Use camera remote shutter cable with Picaxe

parto

Hi, with electronics I am obviously a complete novice at best. How do I use a Picaxe to trigger a camera shutter via the remote shutter port? As I understand it the Picaxe outputs are pins that can be switched between high and low voltage. This isn't what's needed at the cable--what's needed, I think, is to open or close the circuit between two contact areas on the cable jack. How's this done? I am trying to use the Picaxe as an intervalometer--to automatically control the timing between photos. Thanks!

fernando_g

The way I did it, on my Sony DSC717 Cybershot, I opened up the remote and soldered a pair of very fine wires in parallel to the shutter button. I brought them outside with a small connector, and I wired a relay contact.
The relay coil was controlled by logic.
Back on those days, I had to use four or five CD4000 logic blocks. Nowadays, I would use a Picaxe 08M2.

parto

Fernando_g, thanks for the reply. I have a remote cord that has in it the required resistors (it's a Lumix camera)--there is no button. So I think I would use the same approach, with the relay contact. I have used a latching relay for another Picaxe project, but I think that in this case I would use a momentary relay. No sure what type that would be, but will look around....

parto

Thanks. I think I may not have been clear on what I am hoping to learn. All I need to know is how to electrically connect one of the rings on a stereo-type plug with the adjacent ring. The Picaxe will control the timing, but I know how to program for that.

westaust55

oracacle

scrap the botch of drawing you have there.
I have just sat at my laptop and the first website I went to after google'ing "lumix camera shutter connector" I got this
http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/

the ring closest to the housing is +v which goes to a 2k2 resistor, then a 2k9 and then 39k (resistor ladder) which loops back to the second ring which is 0v. focus is activated by shorting the 39k resistor to 0v using an opto/transistor/relay, and the camera is fired by short to 0v from the junction of the 2k2 and 2k9 to 0v.
I will try and get something drawn up, but I am meant to be going to sleep

parto

The botch of drawing is from that website; from the link: "A possible wiring of the cable is shown here."

oracacle

There is a very clear circuit on the main page, just replace the switches for chosen drive arrangement. If you use opto isolators you need to take note of the polarity of the output side of the device.

I take it you have cut the wire to the remote you have, of have you opened the main unit. which ever the case just use a multi meter to check which wire is connected to which pole of the jack.

oracacle

here, a quick drawing.

its actually very easy to modify the system from the thread that I posted earlier to run this system, heck the mods could be done I cable with no changes to the hardware that's already there.
FYI that device has an interval meter and control over shutter duration when the camera is used in bulb mode along with the standard shutter timer, that was the last update that it received.

Attachments

parto

I think I need just the full-press voltage and not the focusing voltage. When the camera has a full press it focuses before shooting.

oracacle

you need to check, I know for a fact that Nikons wont fire unless the focus is activated, even in manual focus mode

Pongo

Since you mention a different brand I'll add that the Canon remote has a separate focus option, but it will focus and fire even if focus is not activated first.

OLDmarty

Also note that if the picaxe holds the trigger signal on for too long, it may make the camera continuously shoot photos (like motor-drive).

Most cameras have the option to enable or disable this 'auto drive' feature.

Just make sure the picaxe code triggers the relay or transistor for about 50-100ms or so.
Triggering for too short a duration might not even trigger the camera at all, something you will need to play with as you develop your code.

best of luck.

mezzrow

i have just finish my project for a intervallometer for my olympus E-410, using an old 08m lying around.

It works perfectly and for closing the contacts ( two of them as the olympus only fires if focus is closed ) i use a 4066 quad single pole, single throw analog switch.

I Find the suggestion in this very useful forum ...

If you need help ask... ;-)