URGENT! error reading setup initilization file

useless

I have tried posting this on the setup forum but it has about 1 visitor a week so hopefully you'll be able to help. My software (for downloading programme to chip) had been uninstalled by accident and I had to reinstall it by the download but every time I click the little setup launcher straight after the download it comes up with the error 'error reading setup initilization file' and doesn't begin setup. and also when I download it sais downloading 24 mb and when its finished it sais 'finished 8 mb download'??? what? im using windows xp. do I neep a patch or something else? has any one else had this problem? urgent please help.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It looks like the download failed, and the file ( which should be 20MB+ ) has been truncated and corrupted. Download again, and once you get the full file you shouldn't have any more problems.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Something appears to be terminating the file transfer prematurely without generating an error; I've had that happen before with some non-Rev-Ed downloads. I've just downloaded the latest BAS805.EXE (4.1.15) and that's reported as being 26,031,996 bytes on my PC.

It's hard to say what the problem is, and it could be happening anywhere between your PC and Rev-Ed's server.

The only suggestion I have at present is to keep trying. Delete the truncated and damaged file from disk before each download, and try immediately after a re-boot, maybe temporarily turn off firewalls and anti-virus. You could try downloading using a different browser. You could also try using a different PC and transfering the file over using Networking, a USB-drive or Memory Card.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
[deleted]

Got a lot of 'Page cannot be displayed errors' when posting, hence the multiple posts.

Maybe there is some glitch / maintenance happening at Rev-Ed end. Perhaps leaving it a while and trying later is the best action.

Once you've downloaded the BAS805.EXE, I'd recommend burning it to CD-ROM so you have a backup to do a recovery from. I always keep copies of the BAS805's on hard disk as well.

Edited by - hippy on 5/30/2006 11:50:50 AM

useless

Yeah I guess i'll just have to try later cos I downloaded it again it it still only downloaded 8mb. im so annoyed!! errrr

whizzer

You didn’t mention whether you are using Dial-up or Broadband for your internet connection. If you continue to have difficulties getting a successful download, then re-post here and include information on your connection type.

manuka

Useless - some of this has been asked before of course,since on this forum every little bit of info you can provide GREATLY helps... Where are you? What sort of PC hardware do you have? Enough RAM ? Who is your ISP ? Any caps on file sizes ? Is your HD -duh- nearly full? Do downloads normally come OK ? Have you done a larger one recently? Any local electrical interference? Someone in the house using the phone ?

useless

using intel pentium 4 IBM, new this year, windows xp pro
no prob with HD, no download limits, ive got 2 phone lines, using clear.net should I try disabling firewalls? its just im not really keen on that as we have almost constant hourly trojan horse attacks (good ol' norton internet security lol)and Im in NEW ZEALAND

Edited by - useless on 01/06/2006 10:02:54

Edited by - useless on 01/06/2006 10:04:26

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That you're getting at least some of the download suggests you don't need to disable the firewall.

The best bet would seem to be to try downloading from a friend's house and bring it home on a CD or try one of the other suggestions.

manuka

Splutter- you're in NZ! Where? Why didn't you initially say so? Strongly suspect an ISP issue, especially given recent Xtra broadband woes. Have you contacted Clear ? Have you tried to download larger files from other sites or elsewhere? Tried another ISP via a friend as suggested? Since dial up downloads typically are 10Megs an hour this 8MB limit may well relate to your "hourly attacks on your firewall" too. Does the download lock up at exactly the same file size each time ?

Stan- Wellington based

EXTRA: <b>This forum best helps those that help themselves. </b> Hence provide <b>VERY </b> full details of any Picaxe problems, as often even the simplest blunder may then be revealed early on. We can not read your mind! It's akin to perhaps not initially mentioning your car is diesel powered when asking for help about ignition systems. The PC Help Desk game abounds with dark tales arising from ignorant &quot;My computer's not working&quot; woes that take an age to work through. See the likes of <A href='http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/specials/usersupport/0,39026162,39148143,00.htm ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> !!

