why won't Prog Editor "run" under Win XP????

yachtbits

just reinstalled the current version of Program editor on PC running on XP Home.

Editor program works okay upto the point where I click RUN to program the PICAXE. I then get the "Error - Hardware not found" message.

After about 4 hrs of messing about, I have tried it on two XP Home PC's one with proper serial ports and one with a USB to RS232 adaptor. Neither work, same error.

Also tried it on old Win98 PC and it worked fine.

All PC's tested with 08 starter board and a a 18X datalogger.

Everything points towards WIn XP Home.

Any Idea's please. (don't say use the win98 PC, it's 4 miles away in a freezing workshop!)

Kev

manuka

The Picaxe editor certainly runs A1 under XP,& that error means your serial connection/port is "defective"- perhaps due to driver hassles?
Check responses to a similar previous posting =&gt; <A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/Topic.asp?topic_id=5261&amp;forum_id=28&amp;Topic_Title=USB%2BSerial%2BAdaptor&amp;forum_title=No+new+posts+please%21+20 ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Are you using a proper (&amp; cheap) Rev.Ed USB-serial adapter?

RexLan

Just a thought which is obvious unless the editor can't communicate with the port via XP Home. I have XP-Pro and it works fine.

Serial port is generic.

Check your editor settings and make sure you have the correct chip selected AND 4 MHz. Also make sure you have the correct port selected and test it for communications.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that I had 8 MHz selected.

Edited by - RexLan on 09/12/2006 22:27:08

BeanieBots

No solution for you but I can confirm that the Editor DOES work OK under XP Home SP2.
Can only suggest that you look at your serial configuration.

yachtbits

thanks for quick responses.

I've just been through it all again on XPHome Laptop with USB to RS232 adaptor.

I've done absolutly nothing different to before and as per all your suggestions. The damn thing has worked on both 08 starter baord and 18x datalogger. Where did that 4hrs go??

Thanks for input

Kev

manuka

Assume you mean it's now working correctly? It-ahem-wasn't Friday happy hour when you first tried things was it ?