Programming Editor crashing at launch

moxhamj

The swearing has started up again - is is safe to reply?

The $70AU is for the entire starter kit. But the second and subsequent 8 pin 8bit pic will cost you under $5. I tend to buy tubes of 10 08Ms from microzed for $49.50 and they all disappear into projects within a couple of months.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
FPGA is more flexible and it's the future ...

So in your opinion, what is the future?
Wide and varied, just as it always has been. There's no one universal panacea and I don't expect there ever will be, although the 'latest fad' always is :)

If anyone ever achieves 'easy to use, dirt cheap, powerful, does everything and anything, runs at the speed of light, never gets hot and requires microamps of power' they might be the winner. In the meantime it's the best tool for the job taken from a huge variety of options, or more correctly the best one can find which matches closest to the criteria one has.

FPGA's have their place, no denying that, but you hit on one problem; usually no on-chip ADC. So you're (almost) screwed if you want a single chip with in-built ADC solution. If that's the criteria then a PICAXE-08M beats the FPGA hands down. It may do the required job slowly but at least it can do the job :)

Where I see the future is in high-speed, 32-bit, multi-CPU chips with ADC and huge amounts on in-built Flash and Ram which can operate standalone without support chips or crystals. Not sure when that future will arrive though and I doubt it will be in any form I can solder to stripboard so as long as there's an alternative there will always be a better solution to whatever's considered best.

BrendanP

He's just a bit stressed by a tech problem he's having and venting a bit of the pressure. I can relate to that, its no big deal. I don't think anyone here takes any of it personal. If Pathfinder was in the same room with some of the more experienced people here they'd have him up and running in no time and have a laugh about it all together.

I say good on him, he's having a go which is more than the vast majority of people in the passive, consumerist society that is the west will ever do.

Mycroft2152

Brendan, Others would have Pathfinder duct taped to a chair in the corner. :)

Seriously, buying the hardware is the easiest part., all it takes is a deep pocket. Making it works takes time and effort. Trying to learn and use multiple platforms at the same time is just stupid.

My best advice to Pathfinder is select one micro, understand it and make it jump though hoops.

Have fun!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'm yet to find anyone who hasn't 'gone off the deep end' and 'thrown a wobbler' at sometime in their life.

We all make mistakes, misunderstand, say things we shouldn't, rub people up the wrong way, provoke angry responses, know we're right when we're wrong, argue when we should be agreeing, and cast blame in the wrong direction or entirely undeservedly. Sometimes that explodes into a public arena.

It's how one redeems themselves which is perhaps most important.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Trying to learn and use multiple platforms at the same time is just stupid.
I think you meant "potentially misguided" :)

It's certainly IMO true that it's harder to learn one thing well when trying to learn two or more things ( or maybe that's just a male trait ? ) or to learn all well.

I'm currently flitting between three programming languages and I'm going to scream if I get $, &h or 0x wrong again !

pathfinder007

Ye, I am faced with a mountain of options, I know that I only have time to get into one or two of them.
I just don't want to mindlessly spend too much time on something and it's a dead end, but I think I am wasting a lot of time trying different options anyway.
That isn't necessarily a bad thing I think.
It's really a little bit mind boggling, but that is life.:(

Mycroft2152

Hippy -- Sometimes NOT being politically correct is necessary to get someone's attention. as the old saying goes, 'Someties you need a 2 x 4 upside their head to get their attention!

P -- How you handle "life" is what is important. throwing tantrums or blaming everybody else is not the proper way.

moxhamj

Re "I just don't want to mindlessly spend too much time on something and it's a dead end, but I think I am wasting a lot of time trying different options anyway."

What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve? One or more people here may have already done something similar.

pathfinder007

The problem I had for this thread has been solved already.
My programming editor is working now.
So far I am just trying some simple stuff, like controlling a stepper motor.
I searched around on this forum, there is really a lot of good stuff.
I plan to recreate some of the things people discussed here, and see if they work or not.
I made a micromouse robot, it has 4 outputs to motor driver, 8 inputs from 8 IR sensors. Currently it's just a wall follower, but I plan to add an optical encoder and make the system more close loop.
So I plan to purchase a 28X chip and hook it up to the robot.
In general, I feel like a complete idiot because I look at the topics here and there are a lot of stuff I don't know.

Re "I just don't want to mindlessly spend too much time on something and it's a dead end, but I think I am wasting a lot of time trying different options anyway."

What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve? One or more people here may have already done something similar.

Last edited:

moxhamj

Well if the first job is getting motors driven and IR sensors working then a 28X should be easily able to do the job. The circuits are all in the help manuals. Perhaps stick with components and circuits that are in the manual for the moment as they are 'standard' circuits that are known to work. Once the hardware is working then the clever part is in the coding.

Rickharris

In general, I feel like a complete idiot because I look at the topics here and there are a lot of stuff I don't know.

That's how a lot of us started ! :) The finding out process can be fun and frustrating - Welcome to the ever expanding world of microprocessing.:)

PS as I keep telling my students - there is a world shortage of soft and hardware engineers and as a result they can command huge salaries (so all this could be good and valuable experience).

Paul Scheppe

I just ran accross this problem as well so I suggest that this needs some more research.

My problem is showing up if I use the lower slider bar on my synaptics mouse/touchpad (driver 8.2.4.6 dated 3/8/06) the application encounters an error and closes. It does not happen with the up down slider.

Event viewer is telling me:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 2/6/2008
Time: 1:59:09 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DELL_E1505
Description:
Faulting application progedit.exe, version 5.1.0.6, faulting module srcvw4.dll, version 4.0.1.0, fault address 0x00018a04.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 70 72 6f ure pro
0018: 67 65 64 69 74 2e 65 78 gedit.ex
0020: 65 20 35 2e 31 2e 30 2e e 5.1.0.
0028: 36 20 69 6e 20 73 72 63 6 in src
0030: 76 77 34 2e 64 6c 6c 20 vw4.dll
0038: 34 2e 30 2e 31 2e 30 20 4.0.1.0

Now my software/hardware situation is:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DELL_E1505
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model MM061
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1830 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1830 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A12, 12/18/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2705 (xpsp.050622-1524)"
User Name DELL_E1505\Paul
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 287.85 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Other software I have installed is Microsoft Visual Studio, Visual Basic, Visual Studio.net that might explain the Tetradyne software connection. Hardware is a Dell Inspiron E1505.

The problem I have is this error is completely reproducable therefor is obviously a problem with the editor. I'm pointing this out because you are likely to have other people over time that are going to encounter the problem and may be turned off because of it. :cool: