Programming Editor crashing at launch

demonicpicaxeguy

looks like it might have somthing to do with the registry,
i'd give re installing the editor a go so it can re write all the registry entries

pathfinder007

I tried reinstalling the program many times, I even tried installing it on my old computer with a fresh install of WinXP, but none worked.
In fact I installed the program on all the computers I have at home and the same problems appeared every time. :(

pathfinder007

Yeah I just Emailed them.
There was one other guy in here who had the same problem, but no one replied to his thread.
Can I get a refund if Rev-Ed cannot solve the problem for me?
This starter pack wasn't cheap, about AU$75 delivered, and I feel I've been ripped off.
:(

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Yeah I just Emailed them.
There was one other guy in here who had the same problem, but no one replied to his thread.
Can I get a refund if Rev-Ed cannot solve the problem for me?
This starter pack wasn't cheap, about AU$75 delivered, and I feel I've been ripped off.
:(
Probably not, but you should talk to Rev-Ed or your distributor directly. In your previous post, you did say, "The strange thing is that it actually worked when first got it".

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8460

Thousands have used the Programming Editor without problem but that's not saying you don't have a real issue with you're configuration. Given the amount of time I've lost on fixing Windows issues I'm quite sure that Uncle Bill owes me money.

pathfinder007

But I've installed the software all my computers, one of them was even a fresh install of WinXP.
How do you explain that?
I have a lot of applications for electronics programming and design on my computer, none has had any problem whatsoever.
Fu(k I am not happy!
British is so useless, they fu(ken screwed up their car industry, now they gonna screw up the electronics industry as well?
All British is good at doing is talk about how great they were before.
Hopeless!

lbenson

There are 3 other reports of picaxe problems involving SRCVW32--from Tarzan in 2005, and from others in March and July of this year. None of the threads report successful fixes, but I think I recollect Tarzan from later posts, so he got his fixed. It is very difficult to say what is causing your problem, but it is unlikely to be related to the nationality of the software producer.

We all know that it is a major pain when software doesn't work as we think it should. Without more data, we can't say much except to suggest that you try to uninstall it from your clean XP system, or re-install XP (easy for me to say, I know) with all updates, and then re-download the program editor, double-checking to make sure that you are downloading the latest full version, not an update.

If that doesn't fix it, Google shows other people having trouble with SRCVW32 with other software. The fixes don't jump out at one as evident, but if you search, you may find clues. As hippy says, thousands have used this software without encountering your problem--that's not to say that your problem isn't real, just that it's likely that something quirky is going on.

andrewpro

Wow. That was un-called for.

How about instead of getting angry at everyone else int he world, you actally give some details to your problem?

You said it worked before...well what changed? And you cant say nothing changed because it worked before. Something had to change.

What are you installing from? a CD? have you tried re-downloading the editor from the rev-ed website?

How have you gone about your re-installation process? did you completely remove the software first or did you just run the installer again.

What version of windows are you running? You mentioned one computer having XP, but which flavor. Theres 4 or 5 these days. Service packs? Run times?

How about helping us to help you. You've given no useful information to anything, and you're angry because nobody has an answer for you. Honestly, with an attack like that, In wouldn't be surprised if I'm wasting my time typing this... It may just get locked or "edited for content".

--Andy P

demonicpicaxeguy

as suggested you should contact rev-ed throughtechnical@picaxe.co.uk or your distributor for more advice,
but bear in mind as with every other buisness you may not get a reply very quick as everyone is on the "christmas break" although i imagine rev-ed staff check this forum and provide answers to questions after hours,

other than that there isn't a great deal we can do, i suggest you look at what was installed on the pc in the period of time between when it did work and now have you installed any new hardware / software in that period

British is so useless, they fu(ken screwed up their car industry, now they gonna screw up the electronics industry as well?
All British is good at doing is talk about how great they were before.
Hopeless!
and finally, as a proud Australian with 2 English parents i take offence to this kind of comment towards the British, in the last 100 years the british have engineered some of the best devices/concepts that has ever existed in the car industry and many other industries the Picaxe concept is just 1 more on a long list that the british can be proud of, I suggest you visit a library and get a british history book and learn a thing of two

Merry Christmas,sip sip

Last edited:

pathfinder007

There we go again.
I didn't say British didn't build good stuff, I said they screwed them up, and that is a fact.
All the so called British cars, like the Mini, Jag, Aston Martin, land rover etc are now either made by Americans or the Germans. MG rover is now Chinese.
Why can't you just accept that Britain is no longer the country it once was, for a very good reason. They need a reality check.
Don't tell me to go read a history book. I don't care about what happened, I only care about I spend $70 on this product which is made by a British company and it's doing nothing but gathering dust.
But don't get me wrong, I do think that PICAXE is brilliant, from the first couple of hours I spent with it. This is also the reason for me to be very emotional right now, because I do want to get it going and learn more stuff.
But the chances of that happening seem to be so slim now.
I guess it's just like British cars, brilliant, only if it works!
LOL!

