Can I use a separate Terminal?

hbl2013

Can I use a separate Terminal with a pre-programmed chip that uses the sertxd command as its output? (And use its program serial TX out pin as the output?) Normally I use this command as a debug tool as I am programming a chip while the serial output is connected to the computer for programming purposes.
In this case I like a pre-programmed 08M2 check a HR004 Sonar Unit and print out the value it detects through its sertxd command. I will use an other laptop as the Terminal.

Jeremy Harris

Any basic terminal emulator should work fine with the serial output from a Picaxe. I've used a separate netbook running Termite (a simple free terminal emulator programme) to monitor one Picaxe serial output (via a serial to USB adapter) whilst using my desktop PC to run the programming editor to make changes to the programme.

Often this is quicker and easier than turning the Terminal window on and off within PE, I've found, especially when trying to debug things, where I'll sometimes use a spare output as a serial debugging output, rather than use Debug or sertxd on the main programming connection.

hbl2013

......... Often this is quicker and easier than turning the Terminal window on and off within PE, I've found, especially when trying to debug things, where I'll sometimes use a spare output as a serial debugging output, rather than use Debug or sertxd on the main programming connection.
That is a good idea! I like to try that with my next project. I have an old,old (1998) Compaq laptop, running DOS 6, which I use as a dedicated Terminal Unit for other projects I have. Being old, it even has an RS232 Port!

grim_reaper

You don't even need a separate PC/laptop to do this. I've got 3 or 4 serial cables (1 RS232, the rest USB versions) on one PC, and if you set the ports up properly you can see it all on one screen.
Although I prefer to use more than one monitor, so the PE can be maximised on one screen.

Depends what hardware you have to hand I guess!