OT: Calling ALL Old Farts?

I might be a Her...what's in a name?

I'm hoping I'm 4.5 years from self-selected early retirement...
...but I might be an Olympic athlete retiring at 30
...or a policeman retiring at 30 years after I joined up
...or an Army soldier retiring at 50
...or a judge retiring at 70

In other words, ain't telling...
Dorset, Devon or maybe Cornwall?

I will be 0x3A years old in a couple of months.

This tends to baffle my co-workers, but the Picaxe community will figure my age in a few nanoseconds.

My first electronic circuit that actually worked used tubes -valves for you across the pond. A small audio amplifier.

I still remember the tubes: a dual triode 12AX7, a single triode 6C4, and a pair of of power beam tetrodes 50C5. And it used a selenium rectifier.
There are 10 different types of people who understand Binary, those who do and those who don't!!
regards
Andy

I work with a number of Old Fart EEs. More degrees than a mercury thermometer.
A wealth of experience and a wealth of old jokes, clichés, "the best engineer is a..." and "when I was at my previous place we invented...".
I get a cramp pretending I'm impressed ;)

Yes, that Malaysian Airlines is a strange disaster.
Oddly, I haven't heard any mentions of conspiracy or Bermuda Triangles yet.
They now know for certain that it flew for a further 4 hours after the last radio contact as the engines are from Rolls Royce (British Engineering) and they "phone home" like ET did, but every 30 minutes....so that plane flew maybe 2000 odd miles more than was thought!!!
Difficult......
Regards
Andy

inglewoodpete

They now know for certain that it flew for a further 4 hours after the last radio contact as the engines are from Rolls Royce (British Engineering) and they "phone home" like ET did, but every 30 minutes....so that plane flew maybe 2000 odd miles more than was thought!!!
Difficult......
Regards
Andy
..if you believe all media reports. AFAIK, Rolls Royce have not confirmed this. There are so many "statements of fact", later denied or discounted, that I've heard about on this sad event that it just reinforces the probability the no-one now alive in the world knows what happened.

marzan

Hello all. I`m 53. Seems like the average is dropping slightly haha.. I had one of those 150 in one kits as a kid and did Applied Electricity at school. Then became a bookbinder so left it all behind until home computers came on the scene. Like most people, i`m dong several projects all at once. Love anything to do with computers or electronics. Have a couple of CNC mills I have built and a CNC lathe, and a 3d printer about 80% built. Got into PICAXE because of its similarity to the old BASIC that ran on commodore 64`s. That had burnt itself into my brain, so it was a fairly easy switch.
Also teach dog agility/flyball so never enough hours in the day.
Marz

Bernie_of_CPE

Just turned 54 here, first exposure to the black art of electronics was about three months ago. I wanted to add some functionality to a model I have made saw James Bruton youtube video driving servos to open a helmet faceplate. I understand futaba servos and curiosity got the better of me. Just like everyone else it seems I have a growing box of highly organised boards and parts. I have also amassed a large tome of technical sheets and manuals to try to span the gap between needed useful knowledge and a lack of understanding, it doubles in size every week on average, by sheer coincidence so does the parts box.....
Bernie

bfgstew

Just like everyone else it seems I have a growing box of highly organised boards and parts
Now that's where you are going wrong, it all needs dumping in one box, given a good shake and hey presto, you are now an electronics expert............................:p

Difficult......
Regards
Andy
Now its thought that it flew almost 8 hours after turning towards the southern Indian Ocean....