Forum Etiquette

alband

Referring the the thread names - is it possible to edit them?
As a few of you kindly know I have "pulsin then serout" going at the moment but it has covered so man topics and really should now be called something like "Gyro's or PICAXE".
The problem is that unless people happened to check the newly named one, they wouldn't know where the old one had gone :confused:.

Jeremy Leach

I've just had a play on an old post of mine. Seems wierd, but if you edit the first post, then press edit again, you get to be able to edit the title of the thread. Hmm.

alband

Shall we all start doing that then; I'll go first;)
Course I'd include both names for a while, then just the new one and mention it in the thread.

Jeremy Leach

Sorry, just to clarify .... I edited the first post of a thread I'd started. Go on, add a full stop after 'pulsin then servo' ;)

Last edited:

alband

Misunderstanding.
I meant:
"Shall we all start using that to edit the names of our own posts to suit the needs of the begginers searching, and the current subscribers." :D or something like that.

BeanieBots

Agree Jez, It could get silly if we all changed the titles.
Alband, sorry, couldn't resist. Abuse of power. Put it back if you like:)

alband

Agreed, or perhaps when a post is done and dry, change the name to be more relevant than the content.

westaust55

Editing thread and post titles

Referring the the thread names - is it possible to edit them?
As a few of you kindly know I have "pulsin then serout" going at the moment but it has covered so man topics and really should now be called something like "Gyro's or PICAXE".
The problem is that unless people happened to check the newly named one, they wouldn't know where the old one had gone :confused:.
I guess this is a good reason what we should use a new thread for a new topic. Many threads like this one have permutated from "Forum Etiquette" into a couple of topics.

Think you will find that if as the initiator, if you go to your first post and then into edit mode then click GO ADVANCED, it will show the overall thread title for you to edit. For the rest of use the same thing allows us to edit our individual titles.

A good reason however to use a Thread title better than just
"Help me plz coz its urgent!"

In fact I note than many do not give any title to their response posts (and I have been a bit lax with that of recent, particularly in this thread). That makes it very hard to do a search on post titles only.

Mind you a search for "Give me a list of all the posts about nothing" could get some funny results if it were possible. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Posting reply to test the reply title

I had seen the title option when using the advanced reply, but never had tried it before. If this helps when searching, I'll start using it :D

I see there is a spell checker too....cool!

LizzieB

The best way to change a title (if you must) is to keep the old title as "formerly" e.g.

"Where's the "any" key? - formerly Critical windows bug"

Michael 2727

"Where's the "any" key? - formerly Critical windows bug"
"Where's the "any" key? - EDIT: Critical windows bug"
I don't have an "any" key, must be an enhanced Vista function :(

papaof2

I the early days of PCs, there was a vendor who sold adhesive keytop stickers with the word ANY on them, along with other stickers that were specific to various programs. Maybe a Google search will find a source? ;-)

John

Dippy

I've only just found this and read it with interest and amusement. Well, the feathers certainly got ruffled didn't they!?!
Though I DO support the courtesy aspect. After all, it costs nothing.

Re: Readme and Rules files: BB and others said "How many people read them and how many abide by them?"
How many Popes are there in New Zealand?

To Andrew, who said of me " who is currently abroad ".
Are you trying to say I've had the operation? :)

I haven't noticed anyone using the unofficial query 'form'.
Did it die a death like so many WIBNIs?
Ah well, nice try.

Andrew Cowan

I doubt we'll ever find out where Dippy's been for the last month. He is being highly mysterious. I think it must have something to do with the secret service, or some other highly classified operation. Possibly scouting out potential holiday venues for some important govenment figure.

A

Dippy

Andrew:-
Mysterious
If I told you, I'd have to ... show you my photographs of telegraph poles including the Mk3 Treetorn SkyCable that I found just outside Wicke. A particularly interesting model, oh yes! Very famous due to selective timber sourcing and linear open wood grain allowing deeper and more reliable penetration of the polymeric preservative thus allowing a higher degree of structural flex and resulting in a particularly unusual performance stress-strain curve. The benefits of this are longevity and resistance to failure due to overload and therefore can carry heavier cables than other posts of similar dimensions and weights.

Yes, death may be preferable!

Andrew Cowan

I can see that a more open structure would allow more "polymeric preservative" to be absorbed, as well as allowing more flex, but surely the strength is provided by the wood, not by the preservative?

Anyway, I feel this may be going slightly off topic...

A

gbrusseau

As a lifetime archer, I can say with confidence, that if you use a new bow string that has not been rubbed down with bees wax, it will not last very long before breaking. A new bow string that has been rubbed down with bees wax will last a very long time. Periodic waxing of the string will make it last for many many years. Unwaxed, and your talking weeks.

I have now put my hip boots on and am ready to voice my two cents. I really like short posts. Long post seem to confuse me. Long mandtory forms to fill out, put me off. I suspect very few members are willing to fill out a long form just to ask a simple question.
I have often gone to websites to order parts or get info, but when confronted with a new member form and questionaire before I can order the part, immediately makes me find a different vendor. When replying to a post, I make my own determination if this is a lazy student or a resourceful one. Asking the question won't get you an honest answer. If I'm having a bad day, I won't post any replies, because I know I will probably be rude. This is much to do about nothing in my opinion.

westaust55

I've only just found this and read it with interest and amusement. Well, the feathers certainly got ruffled didn't they!?!
Though I DO support the courtesy aspect. After all, it costs nothing.

I haven't noticed anyone using the unofficial query 'form'.
Did it die a death like so many WIBNIs?
Ah well, nice try.
While the content of the unofficial query form was posted into a couple of threads the response from others varied. Some liked it and others . . . well did not. There where those who disliked the unofficial query form because it contained the word "we" and did not want to be classed as part of the "we", royal or otherwise.

I referred a number of new members to the query form in the sandbox (without pasting the entire form into their thread and some were grateful for the guidance.

I note that while older posts are still in the sandbox that the query thread has now been removed.

Look at the latest USB to serial cable thread.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11188
5 posts into the thread and we still do not know the make/model of the cable - people just do not give enough/clear information up front
=========================
Irrespective of all else, it is appreciated when the enquirer does say "Thank-you" to those who helped get their project working.

Last edited: