Programming Editor Wishlist

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
PE6 will have a powerful new preprocessor that allows for include files and macros and various other tricks.
It also has predefined variables such as _FILE_, _DATE_ and _TIME_ that preprocess to strings that you can then use them in commands with syntax such as sertxd(_FILE_, CR)

Paix

Thanks for that snippet Technical. I will ask Santa if he is able to bring me PE6 for Christmas :)

We love ya all to bits ( and bytes )!

yv1hx

I´m not sure if this suggestion has been requested before: A "Terminal Window" button in the row of buttons at the top of the screen, that way you can quickly turn on or off the terminal built-in the PE without scrolling over the menus.

Useful for those peoples that have only a port available :)

JimPerry

I´m not sure if this suggestion has been requested before: A "Terminal Window" button in the row of buttons at the top of the screen, that way you can quickly turn on or off the terminal built-in the PE without scrolling over the menus.

Useful for those peoples that have only a port available :)

Press Function key F8 to turn it on

Paix

Wouldn't it be good if PE6 was able to run on Linux using WINE?

DesignSpark, the electronic schematic and PCB tool from RS Components apparently does and it obviously allows the use of a PC without Windows, saving around £80 for the pleasure.

What sort of issues would need to be addressed during the writing of the PE6 code to facilitate WINE and what difficulties would that be likely to create for the programmers?

Is there likely to be any any problem with PE5.5 compatibility with Windows 8 when it is released and is PE6 hanging back to address any issues that might arise when Redmond unveil the final cut?

Please share your wisdom on these issues if you can. :)

Jamster

Is there any chance that when "including" files that it could move variable/pin definitions to the main file for assignment and possibly a top section of comments? For instance:

I would type:
Code:
include Arrays
And it would then become:
Code:
include Arrays

'Array Variables
SYMBOL pointer = 
SYMBOL data =               'This is where data goes in/out
SYMBOL outpin = 
'This Array module allows you to import arrays into your program...
Also, would it be possible to undo changes that you made in the last session?

Hopefully not too late :)
Jamster

Kecked

I got to page 7 and gave up so if these are already in here sorry.

Enable the simulation button so you can toggle switches and set a ground state on adc's
Here is an easy one but really helpful. A roll out with pinout for all the pic chips so you can see what pin does what a second one listing the variables and scratchpad memeory locations.

Ability to roll over a command and see an example use tool tip. IE something like type PWMOUT and when you mouse to it it pops up as (pwmout pin, byte) I can't tell you the number of times I've chased down the position of a comma in a command.

Here is a vsm request. Ability to make a mockup front panel with your display and buttons and pots to control your circuit but hide the wires and all and then output a dxf with the holes in place. There isa program called reaktor that does this for making music synths. Also the ability to make up modules you can strap together. For example you made a nice keypad, well save it and next time just call up that circuit as a block. Or say a premade section of 10 slide pots on a panel......

geoff07

Fully support the need for Wine compatibility. That should be easy to achieve as long as you don't use features designed to prevent it, and do a certain amount of testing (which forum members would be delighted to do for you). Here is advice on what to do:

http://wiki.winehq.org/HowTo

As well as this list:

1 - Yes, PE6 will do it
2 - No, because it's a firmware issue
3 - No, because it's a silly idea
there are other categories:
- things I thought I couldn't do but actually I could if I had known how/read the lastest manual
- things others have thought up that are really simple and useful (like having sertxd report the code identity, for example)

Buzby

With the start of a new year we would you like to ask what you would like to see in future editions of the PICAXE Programming Editor software? ..
Not far now to the start of the next new year.

Will we see PE6 before Hogmanay ?

hwholmes

Would love to be able to at least roll the program window while the monitor is still open.
Actually editing would even be better.
When there is an anomaly (bug) evident in the feedback it would be nice to be able to follow through the code to trace it.

My appologies if this has already been mentioned.

chipwich

Would love to be able to at least roll the program window while the monitor is still open.
Actually editing would even be better.
When there is an anomaly (bug) evident in the feedback it would be nice to be able to follow through the code to trace it.
Exactly. You're forced to choose between either reviewing the programming code or the serial output. Quite inconvenient at times.

btw, I think very highly of rev-ed's offerings (editors included), but as long as I'm finally posting in this thread, here are a few of my editor related issues. I should note that I use AxePad under Linux almost exclusively.

1) The keyboard buffer issue, mentioned before in this thread, is *almost* a showstopper. If you type too fast, or use autorepeat from the keyboard (eg, hold the 'del' key down to remove characters), then the buffer gets messed up. Then you need to re-edit what you typed since the editor buffer is now incorrect. I'm not sure if it's related to the keyboard buffer problem, but I've also seen instances where the display does not accurately reflect the editor buffer (eg, the same code line appears in 2 difference rows). At this point, I save/reopen the code being edited to be safe, though I guess this is what the "refresh" menu items is for. Either way, there's not much that's more important to a code editor than buffer integrity, so it's fortunate that this doesn't occur too often; but it'd be better if it didn't occur at all.

2) The lack of parity between Axepad and the Windows editor could be lessened. I can do without the simulator (though that would be really nice!), but the tune wizard is limited to ring-tones without even the basic note editor.

3) Opening the manuals via the help menu doesn't allow you to return to the editor until they are closed. Like the debug window, these windows are "modal", so you can't leave the manual open and return to writing code. This is very inconvenient, so I almost always end up opening up the manual from the OS instead of the editor for this reason.

4) Limited expression parsing in the preprocessor including constants would be nice. So instead of using "symbol SEC_PER_HR=3600" I could use "symbol SEC_PER_HR=60*60".

