Where to Start Programming

Codesmith

I'm just getting started with picaxe, and I've got the basics of the physical breadboard and circuit design, now I need the basics to BASIC.

I'm a programmer with experience in C, C++, and Java, so I know what I'm doing (usually), I just need to find a good place to start. I've browsed through the commands, and while they're great for finding a something specific, I don't know where to start in general.

All I'm looking for is a good place to get started with BASIC. (It could just be example code that highlights the biggest points with comments, nothing too extensive)

-Code

Puuhaaja

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?39-Code-Snippets

I think that you can get some information when you check some examples from topic above.

You didn't mention where you have browsed basic commands. For example at the end of page: http://www.picaxe.com/BASIC-Commands/Digital-InputOutput/irin/ there are some examples how to use that code. Similar code example section is written on every basic command page. Hope this help you little.

Best place for me when i started Picaxe was my own table where I had couple of components and breadboard. My way of learning is to make somekind of gadget and try to get it working.

Codesmith

I wasn't expecting this answer, I'm used to the previous stated languages where you learn the basics, then build something.
This seems to be the opposite (learn what you need when you need it). Thanks for the direction in the code-snippets, I thought that it would be too advanced, but I'm getting some useful stuff from it.

-Code

premelec

I suspect often with PICAXE the first thing is 'wanting to do something making hardware work' rather than things like generating "the user illusion" on a display such as is often the case with other programming . In short often I want to make a relay operate after reading temperature and turn on and off various lights etc. - or simply log various values etc... so the completed projects section is replete with examples of things you can do with PICAXEs - have fun!