Mount Serial OLED display vertical

I found a 24 AWG ribbon cable with 14 conductors and a 2.54mm pitch (conductor spacing) and I would like connectors to attach it to 14 pin 2.54mm pitch single row headers at either end.
I am having trouble finding what I need so if anyone could help me find these connectors that would be great.

Jeremy Harris

But why 'intended' ?

All you achieve by using abbreviated English (text speak ?) is to make posts difficult to read by the same people you are asking for (free) advice.
Not only that, but some people (like me, for example) will point blank refuse to read posts that are written in hieroglyphics. I'll happily respond to posts written in English, or even French at a pinch, but not those written in some undecipherable and misspelt form of pidgin.

If you cant read thats fine but dont start spamming my thread about it please.

Russbow, thats interesting I have seen one of those but it appears to have pins on it that cant be for fitting to a ribbon cable unless its stackable in which case I would have pins sticking out?

russbow

No, as you say, they are not IDC pins for a ribbon cable but solder pins.
You can get the header shrouds from the same firm. What I then do is get the DuPont cables mentioned earlier, carefully lift the retaining flap with a craft knife and pull off the single shrouds. Then push the connector into the new shrouds. Works fine but may exceed your clearance space.

Last edited:

westaust55

I found a 24 AWG ribbon cable with 14 conductors and a 2.54mm pitch (conductor spacing) and I would like connectors to attach it to 14 pin 2.54mm pitch single row headers at either end.
I am having trouble finding what I need so if anyone could help me find these connectors that would be great.
Did you look at the link I gave back at post 25.

Nearly 50 posts later and this matter is not resolved due to changing and unclear requirements.
I reiterate the request to provide a complete clear plain English description with a sketch of exactly what you are seeking rather than your drip feeding those trying to help with small added snippets if information with poorly constructed text.
How did you built the Amplif ier this is associated with if your are having so much trouble finding basic components as ribbon cable and headers?

Last edited:

westaust55

It has been reported by the OP.
Seemingly not happy with the feedback he is getting.
But clarity of information is far from good with a changing scope and drip fed information.

Last edited:

nick12ab

But why 'intended' ?

All you achieve by using abbreviated English (text speak ?) is to make posts difficult to read by the same people you are asking for (free) advice.
He also achieved a great load of attention. Not positive attention, but still attention.

It has been reported by the OP.
Seemingly not happy with the feedback he is getting.
This reminds me of Kailesh's thread, hi object sensor circuit. It did not end up getting Kailesh any closer to a solution, but it did get attention.

If you cant read thats fine but dont start spamming my thread about it please.
There's no need to have such a negative attitude.

(as already said) Can you now clearly state what is required by including a drawing of what you want plus stating whether there is a need for the display to be detachable or not and if it does why. Also show in the drawing where the display will be and how far away from the main PCB it will be.

MikeAusP

If you cant read thats fine but dont start spamming my thread about it please. . . .
People spend time reading and writing on this forum, because they're interested in a certain topic.

People will write whatever they feel is needed to keep comments here supporting the topic.

You started this thread - but it's not just FOR you.

Using strange spelling, totally out of context, is not going to work.

SAborn

@Nick, naughty children get attention too, and a squeaky wheel gets oiled as well. :(

Perhaps the OP might consider using a IDE cable from an old computer, the ribbon cable that connects a CD rom or HHD to the motherboard, they are a double row 40 pin connector, but with a little work with a craft knife and its easy to make a 14 pin connector from the cable.

If the display needs to be detachable than the best option is a serial display or a I2C display, that way its a simple 3 or 4 wire connector, which is so easy to setup the header pins and make a cable for.

I have never used a serial display, but used many I2C displays, and for a add on display i would use I2C, one reason is for all circuit designs i reserve the I2C pins of a picaxe for I2C, should there be spare pins permitted in a circuit design.
This way i can add 100's of different I2C devices should i need, perhaps a keypad, or a LCD, even a RTC or extra eeprom, or all of them on the same circuit its then just plug and play, all thats needed is to write the device into program.