Edited by - stan. swan on 01/06/2006 23:09:33

useless

Yeah ok I get the hint but yes the download locks at the same time everytime and the trojan horse attacks aren't literally 'on the hour' we get them every couple of days and they come every 1.5-2 hours then stop. I have never ever had any trouble whatsoever with large downloads, downloads from other countries etc. Is there any other pages anywhere on the web that you can download the same software. or just out of interest is there an sdk for using picaxe with visual studio (2005)??

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
No, I don't think there are any other download sources, although the software is also available on CD ( any latest patches may still have to be downloaded ).

And, no, I'm not aware of any integration of the PICAXE development software into Visual Studio. Although modularised to some extent, the Programming Editor is an integrated development environment which contains some of the essential utilities ( such as download and debugging ) within itself which are not accessible from outside the Programming Editor.

Michael 2727

Why not just order the CD.
Not only will you get the Program Editor
you will also get 200 or more data sheets
over 700 ringtones a truckload of files,
a partridge in a pear tree and you will
have it on hand always.

I am on dialup also, the phone lines here are shocking in winter with electric fence
corruption from local farms I wouldn't even attempt a d/l of this size to begin with.

Edited by - Michael 2727 on 02/06/2006 11:31:48

G

I think trying to download a file of that size might be a bit ambitious with dial up.
I used to get dropouts on anything much over 1/2Hr!
Like Stan said, why don't you post where you're located, you may have someone close to you that can lend you the CD.
For that matter everyone should be able to post thier country and thier town etc in thier profile.

Michael 2727

MicroZed have the CD that's where I got mine.
<A href='http://www.microzed.com.au/P17-PICAXE-PROGRAMMING.htm' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Edited by - Michael 2727 on 03/06/2006 03:51:16

useless

well is anyone in lower hutt? of wellington
nz.

but ive downloaded many files over 26mb. b4 i gt visual studio 2005 i downloaded vs express from this same computer and it was 3gb! My computers having broblems - not with the internet but just in general (starting up, waking up starting programmes and to be honest it really is sh*t computer cos we had an awesome dell then it gt struck by lightning so they gave us this ibm thats 'supposed' to be the same. maybe its having troulbe saving the files or something?

useless

hmm yeah about the download from other computers thing . . . my father might be able to get it for me. i'll see what I can do

manuka

Useless: We're in a global village, but I live just around the harbour from you in Eastbourne! Are you at HVHS?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=1 face=arial>quote:<hr height=1 noshade>My computers having broblems - not with the internet but just in general (starting up, waking up starting programmes and to be honest it really is sh*t computer cos we had an awesome dell then it gt struck by lightning so they gave us this ibm thats 'supposed' to be the same. maybe its having troulbe saving the files or something? <hr height=1 noshade></BLOCKQUOTE></font><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2> Ahem! Sounds like a PC equivalent of &quot;Cherchez la femme&quot; ...

Nothing wrong with your patience, as 3GB over dialup must have taken you a week. Stan

Edited by - stan. swan on 03/06/2006 12:37:59

whizzer

Some further thoughts on your download problem:

Having a download prematurely stopped at the same point each time can often be caused by a dial-up ISP &#8216;pulling the plug&#8217; on the connection &#8211;either for reasons of connection-time, or data transfer volume limits being reached. Have you recently changed your dial-up plan with your ISP, or has your ISP changed the terms &amp; conditions of your plan without your knowledge?

You also mentioned that you are now using a different computer because the previous one was damaged by lightning. Have you considered the possibility that your modem was also damaged at the same time? I have seen many modems affected by lightning, &amp; when damaged, they don&#8217;t all misbehave in the same manner.

BTW: PC&#8217;s are pretty much commodities these days -which is why IBM decided to get out of the business &amp; sell their entire PC division to Lenovo of China. And even before the Lenovo buyout, IBM PC&#8217;s had mostly been built by contracting companies -which is not too different to the Dell business model, as all the parts of Dell computers are made by outside contractors also. In terms of reliability, I wouldn&#8217;t rate one above the other.

But if I were taking a guess, I would think that perhaps it&#8217;s more likely that the general unreliability of your current computer is related to the malware infestations that you briefly described. Maybe a total fresh software re-install may resolve these issues.

