Why isn't terminal showing up ?

binary1248

I just switched to ver 6 editor tonight and it's great.
BUT, I can't get the terminal window to show up. The registers show up on the right of the screen and I can see the values change when I change the input counter, but no terminal. So what did I do wrong.
Tried #terminal 4800 also, which hoses up my com port ??
Here is the code :
Code:
;  Read the timing wheel (Crank Sensor) as a 
; count over a constrianed period
; That will be converted to RPM value to 
; control a servo that is the indicator
;
; some of the # dirictives may not be needed but
;included here for convience.
;	12/2/2015 Set limits on input ctvalue to prevent overdriving the servo
;
#picaxe	08M2

#no_data   'save some load time
; #no_table
;
symbol redled=C.2 ;pin 5 on chip
symbol ctvalue=w0 ;count value for rpm
symbol tempxvalue=w1
#terminal 9600

Start:
	input 3         ;make ports  3 inputs, physical pins 4 

;
	init: servo c.4,75 ; initialise servo, physical pin 3
mainloop:

;---------------Input ctr value for rpm calculations ----------------
	count c.3, 100, ctvalue ; count pulses in 0.1 secs (at 4MHz) on pin 4

;----------------------- For debug, remove down to and including templ ---------------	

tempxvalue=ctvalue  ;for debug display only
	debug tempxvalue	      ;data looks good over entire range and more at this point
	pause 500
  goto mainloop   ;temp for debug
templ:  
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

erco

F8 opens STerm in v5. V5 lets you click a preference box to open STerm after each download. Possibly similar in v6?

binary1248

Yes, F8 opened a terminal window, but it says port already in use by debug. I thought I remember using terminal to show a specific value while in debug .
In this case debug tempxvalue which is what the debug info in the manual says to use.
I can live without it, not a show stopper, just something I thought would be nice.

binary1248

Well, it seems V6 is different, it is suggested to do it this way. Need to stop reading my old manuals and use on line manuals. :eek:
Note that the debug command uploads a large amount of data and so significantly slows down any program loop. To display user defined debugging messages use the sertxd command instead. Note that on 08 and 14 pin chips debug acts on 'B.0 / output 0'. Therefore programs that use output 0 may corrupt the serial data condition. In this case it is recommended to use the following structure before a debug command. - See more at: http://www.picaxe.com/BASIC-Commands/Serial-RS232-Interfacing/debug/#sthash.hKyfwdIA.dpuf

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It is not possible to use Debug and Terminal display at the same time. You can turn live Debugging off then open the Terminal; click on the 'Debug' icon in Code Explorer so it is no longer highlighted. You can then close Terminal and re-enable Debugging if desired; F6 or click on the 'Debug' icon so it is highlighted.

You can have DEBUG commands ignored by adding #NO_DEBUG To the code.