Waterproof SRF005

1968neil

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to find a waterproof version of the SRF005 Ultrasonic range finder, i've done a google search and there seems to be a few other types that are relatively expensive compared to SRF005.
Or is it possible to swap the transducers for the car variety ? cant seem to find much info on them that's picaxe related ?
im looking at making an outdoor sensor and just trying to find a method of detecting and tracking moving objects. i've done all my research and built it using the SRF005 and it works, just need to waterproof it now :)
Any help/advice appreciated.

Regards
Neil

PieM

Hi,

From robot-electronics.co.uk :

Q. Can we replace the transducers with sealed weatherproof types?
A. No. We have tried these on both the SRF04 and SRF08 and they do not work. The characteristics of the sealed devices requires a different design. Look at the SRF485WPR for a weather resistant part.
Q. What is the RH limit for the transducers?
A. This is not specified by the transducer manufacturers and is not listed in the data sheet. The following is the manufacturers response to an email "The RH here in Taiwan is normally higher than 95%. Just if this sensor(400ST/R160) is used in the air, it should be okay. Don’t use in outdoors. Exposing in rainy day or underwater is not allowed."

techElder

The reason is ... there is a big difference between the speed of sound in air and the speed of sound in water.

Haku

I also tried putting waterproof ultrasonic sensors from a vehicle reversing kit onto a SRF005, didn't work, so I sold the kit.

However JimPerry's link got me wondering what other ones were available on eBay, and found this with the sensor on a cable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301663561604

I might have to think again about putting such a sensor on my bike, with vibration motors attached to the handlebars to notify when someone gets too close behind me.

rossko57

I might have to think again about putting such a sensor on my bike, with vibration motors attached to the handlebars to notify when someone gets too close behind me.
Interesting idea ... you'd need to take Doppler into account too?

erco

You may find that ultrasonic sensors give erratic readings when there is a lot of wind, vibration, and noise. Such as on a moving motorcycle.

techElder

The Doppler Effect works for any type of transmission: Sound or Radio/Radar/Light. If a car goes past you in the street, you will hear the pitch (Ie frequency) of its sound drop as it passes.
I've spent my whole life working in and around ultrasonics. On the tail end of a bicycle ... you're not going to have to worry about the change in frequency of sound reflections.

Be sure and check for accuracy of the readings between a "wet" day and a "dry" day. There might be a significant difference.