Incidentally, there is no 100% guaranteed protection against internet malware nasties at the moment, particularly with the increasing amount of &#8216;rootkit&#8217; type of infections -which the current generation of anti-virus products can&#8217;t even detect! Note that because of the &#8216;always-on&#8217; nature of Broadband, users with this form of connection are generally at greatest risk for malware, but if your computer is online for hours of long downloads via dial-up, then the risk will be similar.

Best defence is to keep your XP service packs &amp; AV definitions up to date, and NEVER turn off your firewall!

Regards

Edited by - whizzer on 03/06/2006 18:08:34

Rickharris

I have had issues with downloading A FULL NEW VERSION WHEN i HAVE PREVIOUSLY DOWNLOADED UPDATES.

Make sure you delete EVERYTHING before trying to reinstall, then you should have no problems.

whizzer

Hi Rick,
Glad to know that after some initial difficulties, you managed to get a successful download of Programming Editor v4.1.15.

But while it works for many people, it <i>is </i> expecting a lot to transfer a 26 MB file halfway across the globe without errors &#8211;particularly when part of that link is via a dial-up connection. And, of course dial-up quality for one person isn&#8217;t necessarily the same for someone else.

And further on this theme, last week this item was reported on a technical news site:
<i>&#8220;A Southern Cross fibre fault outside of San Jose, California is to blame for slow internet speeds across the pacific.&#8221; </i> &#8211;Although this is not the only link used, it did affect many Aussies trying to access the UK (&amp; probably some New Zealanders as well), and I personally know of several people who abandoned their firewall &amp; anti-virus in a vain attempt to get their internet working properly at this time. Heaven only knows what this has done to their computers &#8211;as it is fairly well recognised that a totally unprotected computer only has about 6 to 10 minutes of internet connection time before it starts to be attacked (although evidence of attack is not always obvious to the user straight away).

Rick, your suggestion: &#8220;Make sure you delete EVERYTHING before trying to reinstall&#8230;&#8221; is a good one; but in fact, there&#8217;s not too much to delete, and that suggestion was already made by Hippy on page 1 of this thread. It&#8217;s also quite possible that in your own circumstance, it was just simply a further re-try attempt, (one that finally didn&#8217;t have errors) that made your download successful.

Assuming that our fellow member in NZ has already taken this step by now anyway; while it&#8217;s sad to say, it&#8217;s highly likely that he will need to look elsewhere to find the cause of his problems.

Cheers

Rickharris

Hi Wizz,

The original post and technicals helpfull reply are here <A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=3932&amp;forum_id=21&amp;Topic_Title=Prog+editor+now+not+working&amp;forum_title=No+new+posts+please%21+15&amp;M=False' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>
Where as I am not saying this is certainly the fault Possibly it may be helpful to others.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
There has been prior discussion on download size, and while I accept Rev-Ed's case that a minimal install would still be quite large because of updated .DLL's etc, I still think splitting into 'essential code' and 'datasheets' would not be a bad thing, athough I'm not sure if it would help here as the download drops out at just 8MB.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/Topic.asp?topic_id=3552

useless

Anyway....
I have now tried downloading from another computer WITH broadband internet and it has done exactly the same thing, cut out at around 8mb!!! It must be something wrong at the rev ed end.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It's not necessarily something at Rev-Ed's end; I've again just downloaded the BAS805.EXE with no problems, all 26MB.

I have no idea though what the problem is.

Edited by - hippy on 05/06/2006 13:53:22

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The download is working correctly, our logs show over 100 sucessful downloads over the past 24 hours. The 8MB limit is most likely imposed by your ISP.

We suggest you purchase a CD from your nearest distributor.

whizzer

Just did a re-check;
BAS805.EXE downloaded just fine here in Melbourne Australia
The 26 MB file took 4 min, 57 secs to download using a Broadband ISP connection

useless

But ive tried it from another computer with braodband a totally different isp and it still did the same thing. Could it just be nz who's having problems

whizzer

If your local ISP's have forums, maybe you might find out something more if you have a loook there.

Cheers