Using an ATX powers supply with picaxe

GAP

In Manual 1 on page 26 it says that old computer powers supplies are not suitable for picaxe.

Is this because of filtering or is it because of regulation issues?

If filtering would a 4700uF or bigger capacitor the issue?

This question has probably been asked a million times but I couldn't find any reference to it.

premelec

Some such supplies need to have some load and can have high transient output voltages - PICAXE is easily blown with too much voltage and current and these supplies can put out both... so it's possible but not recomended - you could put a crowbar on the output or add another series regulator to the 12volts etc... in general more complications than satisfactory result - unless you really need the high output power... then watch out for transients etc...

Marcwolf

HI
I use an old ATX powersupply on my bench top and run Picaxes, Arduino's, Propellers, and other systems from it.
Yes they do put out a lot of power but most of them also have a built in crowbar circuit to shutdown in case of a short.
If you can find one on Ebay you can get a testing plug that shorts 2 pins together and this allows the ATX to run without needing a load, alternatively a 12V car bulb will do fine>

Depending on the model you can gets -12, -5, +3.3, +5, and +12v from them so they are very handy.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-an-ATX-Power-Supply-Into-a-Regular-DC-Powe/#step1

Read the comments under the first page and you will see the additional colors for non standard (3.3, -12) voltages>
Good Luck
Marc

srnet

Fitted inside a case\box to make them safe from intrusion by fingers\screwdrivers\wires, PC power supplies can be OK as a last resort.

I would not advise using a PC power supply 'naked' on the bench ..........

They key thing about a power supply to be used for PICAXE type circuits is that it should have a current limited output that can be set to a safe limit for PICAXE type circuits, i.e. as low as 50 - 100ma.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

They key thing about a power supply to be used for PICAXE type circuits is that it should have a current limited output that can be set to a safe limit for PICAXE type circuits, i.e. as low as 50 - 100ma.
That is the key point. Any wiring error when using a PC power supply will result in tears.
The irony of the question is that anyone who asks are the very people I would advise against using them.

MFB

Do you rally need to try using an old PC supply? Because , if your anything like me, you will have inadvertently built up a collection of wall-wart mains adaptors that were originally bundled with various consumer products that you don't use anymore. Some have regulated outputs that can drive PICAXE circuitry directly but even the unregulated ones will only need a 3-pin regulator and a couple of capacitors to do the job. That regulator IC can also be chosen to limit current draw to what your PICAXE circuitry wants under normal conditions, thus reducing the possibility of generating smoke.

radiogareth

I use surplus mobile phone chargers (the lightweight switched mode type, identifiable by having 100-240 v ac input and generally 5-5.5 volts out). I fit a high quality PP3 battery snap (wired black to red, red to black) and then heat shrink the joint. On the picaxe board I add a 100uF capacitor and a 1N4001 diode reverse biased across pins 1 & 8. Drives all sorts, never a problem, they have all re-passed PAT tests too. Good enough for 3 watt LEDs too, the best I have seen was rated at 890ma.

Goeytex

All this talk about current limited supplies for Picaxe use (50 to 100 ma ?)

What about 3 AA cells? Many can supply > 2 Amps continuous with a peak current much higher over a short duration. More than enough to blow a Picaxe. Should we discourage the use of AA batteries?

While an adjustable current regulated bench supply is certainly nice (I use one on the bench), not everyone can afford one. Many of us also like to experiment and/or take advantage of stuff we have laying around. So I would not discourage anyone from using an old/spare ATX supply or other such recycled or salvaged supplies. Just be smart about it.

I have and also still occasionally use 2 converted ATX supplies and have only had "tears" once in many many years. And that is because I applied reversed polarity 12v to breadboard that was populated with several ICs. Lesson learned. I added a diode for reverse polarity protection and put a 150ma resettable fuse on the breadboards 5v/3.3v rails.

MFB

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
In choosing a power supply it's not simply about damage to the PICAXE or chips but what secondary damage may be caused.

I think the main difference between a PC PSU and batteries, and what gives rise to cautions with use of the PSU, is the potential damage that can be done which can be far greater. A PC PSU can put out enough current to burn tracks of PCB's and even melt its own supply wires and still not fail under shorted conditions.

It's true that some batteries can deliver high currents and may even explode or catch fire under short conditions but that's not so likely with alkaline batteries which would be recommended over rechargeable and other high capacity batteries.

To protect from reverse connection of power supply one can use blocking diodes, or regulators which have reverse voltage protection. One can use crowbar diodes but those may appear as a short with consequential problems described above. The simplest safety measure is probably to use polarised power connections and to take care otherwise.

Protecting from over-current can be harder. Even with a current limited bench supply it's hard to set a level which allows normal operation and worse case current while preventing damaging over-current in a part of the circuit. If you need 100mA to allow a PICAXE to drive a LED, a 100mA limit won't save a PICAXE delivering 100mA through a leg shorted to 0V when the LED is off.

A fuse has the same problem; that it only blows when current exceeds its rating. That might protect from dead shorts and some faults but not all.

Self-resetting fuses can bring their own problems as well; as anyone who has been following the saga of using those on a certain fruity-flavoured development board will have seen. The design used was apparently intended to provide over-voltage and reverse voltage protection yet seems to provide neither, while the over-current fuses have caused various operational problems.

Ultimately there is no way to entirely protect a circuit unless it lends itself to a particular protection regime and it would be likely that most circuits will not. In the absence of a guaranteed protection regime the best anyone can do is use a supply which has least consequences should things go wrong.

On the safer side we have current limited bench supplies, then alkaline batteries, followed by rechargeables which shouldn't catch fire or explode, then those which can and other high current supplies that could present fire risks and similar.

Obviously the safest solution would generally be recommended as it's about minimising risks. There's no prohibition on using any supply but, for the general case, it would usually be better not to use those with more potential for harm.

GAP

That is the key point. Any wiring error when using a PC power supply will result in tears.
The irony of the question is that anyone who asks are the very people I would advise against using them.
I have an ATX supply in a nice polycarbonate case with 5, 9 variable and 12Volt outputs.
I was just wondering if regulation or filtering was them main reason for not using them.
If current limiting is the main issue then a simple fuse (1A?) on the picaxe input should give a reasonable amount of short circuit protection.
Bearing in mind that I smoked a picaxe with my 3X1.5VAA batteries supply.
As an electronics tech of 25 years experience I have seen my share of magic smoke escapes and charcoal boards.

Buzby

You can use an ATX supply to power a PICAXE, just like you can use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Works most times, but when it goes wrong it goes wrong big time.