29% of posts by the top 4

*Total posts is the sum of the posts in the Main PICAXE forum

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
29% of posts by the top 4

So 71% were from outside the top 4 :)

Given there were some 63 new threads posted in that period, that works out at an average of 8 replies per thread, 2 from the top four posters, 5 from others ( rounded down ).

That doesn't sound bad to me though any analysis is hard because people tend to 'adopt a question and see it through to the bitter end' so replies may get clumped in particular threads, and the averaging isn't a true reflection of what does happen either.

I'd expected the number of regular posters to be higher in proportion given the 'passing trade' nature of many visitors who turn up with a problem, hopefully find a solution and are then perhaps never seen again. Perhaps extending the number of top posts would reveal that more ?

Stats have never been my strong point but it looks to me that the forum is as active as it has ever been with quite a large community involved even though there always will be some more active than others. I think that's the way it goes in most other forums I visit.

BeanieBots

Absolutely Hippy.
It is also fairly predictable who will respond to which topics.
For example, if it involves more than a dozen lines of code, you won't see me for dust. If its smps, batteries or servos, I'll dig right in.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That's one of the advantages of having the regulars we do have here - they have a huge amount of experience in particular areas as well as generally and can cover a wide bearth of topics to quite a depth - and if one person cannot answer a question then someone usually steps up who can.

It's also quite an unusual forum with visitors covering a massive range of ages and previous experience. I guess most regular posters are to the more mature end of the spectrum simply because they have the experience and enjoy mentoring in the fields they are involved with. I doubt many would still be here regularly if the forum were boring or not stimulating for them as well so that must say something.

The growing 'global nature' of the PICAXE is also good as more people do get involved with answering questions because there's a good opportunity for people to be the first to get in with an answer so, not only does it spread the workload around, it brings a lot more variety.

Mycroft2152

That's one of the advantages of having the regulars we do have here - they have a huge amount of experience in particular areas as well as generally and can cover a wide bearth of topics to quite a depth - and if one person cannot answer a question then someone usually steps up who can.

It's also quite an unusual forum with visitors covering a massive range of ages and previous experience. I guess most regular posters are to the more mature end of the spectrum simply because they have the experience and enjoy mentoring in the fields they are involved with. I doubt many would still be here regularly if the forum were boring or not stimulating for them as well so that must say something.

The growing 'global nature' of the PICAXE is also good as more people do get involved with answering questions because there's a good opportunity for people to be the first to get in with an answer so, not only does it spread the workload around, it brings a lot more variety.
Postings by "Regulars", aka the Brain Trust, is a two edged sword. Yes, the is a wealth of experience, BUT it also inhibits new members from posting.

Kind of difficult to get a work in edgewise.

Statitics, especially averages, are amazing, you can make them support any position you choose.

Myc

BeanieBots

Outrageous isn't it.
He's only made 23 posts since 30 Sep.
Hippy has made 284 and I've made 324.

If we go back to the period 20 Aug to 30 Sep
Hippy=184, Dippy=289 and myself=279
But who's counting anyway?

You might like to know that our membership rose by 250 between 15 Aug and 30 Sep with 35 of those being active contributers.
Unfortunately, the active members have dropped recently from 593 (30 Sep)to 577 at todays count but the posts/month has nearly doubled. new threads remains reasonably constant at around 250/month.
There are seasonal swings but I won't into too much depth (yet!).

Hey, this thread is titled "Forum Statistics".

PS
I only made 7 post between 25 June & 15 Aug.

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

Outrageous isn't it.
He's only made 23 posts since 30 Sep.
Hippy has made 284 and I've made 324.

If we go back to the period 20 Aug to 30 Sep
Hippy=184, Dippy=289 and myself=279
But who's counting anyway?

You might like to know that our membership rose by 250 between 15 Aug and 30 Sep with 35 of those being active contributers.
Unfortunately, the active members have dropped recently from 593 (30 Sep)to 577 at todays count but the posts/month has nearly doubled. new threads remains reasonably constant at around 250/month.
There are seasonal swings but I won't into too much depth (yet!).

Hey, this thread is titled "Forum Statistics".

PS
I only made 7 post between 25 June & 15 Aug.
BB,

But, how many of those new threads were:

My PICAXE won't work?

I cannot connect via USB!

Can I use a 9 volt battery with PICAXE?

Most responses can be summarized as "It is in the manual', or try it first.

This is a prime reason for creating a "Tips and Tricks" forum section

And of course there is always the Norbert phenomenon.

Myc

BeanieBots

Even a "My PICAXE won't work" from a new member means a new person is trying out PICAXE and hopefully, with a quick turn-around response will get things working before they lose interest.
We even get bumps after less than 24hrs because people have got used to "instant" replies.

gbrusseau

One thing Hippy and BeanieBots are very good at is coaxing the person who posts a thread into solving the problem themselves as apposed to providing all the answers. This approach results in a lot of back and forth posting till the question is resolved. I wish I was as selfless as that. Those two teach people how to research and learn...