as suggested you should contact rev-ed throughtechnical@picaxe.co.uk or your distributor for more advice,
but bear in mind as with every other buisness you may not get a reply very quick as everyone is on the "christmas break" although i imagine rev-ed staff check this forum and provide answers to questions after hours,

other than that there isn't a great deal we can do, i suggest you look at what was installed on the pc in the period of time between when it did work and now have you installed any new hardware / software in that period

and finally, as a proud Australian with 2 English parents i take offence to this kind of comment towards the British, in the last 100 years the british have engineered some of the best devices/concepts that has ever existed in the car industry and many other industries the Picaxe concept is just 1 more on a long list that the british can be proud of, I suggest you visit a library and get a british history book and learn a thing of two

Merry Christmas,sip sip

Last edited:

BCJKiwi

Well I don't know where you are from but I have spent mega hours recently on a couple of different products developed in the USA. One is in the bin, the other I'm still fighting so I don't think the comments are nationality based nor do I think they are called for.

Interesting to note you have still not responded to the repeated requests for useful info so forum members can assist.

Suggest that when the effects of the sip sip sip have dissipated, the posts are read again and then you might answer the questions asked.

Then I'm sure you will get meaningful assistance.

pathfinder007

Yeah

I've tried both the one on the CD and the one downloaded from the PICAXE website on all my computers without any luck.
One computer is a fresh WinXP 5.1 with SP2, and the other one is fresh WinXP 5.1 install without any Service Packs.
The procedure I went through was:
1. Uninstall (from the control panel, that removed the entire folder)
2. Restart
3. reinstall
4. Launch
5. Crash

That is all.

I have another idea, I want to try earlier versions.
Can some one link me to a website where I can download some previous versions of programming editor software??
Thank you!

BCJKiwi

Well you still have not answered the questions asked of you:-

"Everything was working great, but today when I fired up the programming editor again to have some more fun, the program wouldn't start and an error message appeared. I tried reinstalling the program many times, but the problem wouldn't go away."

So what changed????

OK have tried to replicate your problem.

Firstly, when the editor is uninstalled using control panel/add remove programs, the entire C:\Program Files\programming editor folder is NOT removed - there are a number of folders with support files remaining.

Have also found in the past that if you have made multiple instals, there may be multiple entries in contol panel - these all need to be removed.

I would sugges that you go again to the website here
http://Programming Editor v5.1.6 (full version, approx. 38MB)
to ensure you have the latest and the full version - not the upgrade to an earlier version.

Ensure the program is fully removed, including the folder.

If the problem persists then you will need to check with Rev-Ed directly.

pathfinder007

I just tried it again.
This time I uninstalled the software, then I used Ccleaner to clean the registry entries, then I restarted the computer.
It still didn't work, the same error message appeared.
And I tried it on my other two computers with fresh install of WinXP, and guessed it .......

The only program I installed during the last couple of days is the Arduino IDE, but I don't think it matters, because I installed Arduino on a different USB port, besides this is not the only computer I tried on.

I've searched the forum quite a bit, all the thread related to this issue had no replies at all. Obviously you people are trying to ignore or cover up a really fatal software issue with the Programming Editor.

I want to know if and how I can manually wire up the PICAXE-8M chip to a serial or parallel port for programming using other IDE.
What software I need and some schematics would be nice too.
Thank you!:(

Well you still have not answered the questions asked of you:-

"Everything was working great, but today when I fired up the programming editor again to have some more fun, the program wouldn't start and an error message appeared. I tried reinstalling the program many times, but the problem wouldn't go away."

So what changed????

OK have tried to replicate your problem.

Firstly, when the editor is uninstalled using control panel/add remove programs, the entire C:\Program Files\programming editor folder is NOT removed - there are a number of folders with support files remaining.

Have also found in the past that if you have made multiple instals, there may be multiple entries in contol panel - these all need to be removed.

I would sugges that you go again to the website here
http://Programming Editor v5.1.6 (full version, approx. 38MB)
to ensure you have the latest and the full version - not the upgrade to an earlier version.

Ensure the program is fully removed, including the folder.

If the problem persists then you will need to check with Rev-Ed directly.

demonicpicaxeguy

i wouldn't be too worried about coverups too much this is one of those problems we haven't seen much of

1, what spyware,antivirus scanning software are you using (if any)
2, when you re-installed windows xp was it from a genuine xp cd or was it from a "backup" cd that someone has burnt?
3, if you have used a genuine xp cd then was the pc connected to the internet at the time

i'm thinking along the lines that you may have some kind of virus

also i hate to break it to you but there isn't another editor that can be used with the picaxe
as for schematics the two resistor connection described in the picaxe manual is the one to use

Last edited:

pathfinder007

I use AVG and Zonealarm.
I've tried disabling them but it didn't help.
I have genuine WinXP on my own computer, and the other two PCs on which I 've tested the software are both copies of WinXP.
Yes my PC was connected to the internet.
I turned the Windows Update off, because I don't trust Microsoft to touch my system, but it has never given me problem before.

