Weird Wireless Problems

George Sephton

Hi All,
I have been looking at the TX1 and RX4 by quasar for wireless communication, and after watching this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQ5sB8Kn6E
a lot seemed to make sense.
I currently have the 2 modules setup in a breadboard with 2 PICAXE 08Ms but there's a weird thing happeneing. With no antenna attached it works fine and the led blinks as I have set up my program to do so. If I attach an antenna of any length (bear in mind the modules are 4 inches away from each other) the led still blinks. However if I add an antenna to the RX4, regardless of length or if there's on attached to the TX1 it stops working and the led will stop blinking but stay on or off (as it's toggle code so the rf receives 1 value and that toggles the led.) Why is this? I haven't yet put them into 2 seperate breadboards to see how far away I can get them but I can't imagine it'll be far if neither, or only 1 have antennas.

Thanks for any help,
George S.

moxhamj

It may be overloading the receiver. This is probably a good sign that you have a sensitive receiver. I've found the modules that work well right next to each other are the ones that struggle to go more than 10 metres. But the ones that have a minimum distance of 1 metre (ie they don't work when next to each other) are the ones that go the long distances. Maybe try it with the modules 5 metres apart and with antennas?

manuka

Agreed - my experiences too. Rather than move them inconveniently apart, try a metallic biscuit tin or bird netting wire mesh etc over the whole RX.