locks up laptop

davidwf

I have the latest editor program and the laptop (win 10 pro 64bit) is fully up to date
Opening editor takes ages to load on the laptop and when saving a file also takes an age, usually with a “this program is not responding” message appearing…. If left it will eventually complete
No such problems on the PC.
ideas????

Technoman

Hi,
Recently, I met someone having a very very slow laptop. Since the beginning, he never made a reboot, only using the sleep mode. Of course, he was unaware to do some cleanup using a software like CCleaner or equivalent.

davidwf

Thanks...my laptop is not a low spec machine - 64 bit i7 + SSD - and is fully clean and streamlined.... the fact that this problem is intermittent is all the more confusing

wapo54001

Thanks...my laptop is not a low spec machine - 64 bit i7 + SSD - and is fully clean and streamlined.... the fact that this problem is intermittent is all the more confusing
Always been this way since install or recent change of behavior?
Marginal SSD location(s) or damaged install? Maybe delete and reinstall?
Machine awaiting installation of updates can cause specific programs to appear problematic depending on which Windows components are waiting for update.

davidwf

Difficult to be sure as I dont use it on the laptop very often
SSD is fine - loads of tests run and it is OK
Have un-installed / re-installed several times
Agree with the windows update possibility.... that does many weird and <not so> wonderful things......but this happened after update completed and re-booted
at the moment it is all working as it should be....

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
at the moment it is all working as it should be....
It could be that the laptop had connected to a network resource for copying files or 'just because' and it can keep checking if that resource is still available, get delayed when it isn't. Things usually speed-up once other activities have pushed that out of its 'most recently used' records so hopefully that's the case here.

davidwf

thats a possibility I guess but that wouldnt surely be the case after it had all settled down....