I noticed in the Programming Editor, there is a serial PIC programmer. I want to use that!! But I need some instructions.
PLEASE!!:(

i wouldn't be too worried about coverups too much this is one of those problems we haven't seen much of

1, what spyware,antivirus scanning software are you using (if any)
2, when you re-installed windows xp was it from a genuine xp cd or was it from a "backup" cd that someone has burnt?
3, if you have used a genuine xp cd then was the pc connected to the internet at the time

i'm thinking along the lines that you may have some kind of virus

demonicpicaxeguy

the serial pic programmer allows you to program raw pics (ones that don't have the picaxe bootloader) with code in a hex file
for more info on that subject i suggest you google "pic programming" there are hundreds of tutorials that have plenty of info on the topic

BrendanP

Pathfinder, when you get the compiler up and going, and you will, you might look at buying your piocaxe stuff through world education services in the US. Even with postage they're a lot cheaper than any suppliers in Australia.

Hang in there, it is a good product and youll have a lot of fun with it.

moxhamj

Re "Fu(k I am not happy!
British is so useless, they fu(ken screwed up their car industry, now they gonna screw up the electronics industry as well?"

The good Dr_Acula suggests this is best managed with some time in the pink padded room to calm down. 24 hours have gone by since this momentary lapse of reason, so now it is time to discuss the solutions.

Right, we have error SRCVW32 lex routine coming up as the error message. SRCVW32.DLL is a DLL that sometimes is found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. On my computer it has been superceded by the newer SRCVW4.DLL which is part of the Active X control viewer.

A search on Google for SRCVW32.DLL finds all sorts of diverse programs creating similar errors. As such, it almost certainly has nothing to do directly with the picaxe programmer. The picaxe programmer may well be calling this DLL but probably does not have access to the internal code of the DLL. There are many examples in programming where one calls out to external DLLs (eg parallel and serial port code in VB) and one just has to trust that the DLL will do the job. I suspect the Tetradyne Sourceview Control DLL was not written by the British, given that Tetradyne is a Californian company.

The solution to this will be similar to solutions found by others on various non picaxe discussion forums. One thread discusses searching for SRCVW32.DLL and removing it (or more safely, renaming it to DLx) Another talks about installing SRCVW4.DLL and registering this but the exact way to do this goes off into a private discussion.

One quite likely possibility is that your version of XP has an old version of ActiveX and because ActiveX is installed by so many programs (eg games) programmers assume that a more up to date version will exist on your machine. Or more to the point, they just test the code and it works and they don't make the connection about why it works nor try installing it on clean installs of older operating systems (XP came out in 02 I think).

I don't have the full answers as I don't have your copy of XP but I suspect one place to start would be to visit Tetradyne's website and see if you can find a copy of the latest ActiveX drivers. Failing that, try getting them from elsewhere. Or a different XP version. Or even ask someone nicely on this forum for a copy of their SRCVW4.DLL file.

BrendanP

Dr. Acula, the calm voice of reason.

Ahhh, Dr. Acula, the calm voice of reason. Your soothing bedside manner can transcend and tame even the net. "Tetradyne Sourceview Control DLL" my eyes glazed over after reading that part.
("Tetradyne" did they make the Terminator? or was it it "Cyberdyne"?)

" Fu(k I am not happy! " would look good on a T shirt.

@lowa

I have just made a search on my computer for SRCVW4.DLL and SRCVW32.DLL and i can't find none, still my programming editor is working fine.
I suggest that you just rename it and try again

BCJKiwi

I have a REsrcvw3.dll of 2005 vintage, and a Srcvw4.dll of 2006 vintage on my system - both in C:\Windows\system32. I presume the srcvw3.dll was REnamed when Srcvw4.dll was installed - not all updates are bad you know!

Remember if you want to see system files then you will need to enable the viewing of them - off by default in windows XP - even for an administrator.
Open My Documents or Windows explorer Tools/Folder options/view and click on the radio button beside "show hidden files and folders" then click Apply, and if you want to keep it this way, then you also need to click on "Apply to all folders".

To register a .dll (if required - many are self registering);
Go to the Run item on the Start menu, and type: regsvr32 <path & filename of dll or ocx>
Then press enter. There will be a resulting dialog - sometimes it takes a few seconds for this process to complete.

e.g. regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\Srcvw4.dll [Enter]

I suspect that the original PC was up to date and the installation of the Arduino IDE has in some way modified it. Since all the other PCs have been quarantined and not patched/updated, it may be they simply don't have the required versions of the .dll - all supposition of course, only Pathfinder would be able to confirm this.

