Programming Editor Wishlist

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
. Or it would also be helpful if somebody else than the programmer has to make some modification to the code (change parameters, constants etc) before downloading it.
Try the error directive:
Code:
#error "You must edit the line above before the program will compile"
Nick - PE6 will save breakpoints/bookmarks as well.

pleiser

Mac support/ improved axepad

A bit of a big order, but it would be nice for PE to work on Mac or have axe pad improved to it's level (I have to use PE on an old (from 2000) windows computer, and have needed to do a complete reset (to factory condition) twice, while only using it for PICAXE programming (thankfully I recently got a USB cable, so use the Mac now but I miss the features of PE.)

Paix

Looking forward to MS Windows 8 and what looks to be a policy of closing up the open development environment with developer licences to write software for the platform, MS's blessingfor software produced to be certified to run and a percentage of the app store price. Free suggests that there will be little percentage in it for MS to get excited about.

What does all this mean and is there a plan B to bring some of the funtionality of the Programming Editor to Linux if the terrain out of the 8 shaped Window start to look bleak?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

If this needs a separate thread, please feel free to move or copy it into a discussion thread of it's own. Ta!

srnet

Looking forward to MS Windows 8 and what looks to be a policy of closing up the open development environment with developer licences to write software for the platform, MS's blessingfor software produced to be certified to run and a percentage of the app store price. Free suggests that there will be little percentage in it for MS to get excited about.
"what looks to be a policy of closing up the open development environment with developer licences to write software for the platform"

???

nick12ab

Looking forward to MS Windows 8 and what looks to be a policy of closing up the open development environment with developer licences to write software for the platform
That only appies to Metro applications and not normal desktop ones so Programming Editor will still run normally and won't require deleloper licenses.

If Microsoft were to require licensing for standard desktop apps as well, that would be suicide.

It is already a crippling wound that they're requiring it for metro apps as it will just give Mac users a genuine reason to gloat about how "great" their platform is (adding to the lies and biased statistics already on pro-Mac sites pretending to be completely informative) and hopefully that reason will prevent Microsoft from doing this.

Try the error directive:
Code:
#error "You must edit the line above before the program will compile"
Nick - PE6 will save breakpoints/bookmarks as well.
Thanks for the hints!
If the bookmarks get saved that would be the closest to what I am looking for. Unfortunately, with a bookmark, only the whole line can be marked (and it's easy to overlook it at all)
But anyway - looking forward to PE6!

Pekari

I don't know if somebody is already wish this but, multiple calculations with symbol command, an example:

Code:
Symbol length=10
Symbol height=20
Symbol depth=25
Symbol volume=length*height*depth

Jakob2803

Option to close the simulation windows when the simulation is stopped, options to toggle which ones show when simulation is started.
PWM outputs should have different icons depending on duty cycle, maybe have the standard one with the square wave, with a percentage written over it.

nick12ab

Option to not show that blasted blank document as well as the desired one when opening a BASIC file in Explorer.

Jamster

Option to close the simulation windows when the simulation is stopped, options to toggle which ones show when simulation is started.
You can already do this.... I think the option is under the Simulation menu (may be wrong - couldn't check).

Jamster

A similar system already exists - clicking in the margin of a line makes a 'breakpoint' (red rectangle) appear in the margin and pressing Ctrl+K makes a 'bookmark' (blue rectangle) appear in the margin. A breakpoint will pause the simulator at that particular line but a bookmark won't. Unfortunately I din't think either are saved so when the file is closed they are lost forever. However you can use the #rem and #endrem directives to comment out sections of code (which makes them green AND ignored by the compiler) and these do get saved.
I've searched several ways on the forums, in the PICAXE Manuals section, the PICAXE Manuals 1, 2, and 3, and various other places. I haven't been able to find a complete Programming Editor Manual/User Guide. Where could one find out about things like "pressing Ctrl+K makes a 'bookmark' (blue rectangle) appear in the margin" besides catching it when someone happens to mention it on the forum?

