Windows 11 update

erco

Version 23H2?

Hard to believe they are already talking about Windows 12 while Windows 10 still has a 67% market share. Experts are predicting some serious backlash when EOL hits in October 2025. I'm firesaling my hoarde of Win10-only laptops as we speak.

Last edited:

papaof2

Well, I'll likely run Win 10 for as long as it continues to work - the "teething" stories about Win 11 continue to circulate. I might go with one of the newer Linux releases as they seem to have a less painful transition for some people than Win 10 to Win 11...

I still have an ancient Dell D630 laptop running XP and it works reliably as my backup mail machine - with a 2TB drive, I have several years of email stored on it. Why? Because that's the only record I have of when and where some things were purchased and the email with date and place of purchase IS my "warranty card".

I got all that computer's useful "productive" life (writing software on someone else's dollar / pound / ruble / renminbi (yuan / jaio / fen)) and writing most of my 13 published books - although much of one title was written on a 10" tablet with a decent wireless keyboard - and then moved to a PC for spell and grammar checks and formatting for Kindle.

Last edited by a moderator:

inglewoodpete

Well, I'll likely run Win 10 for as long as it continues to work......
Have to agree with you on that point. You'll never find me queuing for 72 hours outside an Apple store for the latest iPhone 27. Nor, for that matter, will I buy a newly released model of car. As for replacing Windows 10 - I still have to run Windows XP under Oracle's VirtualBox for one application that I have.

geezer88

When I find I can't run win7 for what I need, I will migrate to Linux. My two computers were bought as surplus from the the local university. I detest the obsolescence model of so many consumer goods. I continue to use my computers for the same activities I used my first computer: readin', writin', and 'rithmatic. And, of course programming micros. The later may be the only real driver for a newer machine.

tom

kfjl

One of my kids recently found a couple of laptops in a skip at the local rubbish dump. Both had Win 7 installed. I suppose they were dumped because Microsoft no longer supports its Win 7 users. Neither had a power supply because the cables are cut by the rubbish dump employees, probably for some vague security reason.

One of the computers is a Toshiba satellite that I got to work with the power supply From the Asus monster (core i7, 16 gig ram) I was given by someone who had upgraded to a bigger monster. When I die, the last 12 gigs will probably still be brand new!

Anyway, the second laptop is a HP ProBook with a core i3 and 6 gig of ram and it runs off a HP4400 power supply. It's currently running Debian so I can use it on the net. It's a lovely silent computer with a 17" screen, like the Toshiba's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people who dumped them (with all their personal files!) turned out to be ecologists who buy books made from recycled paper and vegetables in corn-based bio-degradable plastic bags...

papaof2

I'm with kfjl - you use the hardware until you've squeezed the last CPU cycle from it ;-) The Dell E6420 I'm using now is from 2013. Dell does NOT support running Win 10 on it but it works just fine! The $100 delivered laptop also works acceptably fast with an after-market SSD. That means I have a few $$ to spend on PICAXE chips and peripherals ;-)

erco

Windows 11 is barely different from Windows 10, just few tweaks. I have installed or upgraded a dozen cheap used computers to it. No issues, I like it. There, I went and said it!

BTW it doesn't have to be a bank breaker. I haven't spent more than $50 on any of my ten HP Stream laptops which are Win11 compatible. They need a Celeron N4000 or higher, 4 GB ram and 64 GB ssd. Nice machines.

The most interesting computer I've bought lately is this tiny Larkbox. It comes with Win11 installed, the EBay seller took my best offer of $72, free ship. I love it! https://www.ebay.com/itm/166388588572

Last edited:

papaof2

Have you determined how much malware was pre-installed on the LarkBox? There seems to be a rash of that going on in the small computer boxes.

erco

Have you determined how much malware was pre-installed on the LarkBox? There seems to be a rash of that going on in the small computer boxes.
Zero, fortunately. I also saw several mentions of implanted malware online, so I first logged with a burner Outlook account so I could scan for malware. Norton, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Defender, all found nothing.

piclt

They forgot the GPIOs!

