What is the difference between MAX7219 and 74HC595 ?

Rbeckett

What is the fundamental difference between a Maxim MAX7219 and a 74hc595? Other than pin count they appear to do the same thing. I have both types so which one would be the best to use in a multiple temperature led display. Each display would be 4 digits with one to the right of the decimal point. Any suggestions to go with a 40 pin picaxe?
Thanks!!!
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

nick12ab

The 74HC595 is a shift register and the MAX7219 is a multiplexed display driver. Therefore they both don't do the same thing.

The MAX7219 would be (much) easier to use with PICAXE if multiplexing the displays as the task of multiplexing them is done by the MAX7219 and not the PICAXE but it is more expensive.

John West

A quick reminder to all:
"What's the difference?" is not a useful thread title for anyone who might wish to do a search for threads discussing these devices or for those with knowledge of such devices who wish to offer help with them. We should all try to come up with meaningful thread titles, instead of just trying to attract the curious. I generally disregard such threads, as do others.

Rbeckett

The 74HC595 is a shift register and the MAX7219 is a multiplexed display driver. Therefore they both don't do the same thing.

The MAX7219 would be (much) easier to use with PICAXE if multiplexing the displays as the task of multiplexing them is done by the MAX7219 and not the PICAXE but it is more expensive.
Thanks Nick, that is what I was looking for. I have both chips since I saw them mentioned in several different threads, but didn't understand the fundamental difference in their function and methods of use.
Wheelchair Bob

westaust55

If you are only looking for 4 digits, another option would be the SAA1064 i2c interfaced 4-digit 7-Seg LED driver

Last edited: