WOW

vk6bgn

.....now you'll have the time to go to every bleedin' Scunthorpe United football match you ever wanted too. ;)

papaof2

Retirement may be yours if you have no family or friends - otherwise you may find yourself with a list like mine ;-)

Wife:
paint three rooms
renovate the master bath (new fixtures and countertop)
paint inside of garage (including epoxy on the floor)

Daughter #1:
install ceiling fan on screened porch
install router for home network
update PC for the granddaughters

Daughter #2:
replace noisy fan in DVD player
lawnmower won't crank
grout in shower needs repair

I did get about 9 months without any projects, but I wouldn't recommend having a disc removed plus two vertebrae fused as an alternative to family projects ;-)

John

Dippy

Judging by some of the posts on this Forum the only thing that some people will fuse is their house wiring.

Solution:
Win the lottery, pay for someone to do the domestic stuff and that'll leave you with plenty of time for your projects.

Enjoy it Rick!

SilentScreamer

Solution:
Win the lottery, pay for someone to do the domestic stuff and that'll leave you with plenty of time for your projects.
Alternate solution - Get a very expensive life insurance policy, then buy a canoe then get your wife to claim you went missing. Claim the policy then use all the money to buy a house abroad (always seems to be lots of PICAXE in Australia :p). Finally get a new account here and hope they don't find you when you name it "Rickharris2".

manuka

Rick- here's how these things tend to go.

Around late August your teaching replacement will panic & quit the job.You'll receive an urgent call from your old school to "help out for a few weeks" & weaken. Well - why not - especially since your car/house/wife has come in for $$$$$ attention that you'd not budgeted for.

Naturally you recall where everything still is in your old lab., & most of the faces & students are friendly compared with the pensioners at your local. The school admin. keeps hearing from you that "you're only here short term" so they butter you up shamelessly - chocolate biscuits with morning tea etc- & being relief/supply you decline all the tedious chores. You'll probably make more money than previously, AND feel greater job satisfaction too. Hey- those lessons go REALLY well when you can relax! As winter sets in you realise daytime home heating bills are serious stuff, & that workplace heating is free. No only that, but all those workbenches are marvellous for projects during the school breaks. And so it goes -you get the idea ...

Next thing you know it'll be 2014.

This exact scenario applied to a former science teaching workmate who only lasted a summer "retired" at 65, & then put in another -gasp!- 10 years! His motivation related to a quest to say he'd 50 years classroom teaching. (Yes-he then lived another 13 years, passing on at 88) Stan

Ruzzz

We have 4 people we call shift "R" here, All retired more than 5 years some 10. The come in when our sheduler cant get anyone to do overtime, mainly weekends. Last year I celebrated 25 years with the same company in september, in October he had been here 50 years!

Rickharris

Stan:

Where as I recognise the scenario you present, indeed my 'replacement', as such, is already retired and came back 2 or 3 days a week and has now accepted a years contract to fill in for me whilst they try to recruit a replacement it's not for me.

Experience had taught me not to look back but build on experience and move forward. A little travel , South Africa to see relatives, NZ to visit old friends, a bit of cruising out of curiosity to see what people see it it and an attempt to put some flesh and substance around ideas I have had circulating for years.

In 1957 - 59 my father noticed the garage roof was hot in the summer and he needed a source of hot water so he rigged an old washer pump to pump water round the roof and heat it up - Solar heating in 1957!!! he developed a semi automatic lawn mower to save having to follow the motor mower all the time, he also built the motor mower from a cyclemaster http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Raleigh%20Bikes/pages/Raleigh-Cycle-Master-55.htm

He built radio controlled systems out of tuned reed circuits excited by electromagnets and valves rescued from old radios despite not having any electronics training or background at all. Guess I get it from him.

Ill spend a bit of time making and breaking things for my own amusement rather than watching the kids do it. Maybe I'll even make a bit of money on the side.

Now that thing about tracking the rabbit - that looked challenging!!! :)

BUT I have most definably taught my last school lesson. :)

Dippy

There's a girl down my local pub who looks like an autonomous blimp.
... and she ain't full of helium!

Rickharris

That pesky wabbit!
You could flush him out of fields using remote controlled inflatable Santas.

I actually stopped last week to take a photo of the incredible inflating Santa but now the crop has grown they seem to have removed it :(