nick12ab

I've searched several ways on the forums, in the PICAXE Manuals section, the PICAXE Manuals 1, 2, and 3, and various other places. I haven't been able to find a complete Programming Editor Manual/User Guide. Where could one find out about things like "pressing Ctrl+K makes a 'bookmark' (blue rectangle) appear in the margin" besides catching it when someone happens to mention it on the forum?
Just go through all the various submenus in Programming Editor and you'll find interesting things not shown on the toolbars and main menus - including the Toggle Bookmark option which is under Edit > Bookmarks and also a logic gate graphical programming interface (File > New > New Logic... or the AND gate toolbar button only when the toolbar is in small icon mode) and even the ability to program a PICAXE over the network (Options dialog > Serial port tab > Check Show Port help Tools checkbox > COM TCP/IP button).

I agree that Rev-Ed should publish a proper manual for Programming Editor.

Simmicht

not sure if this has been already covered, but when using all 4 slots of a 28X2, it would be nice to be able to , even if via a directive in slot0, be able to program all 4 slots, one after the other. i have to have pauses in the start of slot 0 to allow time to get the next slot ready and programming.
what might be the best and most configurable is a directive say "MULTISLOT that pops up the programming window with 4 check-boxes that you select which slots to program.
of course this means the names the editor has to be able to work out what all 4 files are called, so a standardized naming scheme perhaps... ok it is non trivial.

RadioBob

It would be very useful to be able to define labels a midst EEPROM/DATA statements to give symbolic reference to the start location of the data defined by that command. This would allow references to various data elements stored in EEPROM without explicitly having to count the previously allocated data bytes. Every time a data element changes size, I have to recount/calculate the subsequent data value locations.

Suggested that a label definition such as DataTable: be defined between 0 and 255 depending upon the location it occurred in EEPROM. Then one could use a command such as "read DataTable, b10".

Bob VE3SUY

tarzan

i have to have pauses in the start of slot 0 to allow time to get the next slot ready and programming.
@ Simmicht If you don’t want your program to run during download; first clear hardware memory slot0 then program other slots then lastly program slot0.

For P.E.6 I like to have all slots syntax in one file, this allows me to keep all used variables and symbols together. Easier to keep track of this way. I have to use #ifdef for each slot and download one at a time. It would be nice if I could program all specified slots at one time from the same file.

Added: header.txt

File is incomplete, does show in directives #define.

Attachments

Last edited:

Simmicht

Duh, why didnt I think of that, thanks for the tip.
what would be nice, a one file scenario, with a #common section #slot0 #slot1 etc
probably much like you had in your text file.
I also amused at how much like my own slot/pointer/jumping system you have developed so a slot can be a functional library of code to be reused.
Terry

SAborn

One thought that has come to mind for PE to include would be a Note Pad function where we could make a note of functions to remind ourselves.

I know this can be done in many text files on the PC, but it means opening another file, where a note pad common to any PE file would be good.
Some of the examples in the Manuals are not always that clear and to allow our own notes would help develop better understanding of functions/commands.
It be nice not to have to save the file on exit each time and it be a auto save file that we can just jot down a reminder note at will.

Example...

PWMOUT has a Max duty of 1023 and a Max period of 255.

20x2 has 8meg default speed.

Buzby

An automatic 'check for updates' option.

( The existing 'Help -> Updates -> PICAXE' just goes to the download page. How do we know if there is a newer version than the one we are running ?.

gfh

Sooooo,

As one wonderful feature of the PicAxe is its low cost, it would make a lot of sense to have a lot cost programming environment for it.
So my question is; Does Revolucion Education have any (or has considered) plans to provide the programming software to program the PicAxe on a Raspberry Pi ?
I'm not talking about running the existing Linix software on a Pi, but rather an SD card that boots up in the programming software beginning point.
(This card would include the RPi operating system.)
This would enable non-Linix users to program PicAxes at a very low price for the whole shebang.

Dippy

Surely it doesn't come much cheaper to get a Victorian PC(with a serial port) +Windows? (versus Pi + bits).

Stan, for example, will have ~50 divers PCs kicking around (saving you $$$$).

