Axe110 small question

Jarubell

Thinking about getting the Axe110 but I have a question, can I have the data logger record the sensor values or time stamp on an event change not time interval? Hopefully I make sense.

eggdweather

Yes, the axe110 is a useful single board solution that makes available a real time clock the ds1307 chip and also fit a memory chip too, both of these are upgrades, so to do what you need, you will need an AXE034 (or a DS1307 and a CR2032 coin battery) plus a 24LC16/P memory chip or maybe a larger one 24LC256/P, the rest is down to the basic programming.

Last edited:

Jarubell

Thank you, I may just buy another 18M2 and a memory chip and play with them on a bread board, now that I put a little thought into it $80CAD for an Axe110/034 is a little much at the moment. Which brings me to my next set of questions, I have been reading the manual, "Serial Interfacing to a Computer", but I have no serial connections on any of the PCs here at home. I do have an Axe026 (my out-of-town PC has serial), I was thinking of ordering an Axe027 but now maybe just a RS232 to USB. Has there been issues with using a converter or should I just get the Axe027? Is interfacing with a computer with USB basically the same as indicated in Picaxe Manual 3, "Serial Interfacing to a Computer"?

inglewoodpete

I have both types of interface leads and use them both regularly.

The AXE027 gives less trouble due to its TTL level output.

eggdweather

The axe027 uses a USB port and has a 3.5mm Jack plug ready to go straight into the picaxe boards for programming. You could buy one of the many USB to serial converters and wire it to a 3.5 mm plug to get the same. The difference in cost and convenience might be marginal. You can achieve the same as the 110 board using a breadboard, but adding the battery backup is fiddly.

Jarubell

Thank you.

eggdweather, I would purchase the converter to use with my Axe026, might just be less trouble to purchase the Axe027.

eggdweather

Sorry I meant AXE026 the USB variant and absolutely yes I'd get one because it removes so-many unknowns and it works...unless (of course) your PC's have an RS232 port then the 027 is essential.