What's happened to my AXE133Y OLED? :(

MartinM57

Was all working fine, in use in its intended application, then on the next power up (no software changes made) I get some vertical lines on both rows, with different intensity "pixels" on them

If i have characters to display in those positions I seem to get "additive" results on the matching pixels

Rock steady 5v supply, decoupling caps etc all in place...it was all working fine then, honest, nothing changed at all except switch on/off and then those lines appeared.

It was being used outside periodically during the day, and it had got a bit warmer in the afternoon - but to no more than 25C (not in the UK!), Today, in the house (in the UK) it's 16C and the lines are still there
bad-oled.jpg

(by the way, am using the OLED "bare", ie without the onboard PICAXE, and using an 8 bit interface)

nick12ab

Back when Rev-Ed first started selling the OLEDs, someone else had the same problem with their 20x4 Winstar OLED module.

However as you've been using it outdoors then there's the potential for damp or condensation to get in between the PCB and the elastomeric connectors, but this is more likely to cause columns to be dim rather than come on. Disassembling the module and cleaning the connectors with a dry cloth would fix that problem.

Jeremy Harris

I've had one fail just like this. It worked OK for a week or two then developed vertical lines just like yours. No apparent reason for it, and I just changed the display for a new one and it's been working fine ever since. I keep meaning to take the duff one apart and see if it can be fixed, as I've seen problems like this with LCDs in the past that were just due to poor connections through the zebra strip (not sure if the OLEDs use zebra strip connectors though).

StigOfTheDump

I had one do this a couple of years ago but as it was in the construction phase, I thought it must be something I had done. I think my vertical lines were a couple of characters to the left of where yours are, one of the 2 central characters I think. I had potted it with hot glue in the see-thru lid of a box so couldn't do much with it. Maybe it is a heat issue.