Voltage Regualtors

George Sephton

Hu,
I have a 5V Voltage regualtor (mc78ld5acp to be precise) and I was wondering how to use it to convert voltages. I've seen such voltage reguators used in 5V to 3.3V circuits with the 2 capacitors, but how can I use mine to convert 12V to 5V (without a potential divider circuit) Do the cacpitance of the capacitors make a difference to the voltage output or input? Or if I plug 12V in and put a 0.33uF on the left...?
Thanks,
George S.

BeanieBots

The voltage regulator does the conversion.
The capacitors (the short story) are to smooth the input voltage and stabilise the output. They are very important for reliable opperation. The values are not very critical and largely dependant on your power requirements and any any loads you may have or need to switch.

The voltage is determined by the regulator.
A different voltage requirs a different regulator.
It is possible to 'jack up' a regulator voltage but I don't recommend doing it. Get the correct regulator instead.

Do you have the datasheet for that regulator? It should answer most of your questions. If you post a link to it, then there will be no doubt about which one we are talking about. Some regulators will oscillate without an output capacitor. Some don't like to have low ESR caps on their output. The datasheet will say for sure.

BeanieBots

Yes, the diagram on page 9 is a MINIMUM recommended capacitance.
Also, pay attention to the notes just below the diagram regarding "as close as possible".

If your circuit requires additional capacitance for reasons in it's own right, it would also be a good idea to fit extra capacitance on the input side as well.
Don't forget to add 100nF "as close as possible" to the PICAXE as well.

EDIT:
Be very careful with the pinout.
The 78LXX series is different to the 78XX series.
The 78XX series is far more common, so many circuits will show a different pinout to that required by YOUR regulator.

Last edited:

George Sephton

Don't forget to add 100nF "as close as possible" to the PICAXE as well.
Please expand on this, this is new. An electrolytic? Ceramic? Where exactly, ie VDD to VCC?
I really don't use capacitors often enough.

BeanieBots

It's for "decoupling".
Do a search, it's been covered many times here.
Ceramic will be fine. As close to the PICAXE 5v & 0v pins as possible.

It should be a HABBIT to fit one.
Consider special circumstances to not bother fitting one.
DON'T get into the habbit of not fitting one and then finding out you needed it.

premelec

Pay attention to the power dissipated in the regulator - it's not an efficient switcher - power = (Vin -Vout) X Load Current - happy regulating!

Dippy

George, you've got me seeeriously worried ;)

A little regulator like this is one of the easiest components in the world to connect up.

Some time ago you said (on another topic) "...as my book is recommended for people who already have electronic experience, which I do ..."

and then you say here (re: your regulator) "and I was wondering how to use it to convert voltages.." - eerrrrr...?

and then you say "Please expand on this, this is new. An electrolytic? Ceramic? Where exactly, ie VDD to VCC?"

OK, so you may not know what type to use here, fair enough. However, the simple fact that you need them, AND where they are connected, AND a suggested value is shown on the very PAGE which you linked to.

That exact Data Sheet link and page you posted includes the comment quoted by BB i.e. from Data Sheet (your link) "Bypass Capacitors are recommend for optimum stability and transient response and should be located as close as possible to the regulator"

Are you comfortable with the definitions Vdd and Vcc means? (... without Googling right now!)

I'm not meaning to sound like a rotter, but I fear that people's explanations may be assuming you are a design engineer or teacher.

moxhamj

Hmm - I can't answer re that specific reg as a search on google for "mc78ld5acp" brings up this page! So now you have managed to get your post to the top of the google search engine, I suppose we have to answer this *grin*

I'm assuming it is a 5V regulator? If yes, well you can't use it as a 3V regulator. Regulators come either as fixed (7805, 7812 etc) or variable (LM317 et al).

If you want 3V, you could use a fixed 3V regulator or a variable regulator and set it with two resistors to give 3V.

Regulators are very easy. You put in any voltage (within reason, don't go above 25V) and out comes a nice smooth 5V. Or 12V. So the input could be a car battery that changes between 11V and 14V but you always get 5V out of the regulator. You can't do that with a voltage divider.

The capacitors don't affect the voltage. They are there to smooth the voltages. Generally, just follow the recipes. I tend to put 470uF on the input, 22uF on the output (both near the regulator), and then right next to every chip on the board, I put a 0.1uF.

There are different ways of describing values. uF (microfarad), nf (nanofarad) and pf (picofarad). 100nF is the same as 0.1uF.

If VDD and VCC are confusing, just use Ground and 5V and everyone will know what you are talking about. http://encyclobeamia.solarbotics.net/articles/vxx.html

There are different types of capacitors. Electrolytics tend to be bigger value ones. Ceramic, mica, greencap are smaller. Tantalums are more expensive but they have some advantages compared with electrolytics.

Re "I really don't use capacitors often enough." - capactitors are fundamental parts in electronics. Think of them as containers of water. Small value ones might be cups, middle sized ones buckets, and big electrolytics are rainwater tanks. (Supercaps are reservoirs!). Say you are an IC and you have just switched on a LED. That is a bit like grabbing a drink out of a cup. You want a drink and you want it right now. If you go to a tap and turn it on, the water takes a little while to start flowing. An example is when you drive over a fire hydrant and the geyser takes a while to get going. So the 0.1uF "decoupling capacitors" or "bypass capacitors" are like little cups of water sitting right next to the IC ready to supply any extra energy quickly when it is needed. Of course, you will need to refill the cup, and this is done more slowly from the big bucket down at the regulator, the 22uF capacitor.

As for your original part number, can you just double check that or give a pointer to a datasheet?

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

I think the device is an MC78L05ACP, the TO-92 version of old faithful. If you try and read "MC78L05ACP" off a TO-92 package, it starts to look a bit like "mc78ld5acp"

Last edited: