USB to Program

Alex3k

Hey guys, im currently using a serial cable to download my projects onto my 08m chip however i have decided to be abit radical and use a old USB cable i found laying around, so what i have done is stripped the wires which were red, black, white and green. the red and black are well obvious however i found this website:

[ See Post #7 before using the link ... ]

http://interface.centraltreasure.com/pc-interface-knowledge/usbwiringdiagram/

it shows me that the green wire is Data + and the white is Data -.
Does this mean serial in (green wire) and for the white wire serial out?

I dont want to connect it incase i ruin my only 08m chip

Just a quite edit, i have just realised i have forgotten the 10k resistor in the serin port... will this break the chip?

Last edited by a moderator:
Connecting the picaxe how you have described will lead to certain compatibility issues. The axe027 isn't just a usb cable with a stereo plug on the end. It has a usb to serial chip built into the usb plug so it is usb in one end and serial out the other. The easiest way to get usb programming would be to buy an axe027 or a usb to serial cable and use the cable you have already. I would recommend the axe027 as there have been many posts with people having trouble with usb to serial adapters.

manuka

Ahem-that "certain compatibility issues" is putting it VERY mildly! Raw USB data is in the Mbps range for starters,while the PICAXE family program orders of magnitude slower at a humble few kbps.

Short answer hence = YOU CAN NOT JUST "HACK" A USB CABLE FOR PICAXE WORK.

MartinM57

...it shows me that the green wire is Data + and the white is Data -.
Does this mean serial in (green wire) and for the white wire serial out
Just to be clear - not at all. USB D+ and D- lines are absolutely nothing like RS232 Serial In and Serial Out lines.

As stated, you need a USB<->serial adapter chip, an example of which is hidden inside the USB connector of an AXE027.

pete20r2

Your serial cable is going to work at the same speed as the AXE027, don't worry about it. I still use a serial cable with my 28X1, never had a problem and works at the same speed as the AXE027 on my other PC.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There is a report of the link in post #1 causing an anti-virus pop-up alert for a Trojan when using Avast AV.

There may be something odd about the landing page, maybe not. I've made the link within the post non-clickable. Copy and paste to your browser's address bar if you do want to follow the link at your own risk.