USB Serial Adapters

eagre

I purchased a USB010 serial adapter from Revolution. However, when I try to use it with Program Editor v5.2 I get verify errors on every attempt. I then used a SIIG USB to serial adapter with the Program Editor and had no problems. What is going on?

Ed

inglewoodpete

Sounds like a driver problem. Another possibility is that you're using Vista (also driver related). Can you give us some more info on your h/w and s/w setup?

eagre

Thanks for the response. I am using WinXP. I downloaded the drivers from the PICAXE site, but when I attempted to install them was told they were present. Incidentally, the PICAXE USB adapter appears on COM7 and the SIIG on COM2.

Ed

inglewoodpete

Basically, I don't know the answer.

However, from my experience with drivers, I'll describe a scenerio. You may have had a SIIG cable (I know nothing about them), with the driver loaded etc. Then you added an USB010 and driver. The 2 drivers possibly use some common elements in the operating system, preventing them from both working properly for their intended purposes.

If you had the SIIG interface first, you probably had some other use for it prior to PICAXE. One possibility is to unload both drivers and install just the USB010, then do some testing. Then, add the SIIG driver and try it again.

As I said, I'm guessing. Unfortunately, its not possible for a software house to test every combination of software imaginable when developing software. Consider yourself lucky that you have something that works, even though we don't understand why.

eagre

USB010

inglewoodpete -

Yours sounds like a reasonable evaluation. I cannot remove the SIIG driver as other applications depend on it. I guess I'll just use the SIIG adapter and discard the USB010.

Ed