URGENT! error reading setup initilization file

barryanderson

I have just tried to download the software and install it. It reported "error in initialisation." The file is 9.5MB. I am in NZ using Clear.net. Since this is the same problem, it looks like some cap has been put on by Clear. What to do??

Does it do this with other files of about the same size? I'm sure that we could try uploading the file to another site, like a free hosting site, only give you the link, have you download it, and then delte the file so others can't get it. Only if it is ok with Rev. Ed.

barryanderson

I dont usually try to download files of this size( I use dial up) so dont know. I just tried again, but "download complete" at 8MB this time. Did Useless crack this problem?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Has anyone thought of simply emailing or phoning up clear.net and asking them if they have a download cap or asking what may be wrong ?

tarzan

Try this.

Internet Explorer
Tools

Internet Options
Connections [tab]
Settings

"Clear.net" Settings
Advanced

Advanced Dial-up
Disconnect if idle for "n" minuties 'not ticked
Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed 'not ticked

Edited by - tarzan on 30/06/2006 11:59:34

barryanderson

I tried Tarzans suggestions. The boxes were unchecked already. So I bit the bullet and rang Clear. The guy assured me that Clear have no download caps on Dial-up. He could only suggest a problem at Rev-ed. I told him that was highly unlikely. Any more ideas?

andrewpro

In my experience, The tech support or customer service representatives that you get on the phone are essentially "under orders" to make it anyones fault but thier own. Im not doubting that there is no download cap, but they'll blame rev-ed right off, even though there isn't going ot be any issue with them (I myself have downloaded just fine tow or three times since this mess has begun).

How are you going about the download? Are you jsut starting the download and walking away? As was mentioned earlier (by whom, it escapes me), it's possible that windows itself is causing it. Since microsoft believes that windows knows more about what a user wants than the user does, it often does stupid things like deciding that your not using your internet connections anymore and disconnecting them. Not your actual dial-up connection, but the connections made through IE or however your connected.

It's worth a look.

You could also try using one of those download managers...if it can be used. I dont know.

--Andy P

MPep

Is it possible that your Screen-saver is working here?
I myself have had download proplems BECAUSE the screen-saver started.
Try disabling it, and try again.