This post on this forum from April seems to provide constructive advice on how to resolve this issue.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6592

Last edited:

pathfinder007

Excellent!
So the British technology is ok for you now?!

Cheers,

Grant
Yeah I liked it a lot when I first used it.
Everything is built in and easy to use.
The price is definitely not cheap. I got the 8M experimenter pack, and it was AUS$70. It has no on board voltage regulator or external oscillator.
You can a lot better with a Melbourne based company JEDMicro, they sell a range of pretty good stuff.

demonicpicaxeguy

Yeah I liked it a lot when I first used it.
Everything is built in and easy to use.
The price is definitely not cheap. I got the 8M experimenter pack, and it was AUS$70. It has no on board voltage regulator or external oscillator.
You can a lot better with a Melbourne based company JEDMicro, they sell a range of pretty good stuff.
i've seen some of their stuff , not bad if you've got wads of cash lying around and don't mind paying a bit much

things like regulators and external oscillators are really only needed depending on application, on a price scale the picaxe per individual chip is generally the cheapest on the market and in some cases cheaper than getting the equilivant raw pic

inglewoodpete

Pathfinder, I'm glad you got the PE working. Personally, my reason for using the PICAXE system is its simplicity. I started with the 08M starter kit too. You only need the kit once: the download cable and CD/software can be used on any other PICAXE.

Simplicity: If it is structured well, software written for an 08M will need very little changed to run on a 40X1.

It has no on board voltage regulator or external oscillator.
I imagine your kit had a battery box: you don't need a power wasting regulator. An external oscillator will only make things more complicated. Anyway, how would you interface an external oscillator with an 8-pin PICAXE?

Mycroft2152

Pathfinder, I hope you add a comment to the many other forums where you trashed the PICAXE about the amount of help you were given from the PICAXE forum folks all over the world in solviong your problem.

BrendanP

Perhaps a breadboard would be a better option for Pathfinder if he wants to experiment with different size picaxes. It offers value for money and flexibility. A 40X1 on a largish bread board and some hook up wire and you can do a lot of experimentation and design testing.

Last edited:

pathfinder007

FPGA is more flexible and it's the future.
You can load a soft core processor and use it like any other microcontroller, or you just build some custom logic yourself, like a binary counter to start with.
I am reviving a micromouse robot I built before. It's like a platform, everything is there, the sensors, the motor driver and etc. It just needs a brain.
I wanted to use a NIOS II microprocessor on cyclone II with an on-board ADC kind of setup, but I haven't found this sort of micro-board yet. So now I've tried the Arduino and PICAXE and fell in love with both. However I am still looking for the FPGA micro-board I had in mind.
I think there are too many options, so why not spend more time on the one that will be more popular in the future.

what exactly are you going to use one for

pathfinder007

Well not much, I am a uni student studying electrical and computer system engineering degree.
I am also working in a factory that makes electronics, and from what I have seen they are used a lot these days, and I have some friends who works in the industry who also expressed that FPGA and HDL is currently very popular, and don't see anything replacing it soon.
So in your opinion, what is the future?

as far as fpga's being the future, cough... chuckle... choke... slurp...

how much electronic experience have you got?

demonicpicaxeguy

Well not much, I am a uni student studying electrical and computer system engineering degree.
I am also working in a factory that makes electronics, and from what I have seen they are used a lot these days, and I have some friends who works in the industry who also expressed that FPGA and HDL is currently very popular, and don't see anything replacing it soon.
So in your opinion, what is the future?
if only i could have a dollar for every time somone said that

in my opinion fpga's are not going to dominate the electronics industry they aren't going to go away either but niether is any other of the 8 and 16 bit microchips ,

they have their place just like all the other devices, depending on how quickly they become cheaper quicker more efficient and less power hungry will determine what devices they end up inside of

i say the future is there for anyone who is smart to take it

but thats my opinion,

pathfinder007

I guess it all depends on what is the processor used for.
There are certain (in fact a lot) applications where the AVR or PIC 8bit processors are not capable of, but there are areas where a FPGA is just overkill
I read somewhere that AVR or PIC, I can't remember which is bringing out new 32 bit microcontroller.
FPGA is pretty expensive, if the new 32 bit microcontroller is sufficiently low priced then I think it could still be very popular in the future.

if only i could have a dollar for every time somone said that

in my opinion fpga's are not going to dominate the electronics industry they aren't going to go away either but niether is any other of the 8 and 16 bit microchips ,

they have their place just like all the other devices, depending on how quickly they become cheaper quicker more efficient and less power hungry will determine what devices they end up inside of

i say the future is there for anyone who is smart to take it

but thats my opinion,