Use 8M as a normally open gnd switch?

dchurch

I would like to use the 8M to supply a normally open momentary ground.

I need a one tenth second ground pulse output every 3 seconds, but without having this same output going high.

The brief load when low is less than 5mA.

I understand that a high, nap, low ... loop will control my transistor which in turn will supply my ground pulse, but_

I'd rather not waist the transistor and extra resistors if there's a command solution or better approach.

Is there another option, for example a pin condition set as open by waiting for input, or ..., that I'm overlooking?

The use is for a device that is constantly on but is only activated by momentary ground input (and high to this input would be bad).

Thank you,
dchurch56

Tom2000

Sure. Idle your pin as an input, set it to an output to send your ground pulse, then set it back to an input.

Tom

Michael 2727

Setting a pin as an input makes it high impedance, neither high or low.
On power up I think all the pins are set as inputs, may pay to bouble check though.
Just remember to set the pin as an input after the low period to make sure.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
On an 08 or 08M, pins 1, 2 and 4 ( legs 6, 5 and 3 respectively ) can be used as inputs and as outputs in the manner described.

The only question is, exactly what are you pulling low ? That will dictate whether you need a transistor or it can be done by the PICAXE directly.

dchurch

Thanks,

You guys great. I thought that the input command might work for this but I din't want to spend time barking up the wrong tree. I'll set up a breadboard and run the tests.
I believe my short low pulse will be pulling less than 5mA so the 8M alone should be fine.

Regards,
dchurch56

hax

Ensure that it does not float higher than 5V or higher than your input voltage (whichever is lower). What are you switching?