VFD & COG displays help

Minifig666

Hello again,
Today I come hunting some information.
I went to maplin today and for £4 got a display lucky bag. I'm fine with the LED displays but I also got a VFD and a few COG displays.

The VFD is a Futaba 13-BT-77. The internet has noting to say about it so I wondered if anyone here knew or had some safe testing values.*
It has a big black circle above a small area connected to the grid. It looks sooty, is that a bad sign?

There is no numbers on the COG accept one of them witch I'll have to get the microscope on.
They have no metal leads, they just seem to have distortions on the glass for wires. Is there a specific way to connect to these? Also can I treat them as LEDs or is there some nominal values for those too?

Thanks in advance.

Minifig666

From what I can gather the VFD is from a calculator. It has 12 digits, -, error, and memory segments. The heater looks to be the outer 2 pins on the device (3 wires suspended along the front of the screen?)

Attachments

Minifig666

Thanks e, it looked promising but they are serial control and no sign of the interfacing circuits. I might contact them directly but I have a good guess at what everything does.
The heater needs around 2.5V. The grids covering each segment takes around 80V. The element (filament) I want to select is then tied low.
Am I right so far?

I'm just going to put 1.5v on the COG displays and see what I can get I think . Nothing on them points to a model number and I cant even see the segments.

eclectic

Thanks e, it looked promising but they are serial control and no sign of the interfacing circuits. I might contact them directly but I have a good guess at what everything does.
The heater needs around 2.5V. The grids covering each segment takes around 80V. The element (filament) I want to select is then tied low.
Am I right so far?

I'm just going to put 1.5v on the COG displays and see what I can get I think . Nothing on them points to a model number and I cant even see the segments.
Well, if you like difficult quests,
or haven't anythng better to do,
then search the Forum using the terms
DOG display.

I might be barking up the wrong tree of course.

e

Minifig666

Yep, you'r right there Jamster. I don't like maplin but I cant resist (geddit), and they do some good deals.
Don't worry e, I find you funny, sometimes... :p

Thanks, I never thaught to search the forum. The only disadvantage is that all the displays are raw parts that come from unused stock. There is no posh serial modules built in or anything like like that.

Time to do some reading...

EDIT: Ok, using the diode test on my multimeter it would apear I've ended up with a load of screens from Hi-Fi systems with clocks. Now I have a use for that DS1037! :D

Last edited:

Minifig666

Unfortunatley it isn't that posh. I just run the probes around the contacts until something lit up. The diode tester is really handy.

Jamster

Every time I read "Under my lab coat... I'm naked:p" I think: "why is he wearing a lab coat at this time of night?":D

Minifig666

There is one that seems to have a graphic equalizer. Another has AM FM Stereo Loud ect. Another I can't seem to get to work at the moment.

Jamster, I always wonder why you are skydiving. I always wear my labcoat in case I have an uncontrollable urge for chemistry at night. Kinda like a midnight snack, just corrosive or toxic...

Jamster

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Started today as a member and now i am senior member!!!
Good day today...exept soldering iron nib died

P.S. can you post pictures of them working, not working and connections/interface circut (will buy some myself)

Last edited:

Minifig666

For the price they are definatley worth it. I got a few 7segs a 16 seg and some dual segments, along with some incredibly odd ones. (Maplins in Newcastle is all out if it helps)

As for interfacing curcits imagine some multimeter probes on a bit of glass. It's very undeniable and I think I've blown a few segments already. I'll try and get you some photos in the morning.

Oh and congrats on becoming 'senior'. That happened faster than I expected.

Jamster

I Know. i was a 'new member' last time i looked!

Thanks in advance for the pictures as they will come in handy in 9 days when surposedly all stores will have stock (unlikey knowing maplin). I never really understood the connections to those sort of lcds as i thought they were serial or parallel.

Oh and i feel for those segments that didn't survive, they had a short life but I hope a good one. Amen

Last edited:

Minifig666

I don't understand the connections I just try and find the common and probe around. Usually you find they are multiplexed = pain in the posterior.

I'm still amazed they can make all the wires completely transparent, it's amazing!
Oh, and may I remind you, they're called lucky dip bags for a reason, they're all different. Not everyone is lucky, I just got lucky with a valuable VFD.

Anyway it must be past your bedtime (and mine), mummy would be upset.

Minifig666

Ha ha. One tip, never take a technophobic friend into maplin. He spent all the time playing with a gun thermometer, walked into me and nearly made me break a COG!

Jamster

I amuse mysefe by watching people blind themselves with 'Vango swing' diisco lights (or similar).

Have you been wearing that lab coat all night?

Last edited:

Jamster

I still havent remembered why i cant remember. my mind is often distracted by leaping monkeys...called tim

Last edited:

Minifig666

I feel your pain, I can't decide if I'm indecisive.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I've skitsofrenia
I do too!

Photos soon.