Mycroft2152

One thing Hippy and BeanieBots are very good at is coaxing the person who posts a thread into solving the problem themselves as apposed to providing all the answers. This approach results in a lot of back and forth posting till the question is resolved. I wish I was as selfless as that. Those two teach people how to research and learn...
That's the proper way to respond.

But, too many just spoon feed and post the answers.

Myc

r0b

mmmm...

Interesting thread.

Like Hippy says:
I think that's the way it goes in most other forums I visit.
I think exactly the same.

Regarding this:
I'd expected the number of regular posters to be higher in proportion given the 'passing trade' nature of many visitors who turn up with a problem, hopefully find a solution and are then perhaps never seen again.
It's very difficult for Neophytes in electronics and/or PICs help to others, and it's very easy to give bad answers that can complicate the situation and create much more problems than that we pretend to resolve.

I think prudence it's not a bad thing in these cases.

Last but no least (I've read this somewhere) understand english it's not an easy work for ¿some/many? of us, write in english it's a hard hard work. I must change my T-shirt every time I post a message. I console myself thinking that, at least, those who read can laugh a little...

Thank you all and "see" you later.

r0b

westaust55

More forum statistics

Talking about statistics, I am always trolling the internet for interesting information on PICAXE, PIC’s and electronics in general.

I noted that nearly all of the top posters (say 750+ posts) on this forum have a link in their profile to their own website. Though it might be of interest to see what elese they do of a PICAXE/electronics nature. Yet:

- only 16% have an active link that really does go to their own website,

- 5% have a link to another forum,

- 5% (I am in that category) do not have a link at all, and

- the rest (74%) of the “links” disappear into the “ether”.

While the large percentage of bad links could be a left over from a past major forum upheaval, but maybe its time for members to update their profiles.

moxhamj

The "my picaxe won't work" threads are fine. In fact, they can be the most rewarding ones to solve. It is the other group that are frustrating, the; "Please bild me a rokket ship. I need it by next tuesdy".

Webpage link checked and working...

We had lectures in med school on how to spot dodgy statistics. Graphs which show a dramatic rise in performance of a drug (but where the y axis conveniently goes from 2104 to 2117). The probability of a study showing a positive result even when one isn't there (set it at 5%, and all you have to do is keep doing studies and eventually you will get what you want. Then just publish the positive one).

In a study examining the efficacy of a new medication "morphopeth", 33% of patients got dramatically better, 33% showed no change and the other patient died.

One statistic I reckon is pretty good on this forum is the percentage of problems solved. All credit to the many members of this group.

boriz

"In a study examining the efficacy of a new medication "morphopeth", 33% of patients got dramatically better, 33% showed no change and the other patient died."

LOL

westaust55

Dr_A, you are one-third of the group who as at this morning have a working link to their own website.
Agree whole heartedly. I am currently (until my circumstances change) prepared to put in a lot of work helping newcomers, and DO frequently try to ascertain if it relates to school/college/uni type project.
I also find it far more enjoyable helping those who will have a go for themselves but run into problems than those who declare:
- (as you say) “Eye wonna a wokkit sheep by nex twosdy”.
- I built it exactly as per the circuit diagram, why doesn’t it work
- The program code is straight of out the manual
Then when you do try to help them will not try what you recommend but jump about like rabbits without trying what is suggested or clearly answering the questions so others can ascertain clearly what the problem is or what results have come from tests.

Many never declare that their project is now working, so the “helpers” are left to wonder if the enquirer just wandered off into the PICAXE wilderness/desert.

Mind you there are also those “helpers” who do not answer the question actually asked. Sure, even I have misread a question and gone of at a tangent a couple of times, but some dive straight into how they would do a project without regard for what the enquirer may have already done/purchased.

While accepting that there can be language problems, slang does not help. People really do need to understand how to describe all facets from the start:
1. exactly what hardware they have
2. the circuit diagram
3. the code they have tried
4. a CLEAR photo of the project (can pick errors when the circuit diagram is okay)
5. the symptoms they get
6. what they have already tried

I have mentioned before that it would be good if Rev Ed / technical could expand upon the READ ME FIRST sticky post at the top of the thread and even make reading this a prerequisite to becoming a forum member.

Last edited:

r0b

Westaus:
I have mentioned before that it would be good if Rev Ed / technical could expand upon the READ ME FIRST sticky post at the top of the thread
I agreed, of course adding this at READ ME FIRST section:
People really do need to understand how to describe all facets from the start:
1. exactly what hardware they have
2. the circuit diagram
3. the code they have tried
4. a CLEAR photo of the project (can pick errors when the circuit diagram is okay)
5. the symptoms they get
6. what they have already tried
And, by the way:
While accepting that there can be language problems, slang does not help.
It's a big truth so...
boriz said:
LOL. Get those solar panels up!
¿What it's the meaning of these solar panels?
I must change my T-Shirt because I'm "sweaty" (that is what reverso or google translator says).
Hasta la vista.
r0b

I read about 20 percent of the topics I'd say, mainly the ones that might offer answers to questions I have myself. The ones that ask about way high level things, or with the big chips are way above me, so I'll go back to those as I get better at this. No matter what the subject is, if the topic goes beyond about three pages, it has probably gone off topic, and I really like reading those too. As a fairly new member here, still, I find it to be very helpful, and I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me...really! And...I would be totally lost without the support on here, so THANK YOU!

