how long will it be before some HAM operator, inspired by your cartoon, builds a radio receiver inside a pork roast? I guess I will need to watch out on my next holiday dinner invitation. "Would anyone care for some mashed potatoes? Peas, anyone? Carrots, Daphne? Boiled baluns, Bob?" :)

nbw

After what could loosely be described as a cartooning-holiday (I didn't do any for a few months, but got snowed under at work instead), I decided it was time for OhmArt to get busy again.

Recently I designed a cartoon for the folks over at ScopeJunction.com: this one is of a coward fuse. Murphy’s Law, I recall, had a clause something along the lines of:

‘A $600 TV tube will protect a 10 cent fuse by blowing first!’
Too true, too true.
The cartoon is here.

p.s. Happy 2013 to you all! Only 2 months late :)