Webcam image, without a computer

husslemk4

would a Regular CMOS webcam with a Red, green and blue (RGB) output be able to display an im age on a LCD screen with RGB input?
I know it's already possible to use a PICAXE to drive a color LCD, but that was only making colors and patterns on the screen

the screen i am reffering to is a 3.5" Hitachi color TFT, found on Rapid electronics, hear is its PDF file

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/DOCS/57-0976.pdf

Edited by - hussy11 on 18/05/2006 11:39:59

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't think that will work. The LCD uses digital lines to set the colour of each pixel and the webcam will give out analogue R, G and B at best, and most will have encoded those into a single composite video signal.

You'd have to split the synch pulses from the composite video, digitise the analogue signals, synchronise up the timing, and run it all into the LCD. Not any easy task.

husslemk4

Thanks, i did have my worries about it too.

Would you or anyone else know of a camera that could produce an image on the LCD?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I doubt you'll find one in webcam form. Sensors in digital cameras and camera phones are probably digitally accessible in some manner and Google may be the place to try and find further info.

There is the CMUcam and similar, but you'd still have to turn what the camera puts out to something to display on the LCD, and that will undoubtedly require something more than just a PICAXE in the middle.

Edited by - hippy on 19/05/2006 14:09:12