and "real" Serial Ports...... If you want to be compatible with older technology.....
I have a Velleman K8048 PIC programmer .... only works on a "real" RS232 serial port.. (uses pins 3,4,5 and 7,8,9 no pin 2) ...... won't work on a USB to Serial adaptor.....not even Rev Eds....

erco

They forgot the GPIOs!

and "real" Serial Ports...... If you want to be compatible with older technology.....
I have a Velleman K8048 PIC programmer .... only works on a "real" RS232 serial port.. (uses pins 3,4,5 and 7,8,9 no pin 2) ...... won't work on a USB to Serial adaptor.....not even Rev Eds....
My main desktop at work has a real serial port and Windows 10, works great. I doubt if any of the newer hardware for Windows 11 (8th gen or newer Intel processor) has a real serial port. Something has to give.

piclt

Hi erco..... "How do you paste in the wee link type quote "piclt said" etc.....??
You said..... " My main desktop at work has a real serial port"...... Yes, because it was probably asked for when buying..... My own current desktop (DELL Intel I7 Win 11 ) does not have "Real serial" because I thought it would be OK to use USB to Serial adaptors..... But now discover adaptors are not "Real Serial"..... they are OK for 2, 3, 5 operation with Xon/Xoff handshaking and maybe RTS/CTS but not all options. I can also buy a PCI card serial RS232 to get a serial port. On the other hand the K048 doesn't have a proper "Real" serial port it doesnt use pin 2 and uses other pins to switch on the programming voltage...?? ..... I think someone once said that the RS232 standard was the most non-standard standard ever written.

papaof2

I think the only thing standard about RS232 is that the description contains the letters "RS" or "rs" and the digits "232", with or without space or dash. Beyond that, all bets are off.

Various creative people have found MANY uses for the "non-essential" leads when doing short distance communications. I designed a point-to-point signalling system for an Operator Services unit that needed a status signal added - but the copper cable between them and the switching office had no spare wires. My fix had one pair of wires doing double duty. Put in a point-to-point modem to carry the text communications to a terminal and used one of the "extra" control leads on the modems to turn the "overload" light on and off as needed. Simple, used available hardware and could be implemented in one day. But that's what the geeks in the "skunkworks" did: we got the requests when someone else said "That can't be done". 95% of the fixes were done using what was already available - but in a way the "can't be done" speakers had never thought of.

However, RS232 protocol is robust - at least when run with shielded cable between 25 pin connectors, although people have reported success at impressive distances using a few strands of barbed wire as their "cable". Bell Labs came in to investigate the source of a lot of voltage difference between the AC grounds on different floors of a multi-floor telephone switching office when the grounded shields of the long RS232 cables running between computers and terminals on different floors drew sparks when they touched the metal chassis of the 80 character by 20 line terminal they were connected to (40+ years ago). They planned to put an electronic long distance telephone switching machine (4ESS) in that building and the grounds/neutrals of the AC power between ALL floors needed to to be "clean" - have zero current flowing in them. Many months and $$$$$$ later, it was finally fixed.

kfjl

Judging by the number of people who's first question when the raspberry pi came out was; "Will Windows run on it?", the Larkbox might find its market.
Two projects that come to mind: connect a webcam to it for bird-watching, or use an IR dongle to make an audio player for people who can't read what's on a cell-phone screen.
It's like a Pi for people who have better things to do than learn to solder.

erco

Hi erco..... "How do you paste in the wee link type quote "piclt said" etc.....??
You said..... " My main desktop at work has a real serial port"...... Yes, because it was probably asked for when buying.....
Click "Reply" (next to "Like") to quote someone's post.

My desktop was an older refurb when I got it ~2015, harkening back to simpler days when all computers had serial ports. Bought for $50 on Ebay, free shipping, it came with Windows 10 installed. Still works fine, best money I ever spent.

piclt

Click "Reply" (next to "Like")
OK found it, it gives a reply quoting the whole of the text....... also discovered if drag across to highlight a part line of text and then click the popup reply..... you get a reply quote with only the text highlighted

also .... " My desktop was an older refurb" ..... I not knocking older technology but the new USB to Serial most are not USB to an all pins 9 pins serial

erco

No knocking perceived.😀 Many of us here are old cheapskates who love, celebrate and maintain our vintage tech. " You can pry it out of my cold dead hands..." 😆