Your favourite PICAXE of all time?

Your favourite PICAXE of all time?

• Total voters

nbw

Curious as to which PICAXE folks have enjoyed the most over the years. Stan, for example, 08M I imagine. Me, the 18X.

How about everyone else?

(note - the poll only allowed 10 options so I chose 10 I *thought* might be the most popular......)

Let's have it! :)

Last edited:

manuka

An interesting idea, but it's somewhat historic ! You need to update for the new "M2" range, or alter to say "past PICAXEs". Stan.

nbw

Yeah, I wanted to make sure all of our beloved ICs no longer in production got a final send-off, as the new wave of fire-breathing monsters that are the M2s swing into the spotlight.

"Back in the days, y'know, we only had 4 measly MHz and 256 bytes to code in and yer know what? WE WERE GRATEFUL FER IT, AYE"

manuka

Well said, but the survey is flawed as is (since you've included the 20X2), & IMNSHO it still needs rewording !

Dave E

I voted 20X2 because of the "small project versitility". The 08M and now the 08M2 has got to be right up there.

Dave E

nbw

Crumbs, I'm not sure I can figure out how to edit the poll itself, bother. (help?!)

I could then re-do the categories as:

08/08M/14M
08M2 / 14M2
18 / 18A
18X
18M / 18M2
20M / 20M2 / 20X2
28A
28X / 40X
28X1 / 40X1
28X2 / 40X2

inglewoodpete

Or you could do what I do. Determine what the problem is and work out the most suitable solution. This is usually a balance of cost, size, hardware and software complexity.

I have a favorite coffee mug but not a favourite PICAXE.

Last edited:

nbw

You might be right Dippy. Now, all I need to do is figure out to rig, I mean, enhance the poll to give 18X the best possible chance of winning. "Sounds like we needs us a special vote Florida-style!!" LOL

Dippy

The 18X was my first PICAXE so I have a soft-spot for it.
But I'm pleased that the later ones now have the more traditional Portx.y descriptions.
So, I'm dithering.

Goeytex

I like the 20x2 as a development/ proof of concept platform because it supports almost every command & feature.
This allows me to develop on a single inexpensive platform and then select the actual Picaxe that will be used
in a final design based upon needed commands, speed, & features.

manuka

Mmm-this "'other" PICAXE is taking a commanding lead- can't say I've noted it in Forum discussions or Rev.Ed brochures. Perhaps it's Hippy's 04M ?

nbw

It kind of looks like a 4-way race.... the turbo-charged 20X2 has its nose in front, 300 mil to go, the 18X is coming up on the inside....!!

(An exciting day at the (t)races :)

SAborn

Its a dual love affair for me, where possible the 08m is the winner, as its such a versatile little chip, and then for the bigger projects its the 20x2, with its great pinout configuration, makes it a far better winner than the 18x pin configuration with the extra speed to boot.

Dave E

I second SAborn's reply. The 08M is great for small projects and now with the 08M2, I can not think of any improvements that are needed in the 8 pin configuration (yet). The 20X2 is a full blown, all options chip in a good size package. Hard to decide which is best overall.

Dave

nbw

"The 18X is fading fast, hasn't got the extra legs of the 20X2, but my-ohm-y the 08M, the smallest of them all seems to have grown some as they head into the final turn!!!!"

SAborn

Think the 18X has stumbled and lost its jockey, now the 08m has morphed into 08m2, with a smaller jockey and bigger b---s (boots), we all know good things come in small packages, putting the 08m a nibble in front.

rigidigital

I remember pushing the limits of an 08M because I was a little overwhelmed at programming a chip. I'd encourage anyone to take the step up to a 14M or 20M , makes life easier :)

I loved that post awhile back comparing the use of an arduino with going fishing witha battleship'I have to agree. For a very small fiancial outlay you can do a lot with a picaxe.

Last edited:

premelec

I'd make that a 14M2 - only slightly high price than 08M2 - or the 20M2 - on the other hand a lot of the challenge of small memory is lost and the pitfalls of long convoluted obscure coding are gained... :)

John West

My favorite PICAXE of all time was my very first 20X2. She was fast, versatile, and we spent a lot of time together, both good times and bad. She'd do just about anything for me if I asked her just right. But then along came a 12 Volt wall-wart and she was gone, just like that. Didn't even say good-bye. Sigh....

lbenson

... and she was gone

As the song goes (almost), "There's more pretty PICAXEs than one".

Liking 20X2, 14M2.

nbw

Looks like it's a 2-horse, er, IC race... I knew I should have overclocked the 18M *pounds fist into palm*

nbw

I reckon once 100 folks have voted, the race should be over. Or earlier, if the 18X gets its nose in front.

inglewoodpete

Maybe the best poll would be to invite all forum members to place an order for their favorite PICAXE. Then Rev-Ed could keep a tally with their cash registers.:rolleyes:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Having got a good indication of what's not going to score well, with 20% in the "other" category, you could create another poll and we could close this thread. I'm sure people who have voted would likely vote again and not mind doing so.

Squeezing that into 10 options I'd personally go for -

08M
14M
18M
20M
18X
28X1/40X1
20X2
28X2
40X2
Other

John West

More like a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor.

The 20X2 is still my favorite, all things considered. But I think if this poll is done a year from now it will swing to one of the just released chips. Lot's of memory, lots of speed, lots of programmable legs, lots of new features. Inexpensive. What's not to like? Technology improving by leaps and bounds is great. Now, if I could just keep up with it......

Last edited: