What I need to do a RGB LED CUBE.

Manel_s4

I want to do a RGB LED CUBE 8x8x8. I supose that I need a chip like 18M2, but then I suposo that I have to multiplex or something like this. How can I do this?
And what about to control the LEDS RGB?

Jamster

8 x 8 x 8 x 3 = 1536 pins to control
so...

Multiplexed would require 80 outpins, 40X2 has 32 I/Os so wont work.
Charlieplexed confuses me but should be doable with PICAXE.

The way to go is Charlieplexing of which I dont fully understand so can't say how many I/Os it will take.
If you want brightness control then good luck with that, you will probably need an LED driver chip...or a few dozen LED driverchips...

Jamster

Manel_s4

I'm new in this forum, I have already read these posts, but I don't understant as well I would want. Can you clarify?

nick12ab

Do-able with 18M2? With a billion shift registers! No, but quite a few.

I'd recommend first doing a 2D 8x8 square matrix before going 3D.

Manel_s4

Here is my 3x3x3 led cube's schematic. I add another photo of the cube for clarify each number of each LED. In the second and the third floor follows the sequence like the first floor.

In this schematic I haven't connected the jack socket 'cause I haven't found it in the DesignSpark, but it is connected in 2 and 3 of the 18M2.

Numeració leds primer pis.jpgSchematic 3x3x3.jpg

nick12ab

Click 'Free Software', then on the page it links to click on 'DesignSpark', then on the 'Downloads' tab, then you'll see the PICAXE Create library files and installation instructions.

Manel_s4

Here is my final schematic with all the componenents of the 3x3x3 LED CUBE MAIN COLOUR. I have been thinking, and finally, I'm going to build a 4x4x4 LED CUBE RGB. What do you think? What components I need?

I have thought, that if i use a LED DRIVER CHIP I can go without less outputs. Namely, if I don't use a LED DRIVER CHIP I need 4x4x3 = 48 outputs true? (Supposinght that I multiplex each floor, like the 3x3x3 main colour project)

However, I use a LED DRIVER CHIP, I need only 4x4 = 16+(I supose that three more(LED DRIVER CHIP)) = 19. Am I right?

Schematic 3x3x3 with 3,5 mm downoload socket.jpg

nick12ab

I have thought, that if i use a LED DRIVER CHIP I can go without less outputs. Namely, if I don't use a LED DRIVER CHIP I need 4x4x3 = 48 outputs true? (Supposinght that I multiplex each floor, like the 3x3x3 main colour project)
"I can go without less outputs": double negative. Do you mean "I can go without using as many outputs"?
If it's a 4x4x4 LED cube then it will be 4x4x4 rather than 4x4x3. Anyway, you can use shift registers to save on pins but the extra overhead might be too much.

Manel_s4

"I can go without less outputs": double negative. Do you mean "I can go without using as many outputs"?
If it's a 4x4x4 LED cube then it will be 4x4x4 rather than 4x4x3. Anyway, you can use shift registers to save on pins but the extra overhead might be too much.
-First, yes. What I want to explain is this, that I can save many pins
-Second, I have wrote 4x4x3 because I'm only talking about one floor. And the number 3 is because i think that i have to multiply by three because de LED RGB has three pins.

I don't know if I'm right, I'm only asking.

Thanks.

nick12ab

Second, I have wrote 4x4x3 because I'm only talking about one floor. And the number 3 is because i think that i have to multiply by three because de LED RGB has three pins.

I don't know if I'm right, I'm only asking.
Or would it actually be 4x4x4x3, one 4 for each dimension?

Of course, that amount of LEDS would have to be multiplexed.

Last edited:

eclectic

Sorry, I am not understanding you.
Please do not worry.

Jamster was replying to post#16

@nick12ab and Jamster.

Please remember that this Forum is international.

Many, very intelligent individuals, post questions here.

However, second-language fluency often does not run to
flippant or juvenile humour.

Think first. Think of the context.

e

Manel_s4

I have a doubt.

What are the leds that I need to do this project. Comun cathode or comun anode?
What are the diferences?

Last edited:

nick12ab

What are the diferences?
The difference is when you have common cathode, the cathodes of the three LEDs built-in are connected together and each anode gets its own pin (i.e. one cathode is common to all) and for common anode it is the other way round (individual cathodes and one anode).

Manel_s4

And if i want to connect de LEDS to a driver chip LED or directly in a MIC CONTROLER PIC, which type have I to choose?

inglewoodpete

I suggest the the next step is to draw a circuit diagram as you think it should be. Post the drawing here and get feedback. That way, you can get an idea if you are on course and not wasting your money.

Manel_s4

Thanks, I've already bought the leds. I have chosen the comun cathode because all the people that I asked has recommend this type. And it's logical, it's easier to connect the three anodes directly in a chip and connect the comun cathode to the NPN transistor.

I'm working for the project (RGB LED CUBE 4x4x4). As soon as poosible I'm going to update my files.

If there is anybody that domains the item/theme, please give me some advices.

Thanks ;)