Using USB Programming Cable, TTL-232R-5.0V

elec_mech

Hi All,

Finally got my first set of PICAXE chips and I was hoping to avoid the expense of buying the USB PICAXE programming cable as I already have some RS232 to USB cables.

I'm trying to use an FTDI TTL-232R-5.0V cable to program the PICAXE, but I'm not having any luck. I'm using the 22k and 10k resistors into the SERIN pin of my 20M2. When I send the program over the cable, the PICAXE resets (I programmed it using a dedicated PICAXE development board first), but the editor says there is an error and to check the connection, power, etc. Because of the reset, I know the cable is sort of communicating with the chip, but not quite. If I reverse the TX and RX lines (in case I mixed up which was which), there is no reset, so I assume the original configuration is correct.

I know the 10k resistor is needed to keep the line pulled low so it is not floating. I've read the 22k is used to reduce the current going to the SERIN pin to a safe level.

I'm wondering if I can lower the value of the 22k or take it out altogether? Really don't want to destroy the chip in the process but I don't think this should be hard to overcome. Anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You probably need to invert the RX and TX signal polarity.

The 22K should not cause problems when using an FTDI interface so it is recommended to leave that in place.