5) The fixed width for the "Code Explorer" pane should be variable width from the GUI. The column width can be set as an option, but draggable pane width selection from the GUI is pretty common these days. Perhaps it's already available within the toolkit with which the editor was built.

6) Tab is a fixed number of spaces instead of jumping to a fixed column. This makes lining up comments vertically very difficult. Not a serious issue, but definitely against my stylistic preferences.

7) The serial terminal window has fixed size; it would be very helpful to allow this window to be resized to accommodate longer text lines, or the ability to see more rows of text on screen. Right now, it is fixed at 9 rows of text.

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

It may have been mentioned in this l-o-n-g thread already but....

1. Implied logic for desicion statements (actually raised by hwholmes in another thread)
If b0 Then....
If Not pin C.1 Then...
Do While pinC.1....

2. Make True and False into reserved words, where False = 0 and True = 1. Not essential of course, but these two symbols are part of my basic program template.

boriz

I disagree with your first point. It would be a nice feature, but it would add bulk to the interpreter and slow the Picaxe down even more. Not a price worth paying IMHO.

Thumbs up for your second point.

inglewoodpete

I disagree with your first point. It would be a nice feature, but it would add bulk to the interpreter and slow the Picaxe down even more. Not a price worth paying IMHO.

Thumbs up for your second point.
Thanks for the support on point 2.

I don't agree with your concern about point 1. It woud be a change to only the Programming Editor. I'm not suggesting a change to the firmware.

The PE would create the same tokens for "If b0 > 0 Then" as "If b0 Then"
The same for "If pinC.2 = 0 Then" as "If Not pinC.2 Then"

Milos

I would like to access the hi and lo halves of a word variable. Having e.g. "symbol my_word = w5" I would write things like "symbol my_byte = my_word.hi" or "my_word.lo = 37".

Jakob2803

I would like to access the hi and lo halves of a word variable. Having e.g. "symbol my_word = w5" I would write things like "symbol my_byte = my_word.hi" or "my_word.lo = 37".
You can do that by adressing the two byte variables! :)
Edit:
Do it like this:
symbol word_hi = b1
symbol word_lo = b0

I think that will work! :)

Milos

Maybe it is not clear from my post - I wish it for any word variable and not for fixed one. In my example I use w5 and I wish the compliler (not me) would substitute b11 instead of w5.hi. And when I changed symbol my_word to w6 again the compiler and not me would change my_word.hi to b13.

geoff07

Maybe it is too late to suggest more features, but if not here is a simple one that would be quite useful:

The terminal function has limited formatting codes. I use 13 and 10 as CF/LF and I'm not aware of any others, though the manuals and forum are getting so big I may have missed something.

However, I would like a code that can be sent from sertxd just like the '13,10' combination, that clears the terminal window and puts the cursor in the top left corner. This is a common capability of terminals as most probably know, there is even an ANSI set of commands, but I don't think they work with PE.

The reason for this request is simple: when monitoring what is going on in a system under development I create a subroutine called 'dashboard' which I use to display key variables whenever important events occur. Rather like a 'debug' window, but faster and highly bespoke.

It would be a great deal easier to do this if the screen could be cleared and rewitten each time so that the refreshes overlaid each other and the data stayed in one place rather than scrolling.

Pongo

I haven't tried it but I think you could start your dashboard sub with n CR/LF's where "n" is enough to scroll everything off the window.

Dippy

Yes there are ways to improvise, but a simple CLS command would be more usual and require less tinkering!

If not already available, maybe use same controls as Stamp Debug control characters.
It may keep some Stamp-PICAXE convertees happy too :)

If there are any issues then maybe 'Terminal Control' could be an option in PE or a directive in code.

Buzby

Hi Rev-Ed,

It's nearly a year ago that you tempted us with PE6, but no sign yet.

I'm sure the long delay is due to incorporating the features necessary for the super PICAXE II, but in the meantime we are still using M's and X's.

Could we please have another release of PE5 in time for Christmas, maybe with just some new simulator and terminal features ?.

Cheers,

Buzby

Paix

If we can't get a new PE version before Christmas, can we get a cutting list of the changes intended to actually go into PE6 or an interim PE5 release - pretty please?

The problem with getting a new release, just in time for Christmas, is that if it tanks, the boys and girls will be unhappy and the Rev Ed guys and gals will be under pressure when they should be partaking of Christmas cheer. Getting smashed instead of hunting elusive bugs dreamed up by happy hackers on the hard stuff.

I'll settle for a detailed promise and then sit and wait, slavering over the prospect. Be careful what you wish for folks! Upgrades aren't always magically black and white. The grey bits can mean an awful lot of paddling under water for the duck to retain it's composure as it battles the current.

inglewoodpete

Could we please have another release of PE5 in time for Christmas, maybe with just some new simulator and terminal features ?.
Pin your wish-list to your Christmas stocking as per usual. The forum should not be used as a short cut to access Santa :):)

.... and you have to have been good all year. Technical will be checking all of your posts, even the deleted ones. Also, watch out for that elf, 'hippy': he's a known informer:).

With the first anniversary approaching in a couple of days its looks like this thread has been a pretty futile exercise....
Futile? I'll bet it hasn't been! Perhaps some would prefer that new releases come more often but I figure I'm getting a real bargain on a quality package, considering the price I have to pay for the PE. ;)

inglewoodpete

Remember the wait for the X2s? It seemed like years (maybe it was) but it sure was worth the wait.

Oh yes, and I'm pretty sure the beta testers are beta testing the new PE6 beta version(s).

Buzby

All around my hat I will wear the green willow
And all around my hat for a twelve month and a day
And if anyone should ask me the reason why I'm wearing it
It's all for my PE who's far, far away.

Buzby

A method of selectively capturing the 'Serial Output Buffer' to a text file, maybe controllable with #directives.