Then again this is only my view from what i can extract from the circuit/view expressed so far, as its a hard thread to follow with pigion english and changing requirements to your needs.
Perhaps start again and explain just what you want to do, even a photo or two of your project might help.

westaust55

I want it to look professional and be detachable.
Seems that what you need is a single row insulation displacement type connector at each end of a ribbon cable.
something like this: http://www.samtec.com/technical-specifications/default.aspx?SeriesMaster=IDSS
They need to have a 0.1 inch (2.54 mm) pitch.

Many IDC connectors are double row but there are some such as above link that are double row and would look more professional than soldering wired to the back end of headers.
Now that you know the name of the connector type, I leave it to you find a suitable source near where you live or from where you shop.

John West

I read this thread but made no previous comments, for a reason. I found the OP's posts to be exceedingly difficult to understand, (which I'm willing to deal with.) But they are also rude and demanding, which I am not willing to deal with. About all I require of someone I would help out (for free or for pay) is tolerably good manners.

Jeremy Harris

I read this thread but made no previous comments, for a reason. I found the OP's posts to be exceedingly difficult to understand, (which I'm willing to deal with.) But they are also rude and demanding, which I am not willing to deal with. About all I require of someone I would help out (for free or for pay) is tolerably good manners.
I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately some folk seem to believe that members of discussion forums are obliged to give them all the information they need, even if they don't express that need clearly. On another forum I frequent, we get a lot of students asking forum members to do their homework or college/university assignments for them. If reminded gently that they are supposed to do some work for themselves, as part of their education, many get quite nasty. It seems there are more and more people around who feel they have a right to get others to do things for them free of charge and without them needing to do more than post a requirement on a forum.

I would say; I'm sorry but I cant think of everything at once to put it all in a single post surely you know what thats like? Also I am sorry if I seem offensive to you but being autistic I wouldnt know.
But all that would do is bring up more excuses to complain and offend me.

Thank you westaust55 IDC is what I want now I know what to search for.

Last edited:

bfgstew

I think it's time to draw a line and start afresh, the OP has issues and I understand how it feels as my niece suffers and it isn't a nice place to be.

CommanderLake, please read the posts carefully, and try and understand these guys wish to help. A simple sketch or photo of what you require will help others to help you. Do it in stages, bit by bit, and now the forum understands your issues, they will be more tolerant and understanding.

Good luck with your project.

Stewart

Goeytex

Make sure you get 24 or 26 ga 2.54 pitch cable. 22 ga will get damaged/cut and anything smaller than 26 ga will not make a good connection. You might could use that cheap rainbow cable from EBAY and peel off 14 conductors, then separate the ends to mate into the connector before using the press tool.

Oh, you will also need a tool to press the pieces together.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
How hard could it possibly be to press that connector onto the cable, surely I could improvise with pliers or a vice?
Not sure what "that connector" is but IDC cables can be done in a vice with a bit of practice. Crimp connectors can be a lot trickier without the proper crimping tool.

I've lost track of where we are up to but header sockets and right-angle header pins would have seemed the easiest to me, which I recall nick12ab mentioned back in post #2.

srnet

Well, we know its an IDC connector for RIBBON cable, and you need a TOOL for it.

Although its not clear from the picture you linked to if the connector will use the standard dies that are used for normal 0.05" pitch ribbon cable and usual 2 row connectors.

Maybe Farnell, who sell the connectors, would know ?

srnet

I would add that before I knew better, and I was assembling cables like this as part of my work, I did use a vice to assemble them.

But this was a quality small metalworking vice (definitely not cheap) and not your average sloppy bench vice.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I would add that before I knew better, and I was assembling cables like this as part of my work, I did use a vice to assemble them.

But this was a quality small metalworking vice (definitely not cheap) and not your average sloppy bench vice.
That's what I used :)

You need to make sure the jaws are parallel with each other and you may have to use shims to apply pressure evenly at the right places to stop any sticky-out bits taking undue pressure and snapping. Make sure the cable is not tilted/twisted into the IDC.

Proper IDC presses are easier to use because you aren't working in the wrong plane, where everything falls out the bottom of the vice and it's hard to hold everything where it should be!

http://katalog.we-online.de/en/em/600_61x_282_80x

Well I'm considering the Dupont cable now but its too long and would stick out a lot unless I make or modify one which would probably be as fiddly as crunching the IDC connector together in a vice.
I dont think I'd be buying an IDC press for just 2 connectors they are very expensive.