Windows 8 and AXE027/ports

Peterrey

I would be grateful for any help possible with my problem...

I recently upgraded my laptop that I use for PICAXE programming to Windows 8. It 'said' on the box 'all programmes, etc. carried over from Windows 7' and the PC manufacturer 'says' it is upgradeable - that is another story, though (Yes, I know; I'm an idiot...). One of the main things I use the machine for is PICAXE development (probably, the main thing) and now I can't get the AXE027 programming adapter to work. Originally, it wasn't recognised at all, but I reinstalled the drivers (using the windows 7 procedure) and that problem was overcome. However, now I have two associated devices when I look at ports in the editor startup options; the AXE027 on COM 3 which is marked unavailable, and a generic communications port on COM 4 which is available but doesn't work (before anyone questions the hardware it is connected to it is a PICAXE 20X2 circuit on a standard REV-ED board, and it worked just fine with Windows 7) probably because it doesn't have the device type of an AXE027 associated with it. To make matters more frustrating, the entries in the Hardware Manager on the PC seem not to be deletable, and I keep getting a message that I 'must have registry write privileges to delete the device'. This is all being done from an an account that has full administrator privileges.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't really want to down-grade back to Windows 7; it took 3 days to get the laptop working just for normal stuff, and it still won't connect to wifi using DHCP - I have to use a static address and put all the DNS addresses in too.

Goeytex

Try this ...

1. Close all open Programs
2. Open hardware manager > Ports
3. Open Properties for Axe027 > Advanced > Advanced Port Settings
4. Change Axe027 to Com 4. Ignore any warning messages & click OK
5. Close Hardware manager & any other open programs
6. Restart Computer
7. Open Program Editor and see if AXE027 is now available

Let us know the results.

Peterrey

Thanks for the reply.

As a result I have looked into the hardware manager a bit deeper, and I remembered a post about the 'hidden entries' in hardware manager. It was under the USB ports down the bottom of the list; there was an extra entry for an AXE027 (one on COM3 and another on COM4) so I actually had 2 installed. I deleted the two associated with COM4 - one from the USB and one from the ports - and Hey! Presto! it works. I tested it with a spare 20X2 board I had lying around, and downloaded a simple test program, without problem. I now only have one entry in the PORTS bit on the options, and it still doesn't show up as an AXE027, but it seems to work just fine. Once again, thank you.

Peterrey

More to the point, there should be someone by every Windows 8 display saying 'Just say, no'. Yet again another half-arsed, misleading, Microsoft product release.

JimPerry

For more than 30 years every-other Microsoft release has been rubbish ...
DOS 3.1 (OK) 4 (pants) 5 (OK) .... various attempts at Windows then Win95 (pants) Windows 98 (OK) Windows ME (I still shudder)
XP (Still use it) - Vista (pants) 7 (OK) 8 (pants)

Missed out some of the revisions - but you get the idea :confused:

BeanieBots

For more than 30 years every-other Microsoft release has been rubbish ...
DOS 3.1 (OK) 4 (pants) 5 (OK) .... various attempts at Windows then Win95 (pants) Windows 98 (OK) Windows ME (I still shudder)
XP (Still use it) - Vista (pants) 7 (OK) 8 (pants)

Missed out some of the revisions - but you get the idea :confused:
Never really considered it before but I fully agree with your observation except I thought DOS 6 was OK.

inglewoodpete

I would add Windows 3.1 as good (for the hardware available at the time) - I used it for years and managed to skip W95 and W98.

I would put Windows 98 in the "cr*p" basket, while Windows 98SE was a little better - at least you didn't have to reload it every second week!