Wireless to picaxe

I dont think any of the above would work, it has to be 100% wireless, like no lan/wan line to the little router thing
Im trying to build a sensor type thing where it would send a message or signal to me from the middle of the desert whenever it senses something from a ultrasonic sensor

manuka

-a sensor type thing where it would send a message or signal to me from the middle of the desert-
This is more than a tad hazy my good man -we can not read your mind or visualise your AZ location.

What sort of distances are involved? Where is the nearest Internet link? Is your desert in cellular coverage? How will it be powered? What is your budget? Skill level? Professional project or just hobby? Security?

I suggest you PLEASE provide VERY full details of your intentions! Stan. (in South Sea NZ)

Svejk

Maybe a bit ambitious this project. Did you buy a multimeter in mean time? A project of this complexity will require more than a DMM but this will be a good first step.

For isolated areas, were no internet is available you'll have to look for different options like gsm, long range vhf, sat coms. There are a lot of solutions available.

And, if is so isolated, I guess there is the power issue as well, how you plan to power the system?

lbenson

Right, scant on details. Where is the internet link to which you wish to connect?

If within cell phone coverage, picaxe to sms via a cell phone is possible, with, if necessary, solar charging.

Alright guys my bad
I will power everything from a external battery and bring the volage down to 5v
Budget isnt a problem at all
Distance should be pretty far from me to the picaxe so im thinking that picaxe to sms would be the best route
anything i missed guys? :)
Oh and no i havent bought a multimeter yet :|

manuka

Distance should be pretty far from me to the picaxe so im thinking that picaxe to sms would be the best route
OK-so you've cellular SMS in the middle of this desert? Mmm-Verizon's map below shows their anticipated coverage, but naturally local "swampy" regions will abound.Have you hence actually confirmed cellular coverage at your monitoring site? If only very slow speed data is needed, & you are a radio ham, perhaps some low frequency telemetry could be used. VLF is a very well established ham pursuit these days.

I'd personally worry that some rascal will run off with your monitoring gear however! In spite of today's drastically lowered costs, solar PVs are still attractive to the light fingered... BUT - you go on to say -
Budget isn't a problem at all
Nice to hear! Please reserve a trans-Pacific NZ-AZ flight & organise cooling drinks for my site inspection. Naturally a 2nd opinion will be needed - anyone in UK fancy some Arizona sunbeams? Stan.

Extra: I'll grab a multimeter for you as I pass thru' duty free.

Attachments

Last edited:

lbenson

>Distance should be pretty far from me to the picaxe

Any quantification of that? Furlongs? Leagues? Line of sight? Intervening hills?

What kind of usage do you anticipate, e.g., constant monitoring and infrequent wireless transmission? Is the locale open to weather or sheltered?

To get useful help, more details should be provided.

Alright what i meant by budget isnt a problem is that im willing to spend a good amount of money, maybe around 100-200 us dollars? Which i think should be plenty X) should of clarified that, sorry :)

What im trying to do with this project is sense drug smugglers/illegals, my uncle like has his own militia and asked me to build it X)
So i was thinking about hooking up a ultrasonic sensor to like a tree or cactus or something and whenever something trips it it sends a signal to me via sms
Sorry if any of that is unclear

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
So i was thinking about hooking up a ultrasonic sensor to like a tree or cactus or something and whenever something trips it it sends a signal to me via sms
Then we are back to what distance the sensor will be from a receiver or what service coverage you have where the sensor is placed.

If you have GSM coverage then no problem, otherwise you will have to find a transmitter which has the range to reach a base station or nearest node if you build a mesh system. You really need to determine what equipment can be used before considering how to.

Ultrasonic sensors have rather limited range and those designed for outdoor even less. Also check the operational temperatures.

I'd suggest grabbing an SRF005, prototyping and testing with just a LED to detect triggering before moving on to more advanced schemes.

cdngunner

Why dont you give landmines a try.....you'll know when someones there.

Realistically, you may wish to spend an extra $300-500 and set up an infra-red GSM camera...
A hell of a lot more coverage.

THIS

http://www.jablocom.com/component.php?cocode=catalogue&itid=8&icid=2
http://www.icobal.com/store/The-EyeSee-GSM-Security-Camera-Eye-02.html

and some of THIS

http://www.makebe-leaves.com/artificial_plants.html

Dont forget the camo paint

something closer to home but you will have to build an appropriate housing
http://www.trackingtheworld.com/gsmcamera.htm

Last edited:

papaof2

Im trying to build a sensor type thing where it would send a message or signal to me from the middle of the desert whenever it senses something from a ultrasonic sensor
The simplest thing that can be completely wireless in the middle of the desert is a satellite phone with a solar charger - probably more $$$ than you planned for. The alternative is a solar powered transmitter with directional antennas pole or tower mounted at each end. That's also $$$.