If I may, I want to tie this reply into another one concerning forum Etiquette, after all, it has gone a little off course already, and it is a statistic too. I have seen a little of what I would call "rudeness", but it is almost always in response to rudeness or arrogance on the part of the one asking the question. I would estimate 99.99 percent of the replies on here are polite, helpful, and much appreciated. Thanks to all you do for us!!!

Andrew Cowan

BB,

But, how many of those new threads were:

My PICAXE won't work?

I cannot connect via USB!

Can I use a 9 volt battery with PICAXE?

Most responses can be summarized as "It is in the manual', or try it first.

This is a prime reason for creating a "Tips and Tricks" forum section

And of course there is always the Norbert phenomenon.

Myc
Can I add:

Never used picaxe before - want to make a 255 LED display/missile defence system/mains voltage thing etc as my first project - help please?

A

BeanieBots

Anyone watch the X-Factor auditions.
Note the people who audition who quite blatently can't sing but insist they can and get very upset when they're told they can't.
You get that type in all walks of life. Like the hot-dog stall owner on 4.50/hour applying for a coporate exec job at 100k.pa and failing to comprehend why he failed the interview. After all, he already runs his own business.
We get them here too. And sometimes they simply need to be told what's what for their own sake. Politely of course but they'll still be offended. If you ignore them, they just bump.

westaust55

BB, the same applies in shows such as:
“ So you think you can sing/dance/whatever”

Closer to this forum, in endeavouring to be polite, I have on occasions used wording such as “ Can I respectfully suggest that you . . . .” when asking the original enquirer to rethink their stance.

BeanieBots

I was thinking more along the lines of:-
"It doesn't work"
have you tried this...
"It doesn't work"
have you tried that...
"It doesn't work"
What have you tried?
"It doesn't work"

Bye...

westaust55

Noted. I was considering those cases where the enquirer was so adamant that their ”hardware/software was “Straight from the manual”.

On a couple of previous occasions, tongue-in-cheek but entirely valid format, I have even tried the BASIC :) (structured :confused:) approach:

IF situation 1 happens THEN
Try_this1
ELSEIF situation 2 happens THEN
Try_this2
ELSE
Your PICAXE may be damaged
ENDIF​

However, at the end of the day its horses for courses on how to glean information about the problem and suggest possible solutions.

But if it isn’t also of interest/”fun” to the Mentors then they will/may not stay around the forum to assist the newbies.

BeanieBots

Always difficult to distinguish between a well intentioned statement and "attitude" when there is only the written word to go by. I think more use should be made of the emoticons to express any emotion which might be behind the text. A simple phrase which may seem fairly harmless to the poster might easily cause offence to another member or in a different culture. If it was followed by an emoticon it would help convey the intent with which it was written.

westaust55

More statistics

Getting back to the original theme of this thread . . .

as at this day, of the current 47,777 members of this forum,

a total of 44446 (~93%) have never made a single post

a total of 921 (~2%) have made just 1 post - if it was a question then they obviously never said thanks in return

so the remaining 2420 (~5%) of members are responsible for some 37807 posts (and that includes the archives and sandbox!).

Hippy is responsible for 8123 (~21.5%) of those posts.

Jeremy Leach

Best not even think about % of disk space used at Rev-Ed HQ ... no wonder Hippy's been brought into the fold - to look after his own terabyte of data ! (joking, joking..)

westaust55

Another thought . . . .

On a caravanning forum I frequent, they send out an email to members who have not posted for a period (say a year). A bounced email indicates they have moved on and the moderator removes them. That seems to keep the membership at around 1500

With such a large proportion of non posters here maybe anyone with zero posts and "joined" in 1970, that is, joined over a year ago could be considered for removal by Rev Ed. Certainly no posts / information is lost by this move and might make forum database management easier.

That way the membership would reflect more realistic membership at something like 3000 to 4000 rather than ~48,000.

We archive relatively recent threads (ie from about 3 months ago) so why not "archive" some non posting members with ancient joining dates.

BeanieBots

I agree that a method of "dead-wood" removal would be desirable, but we have a large "read only" audience. Failure to post does not mean "inactive".
Have a browse at "who's on-line" from time to time. Many frequent regular users who have never posted.
Maybe kill off user-names which have NEVER logged in since joining or possibly no login for > 1 year but not on posts.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
More statistics ...

13 have made more than 1,000 posts
Another 100 have made 100 posts or more
Another 600 have made 10 posts or more

westaust55

hippy 8,124
Technical Support

BeanieBots 4,254

Dippy 3,538