Version Control

BeanieBots

In order to use PICAXE for testing certain product types I require a solid method of version control.
For the hardware itself, it's nicely taken care of with "READSILICON".
For EEPROM contents, I can generate an N-Bit checksum (where N can be large enough to keep "them" happy).
The READFIRMWARE command will probably not be required if READSILCON is used. (unlikely to change once "on-site")
The #Revision directive combined with READREVISION is the closest I can see with regard to program version control but it relies on the programmer to update the version and is limited to a value 1-254.

Is there any (automatic) way of knowing if the program has been altered that does not rely on user discipline?
For example, is it possible to generate a program checksum. (I'm guessing one exists for the download process?).

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There's no way to obtain a checksum from Programming Editor of a program to be downloaded and no way for a PICAXE to determine a checksum of the program held in internal Flash program memory.

If using an X2 and have downloaded into external I2C slot memory that could be read and a checksum calculated.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You could probably also make use of the #table / readtable commands, which have the advantage over eeprom equivalent in that they cannot be changed whilst the BASIC program is running?

pilko

Just gave myself a powerfull headache lurking this thread ---- must remember just to read the simple stuff.

pilko