erase problems with 16f76

scorpy

I am new to all this. i have purchased a pic programmer from www.tech-supplies and using a 16f76 chip. i cannot seem to check this device is blank or erase it..any ideas on what is going on, i have tried lifting pin 24 but still no joy. does the picaxe programme cater for this chip????

Charliem

Looking at the suported pics in the dropdown menu in the serial programmer software I dont see your pic.This might be your problem.Thats not to say that REV-Ed won't add it.Do you get any error mesages?

scorpy

everything is fine , converts flow chart to basic, can select micro type but when it comes to target pic it only has pic16f872 as a 28 pin, assembles ok but then states pic not found when attempting to program pic, obviously as it is looking for pic16f872.
When using program pic, i can choose the 16f76 and read the chip, i dont yet know how to look at the data it reads of the chip yet,
I do get an error message when verifying the cip, error as follows...byte$2007 low is $a0 should be S80 high is $3f should be $3f. When checking the chip is blank it says it is not, when trying to erase the chip it just comes up failed check pic is inserted correctly...how do i include this chip so it targets it instead of 16f872, any help gratefully recieved

Charliem

Ok I see now that it does support this pic.In the dropdown menu after I select 28 pin I get a list of different pics to shoose from.one being 16F76.That is all you need to choose to program .read or erase the pic.Not unless I missed something.What version of serial pic programmer are you using?

scorpy

I am using version 4.19
I have checked the chip where i work on a picstart system and it works fine, chip was erased fine there, still no joy with this programme or program, software or programmer issue..or cos i dont know wot i am doing, also tried this with the same piaxe program and programmer from a work collegue and the same results are found

scorpy

Just an observation with this pic programmer from tech supplies....to use in 28 pin operation do u have to desolder the ic socket and move it across into other location as there is 2 places for the chip holder on this pcb?

Charliem

Hi scorpy,
No you should'nt have to do anything other then put the pic in the Zif socket,select the corresponding pic in the the programming software and thats it.other than selecting the config bits and so forth.Have you tried another pic like a 16f628 or something different?

Edited by - charliem on 5/28/2005 9:21:49 PM

Edited by - charliem on 5/28/2005 9:22:07 PM

scorpy

No i havent tried another pyet, will do so next week and get back to you, thanks for all the help and advice