Jamster

Also, I think if they released compilers for the Pi they would need to be open source/will be easily hackable - Rev Ed are closely guarding their Compilers :)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Does Revolucion Education have any (or has considered) plans to provide the programming software to program the PicAxe on a Raspberry Pi ?
I am sure the issue will have ongoing consideration. As the Pi is still in its development stage, its hardware and software still evolving, it's probably premature to make any decision before it reaches final product stage.

How anything would be implemented would depend on the final version and what tools are available. If it were an x86 architecture the current LinAXEpad would probably run as is but being ARM-based throws some issues into the mix.

Also, I think if they released compilers for the Pi they would need to be open source/will be easily hackable - Rev Ed are closely guarding their Compilers :)
Compilers could be provided just as they are for Linux now. There may be a desire to have us open source them but there's no necessity to do so.

gfh

I don't know haw many PicAxe's are out there in the world compared to how many R-Pi's, but I posit that having a Free R-Pi SD card image available for download - one that would boot directly into the programming editor - would cause a lot more hobby/educattional users to utilize and explore the PicAxe.

Although I have an R-Pi, I do not yet know enough about Linix to use it, and the learning curve seems steep to me.

Therefore I am hopeful one will come about.

Like mi Pi, but LOVE my PicAxe.

Pekari

If-endif area could see an example using line numbers.
Sometimes it's hard to see where are If-endif lines; where if ends.

This is familiar to Java.

bfgstew

Just been adding large amounts of code to my programme and am utilizing the #slot function, but there is no ability to use it/trial it in simulation, any chance of adding for future use please?

Buzby

The part of the Simulator 'Variables' panel which shows the SFRs is too small.
For example, if I need to see 'ptr' and 'DirsB' at the same time, I have to scroll the window. )

A configurable Watch Window is needed.

JimPerry

This thread is getting too big -- I would like a way of checking what the chip I'm attached to is actually programmed with - no not a code dump.

When checking the connected Picaxe could we read a #checkver from top of code so that the version of code is known? :confused:

Last edited:

Buzby

This thread is getting too big
Yep, it is.

We could do with Rev-Ed pruning it, consolidating all the points into a few lists :

1 - Yes, PE6 will do it
2 - No, because it's a firmware issue
3 - No, because it's a silly idea

... I would like a way of checking what the chip I'm attached to is actually programmed with - no not a code dump.
I use a sertxd("MyProgName_v3",cr) at the start of every project, so when the chip powers up it tells Terminal who it is.

If you search this thread you will find I've requested an automagic function to do this.

Cheers,

Buzby

inglewoodpete

I take it a step further. Rather than modify the code, I incorporate a Symbol definition in the revision information of the program header.

Code:
'      Revision = 0 'p0.00  199 bytes 09-Aug-2012 Initial code to test hardware
Symbol Revision = 1 't0.01  912 bytes 10-Aug-2012 Now reads keypad. Added demo code
'
Symbol Version  = 0 'Major software revision number
'
#PICAXE 28X2
#Terminal 9600
'
' other definitions go here
'
'
' ************************************************************
'  Initialisation
' ************************************************************
'  
Init:    Output B.1, B.3
         '
         High B.1                         'Indicate Bootup
         Pause 600
         Low B.1
         SerTxd ("Booted.  Ver =", #Version, ".", #Revision, CR, LF)
         <More code goes here>

Buzby

SerTxd ("Booted. Ver =", #Version, ".", #Revision, CR, LF)
"Booted Ver 4, Revision 3" - of what ?.

By sertxing the actual filename I know which prog I need to open.

It might be "MartysDMD_V1.bas", or "RobotEyes_test_3" etc.

By having a new PE constant, say 'MyFilename', where the value of the constant is set at compile time from the actual filename, a sertxd(MyFilename) would indicate exactly which project it belongs to.

There is still a place for version numbers, and they would be a simple byproduct of the 'auto save on compile' function already requested in this thread.

Cheers,

Buzby

inglewoodpete

"Booted Ver 4, Revision 3" - of what ?.
As you have probably guessed, the code I provided was an example. Since the application does not usually change, insert the project name Eg "Fan Controller" in the SerTxd command. On the other hand, once I plug a PICAXE into it's socket, it usually stays there, so I know what its purpose is!

However, I back your suggestion of having a PE system constant == to the program's file name.

Peter