USB DL cable &

MearCat

USB DL cable & BAT85/180R requirements

I have a homemade DB9 Serial >> 3.5mm Stereo plug download cable for my project and have a BAT85 Schottky diode and 180R resistor on the circuit board as an "Enhanced Serial Download Circuit". I will be upgrading to the AXE027 USB download cable thanks to my new PC not having a serial port and I noted that the Schottky & resistor are not needed for the AXE027 cable - I assume because they are integrated in to the cable?

It's a bit difficult to get to my circuit board to snip out the 180R and BAT85 on it so I was wondering would there be any technical issues in leaving them in and having TWO of each components in the circuit when attempting to perform a program download?

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Leave circuit as is, no problem. These parts are not in the AXE027 as they are not required, as it is a 5V logic level device as opposed to a RS232 voltage level device.

This is one of the main reasons an AXE027 is preferable to a serial/universal usb adapter combo.

MartinM57

They're not inside the AXE027 which is a 0-5v programming system rather than the raw RS232 (+ve and -ve voltage swings) programming method.

The 180R is a "nice-to-have" current limiting resistor and the BAT85 is for when you have -ve voltage RS232 signals being applied through the programming socket.

You can leave both in the circuit when using the AXE027....

MartinM57

I could almost be Technical :D

This forum needs a "someone is responding to this thread" real time flashing beacon alert....