Useful debugging tools/ideas

graynomad

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of designing a general-purpose embedded-processor debugging tool along the lines of the Bus Pirate, Open Bench Logic Sniffer et al but (hopefully) with more features. It will all be open source of course.

I have a very early list of features I think would be good

View attachment quadd_specs.pdf

This is very much just a wishlist at present and it's still not a given that I can even get all this working :)

However I would love to hear ideas from anyone with experience in debugging embedded systems of any kind, but in particular Picaxe systems.

Is there some common technique that I could help facilitate, displaying the data output on a serial port for example. Or even something really simple such as just giving access to some LEDs to flash.

graynomad

I know this is a complex project, but I would have thought someone would have some ideas.

Or have I thought of everything :)

manuka

Mate-give them time ! It's Friday night in the rest of the world,& we Kiwis are distracted by the rugby.

John West

All Blacks!

_______

I'm hoping Wolfgang will find the time to add some of these features to his super-inexpensive scope.

Last edited:

graynomad

Yes I'd forgotten about Wolfgang's scope so just reread the entire thread.

I don't think the two devices would clash, chalk and cheese really. One thing that was apparent from that thread is the need for a logic analyzer, I think I have that covered (in principle at least) but might spend some time thinking about trigger options, as triggering is one of the main issues with LAs.