VDrive2 - No capiche after first command

BDG

Hi all,
I am integrating a Vinculum VDrive2 (VNC1L) into my project and am testing it over serial (74LS04 + RS-232 [CTS# pulled low] + hyperterminal) first so I understand how it works.

I have sucessfully upgraded the firmware to the latest (V3.66) using the USB drive itself.
I can communicate over serial for the first command ONLY, after which I get "Bad Command" or no response at all. I can even repeat the same command that worked and still get a "Bad Command".
If I cycle power so it reboots, it works again (ONCE) then doesn't want to play.
I have read something about a synchronisation with E$0D but I can't see it doing anything (no response)

Any ideas? Is there something I've missed?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Sounds like you are not sending the correct CR/LF sequence with hyperterminal at the end of each line. The module expects the CR symbol after each instruction.

BDG

Hi again,
I thought so too, but I don't see why the first command works at all if there wasn't the correct CR/LF sequence. I also experimented with different CR LF combinations using a different terminal program which allows me to send specific hex codes so I know exctly what is sent (and recieved). I'll keep trying differnt things.....

Well while I was writing this I tried something (which I really didn't expect to work). I swapped the Progarmming jumper (inside the case) to the other position and tried communicating. No comms at all. No surprise.
.. but when I swapped it back to the original position and repowered it, it started behaving as it should.
I can now make directories, read files etc. over the keyboad. What is interesting is that it comes back with a command prompt "D:\>", which it didn't before, even after a correct response.
Looks good.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

BDG

I spoke too soon. It doen't pay to get too excited.
After I cycled power to it again, it started playing up as id did previously, though I have discovered if you persevere, and keep hitting it with commands it sometimes works, sometimes often. It appears there is a gremlin somewhere preventing relaible operation. I've switched to batteries to prevent any wierd hum loops and estraneous connections causing it but it persists.
I'm now trying direct connection to the Picaxe - but first I have to drop the Baud rate to something I can receive reliably (I've chosen 1200bps). Using an 18X, I have to run to 8MHz to send a SBD command at 9600 to drop it to 1200 first.
What a fun way to spend the Christmas hols!

MPep

SBD?? Are you using Iridium by any chance?

SBD stands for Short Burst Data. Almost all Iridium data modems (and handsets) can use it. Very easy to use, simple AT commands.

BDG

Hi MPrep,
No I'm using a Vinculum VDrive2. SBD is a VDirve serial command for SetBaud for the monitor interface.

Also, I've bit the bullet and directly connected it to the PicAxe, but I get roughly the same response. Not all commands work every time. Its a bit tough with the 18X as well as I can't use a timeout on the serin command so sometimes it gets stuch when it doesn't (..think it..) gets anything at all.

For the time being I've reverted to logging on PC with Hyperterminal. I dont have a spare X1/2 to use. I guess I could try SPI...

BCJKiwi

Don't bother with SPI on the VDrive2 (unless things have changed drastically recently) - wasted huge amount of time on that with no joy and no-one able to help.

Moved to uAlfat with great success.

Have a look in the sample programs section for examples of Vdrive2 on serial and uAlfat with i2c.

MPep

Fair enough. I do not have a VDrive2 so I did not know that it was a term specific to that.

Gumy

Hi,

I want to use a V-Eval kit (with VNC1L) to write files on a USB stick and I have exactly the same problem as GDB. The first command I send to the chip works but when I send a second command I get "Bad Command" and I have to reset in order to receive a valid command and get a "Bad Command" after.
I thought it was because of flow control RTS/CTS but I did not find anything.

Does GDB or someone else has finally the solution?

Regards