When is picaxe project gallery judged monthly?

pleiser

at the picaxe project gallery when are the winners chosen monthly? my project was entered in june, and I have yet to see the results (the suspence is killing me). when are they typically judged?

P.S. Happy fourth of july yesterday (for those for which it is relevant).

P.P.S. Judges, vote for me ;)

westaust55

Hello Patrick,

Well done on the award you received at the California state science fair.

For your future reference, I had a look at your PICAXE computer project website: http://patrickleiser.weebly.com/picaxe-computer.html

You provided links to youtube videos and California state science fair pages
but did not make a single mention of where the PICAXE chip comes from, the PICAXE forum or the help your received from members here (not from me to recollection so not a case of sour grapes).
Only acknowledgement was to/for your mothers help. In the world of business (commercial and engineering, etc) it is good practice to reference/acknowledge sources of information and help.

Hopefully this is taken as constructive comment for the future.

Sorry, but I cannot help you with respect to where the Rev Ed team review the Project Gallery entrants.

Last edited:

pleiser

Hello Patrick,

Well done on the award you received at the California state science fair.

your future reference, I had a look at your PICAXE computer project website: http://patrickleiser.weebly.com/picaxe-computer.html

You provided links to youtube videos and California state science fair pages
but did not make as ingle mention of where the PICAXE chip comes from, the PICAXE forum or the help your received from members here...
fixed: http://patrickleiser.weebly.com/picaxe-computer.html#thanks

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
When are they typically judged?
They are judged after the end of the month in which submissions are made and when judges have had a chance to assess each submission. Additional time is sometimes needed to arrange judging, come to a decision, announce and inform the winners.

nick12ab

Project looks impressive! There's even colour syntax in the code you uploaded. All you need to do now is get a smaller keyboard and embed it in the lower half of the casing.

I've noticed that the display is updated noticeably slowly in the video. Did you add pauses to the code to do that on purpose (then remove them before uploading the code), or is this a drawback of the serial interface used for the OLED?

pleiser

They are judged after the end of the month in which submissions are made and when judges have had a chance to assess each submission. Additional time is sometimes needed to arrange judging, come to a decision, announce and inform the winners.
It was judged when I woke up this morning, I won! :)

Project looks impressive! There's even colour syntax in the code you uploaded. All you need to do now is get a smaller keyboard and embed it in the lower half of the casing.
Yes I ordered 2 seperate small ps/2 keyboards (only flexible keyboards fit; no one makes small PS/2 keyboards:( ), neither worked, so I was left with a keyboard from our old computer, which thankfully worked. My solution to using it was to put it on top of the computer when closed and put it in when I opened it, which works well enough.
I've noticed that the display is updated noticeably slowly in the video. Did you add pauses to the code to do that on purpose (then remove them before uploading the code), or is this a drawback of the serial interface used for the OLED?
I did not add pauses to the display updates, however the display updates are not very noticable when using it except when reading from the SD card (uses i2c), then you can keep up with the display as you read, which can get annoying when you want to read the file quickly. overall I am sastified with the screen update rate.

nick12ab

no one makes small PS/2 keyboards
Many USB keyboards have controllers which will also work as PS/2 ones if an adapter is used which simply connects pins from a PS/2 plug to a USB socket with no electronic components or PICs involved at all. If the keyboard in question has no 'bonus keys' other than Power, Sleep and Wake Up then chances are it will work.

For example this keyboard does work with an adapter (despite the web site saying "USB only") because I've tried one.

srnet

I did not add pauses to the display updates, however the display updates are not very noticable when using it except when reading from the SD card (uses i2c), then you can keep up with the display as you read, which can get annoying when you want to read the file quickly. overall I am sastified with the screen update rate.
There is a very nice serial LCD out there, will give you 7 lines of 42 characters, more if you use a smaller font size. I have driven it at 9600baud, with no pauses even for a display init or clear.

Reasonably priced too, $19.

pleiser

Many USB keyboards have controllers which will also work as PS/2 ones if an adapter is used which simply connects pins from a PS/2 plug to a USB socket with no electronic components or PICs involved at all. If the keyboard in question has no 'bonus keys' other than Power, Sleep and Wake Up then chances are it will work.

[image removed to save space]

For example this keyboard does work with an adapter (despite the web site saying "USB only") because I've tried one.
I tried a usb keyboard with an adapter, it did not work, however I will look into that one.

There is a very nice serial LCD out there, will give you 7 lines of 42 characters, more if you use a smaller font size. I have driven it at 9600baud, with no pauses even for a display init or clear.

Reasonably priced too, $19.
do you have a link to this display? I looked for a bigger serial display but could not find one online.

pleiser

PM recived, seemed a bit complicated for my (relatively simple) uses, I may get it for a future project if the need arises.
I am planning to overclock my display (when I get around to it (I will need to open the case, as I did not add a internal programming cable(yet))) to 32 mhz and see if there is any improvement.