UK shipping times from Futurlec

John O

I ordered an HP03 pressure module from Futurelec and received an email on the 9th Jan to say it's been shipped and to allow 5 - 10 days.

It hasn't arrived yet but, when I queried it, they just replied that it was shipped on the 9th by my selected delivery method. Knowing me, I'm assuming that will have been the cheapest.

I wonder what other experiences people have in the UK with deliveries from Futurlec.

And, is the HP02 (or similar) available from anywhere else!

John.

Andrew Cowan

I bought some parts (a few months ago) and paid for the cheapest shipping method - something like $8 for a shoebox sized box of parts. It took over 4 weeks - the longest I've ever known for any shipping!

However, smaller orders usually take between 7 and 14 days.

Andrew

Texy

Sorry to resurect this old thread, but on the same subject.....
Some of the prices seems very competitive - the prices are in USD?
Also I,m assuming that, depending on the cost of the parts, I,ll be expecting a charge for customs when it hits the door.
In my experience of ordering from Japan, China, etc I have yet to be charged for customs, but anything from the US usually does.
Rgds,
Texy

fritz42_male

Just fyi, yes Futurlec deliveries are slow and sometimes it takes a while before they actually ship but you have to balance that against the good range and great prices.

westaust55

Also I'm assuming that, depending on the cost of the parts, I'll be expecting a charge for customs when it hits the door.
Yes there may be customs charges involved dependant upon the total order cost.

Here in Australia, from memory that point is at AUD$1,000 which would normally covers quite a lots of bits and pieces.
But worth investigating what your local customs limits are.
Recall there was a thread which morphed into this topic before (on when customs charges kick in).

SAborn

Yes Westy is right for Australia but the $1000,00 limit is per calander month so be carefull if you go on a shopping spree.

In many cases you will get away with a little over the limit if the items are shipped in 2 or more packages ,so its worth asking the sender to split the items.

I know of cases where it was cheaper to have the goods returned to the sender and a small fee paid for the goods to be split and sent again to eliminate the customs fee.

Im not surgesting you break the law here, but is worth being informed to how it can operate and be used to your advantage.

Texy

Thanks guys. I placed an order, only $23 including the $4 postage. That is well below the £28 value that customs starts to charge from.
Lets see how long it take to get here.
Cheers,
Texy

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Don't forget that Monday was Labor Day in the US. That's a public holiday so it may take some time for companies to catch up with orders placed over the weekend and reduced level of staffing if taking the opportunity to make a longer holiday of it.

Texy

Thats right Hippy, although what that has to do with Futurlec, an Australian company, nobody knows :p

Texy

Goeytex

Futurlec has "offices" in USA , Thailand, UK Australia .... However the order I placed a few years ago was shipped
to the USA from China via China Post.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
My apologies. I thought Futurelec was a US company so no offence intended. I'll blame it on explicitly quoting USD prices on their web site.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Also nothing quickly spotted that indicates "Pty Ltd" or "Ltd" or anything which shouts, "We're Australian!", no mention of where head office is nor legal jurisdiction which applies to purchases or disputes.

I can understand that if done to hide origin away to prevent being impacted by prejudice; a former company I worked for opened a foreign subsidiary and branded our products to look more locally produced as the only way to get sales. Conversely, if you want to be seen as an international company, being a company from a particular locale may go against that.

Texy

Items arrived today;)
It shipped on the 9th, so less than 2 weeks to get here. The reason it was delayed, so I was told, was because of zero stock of one if the items, ( even though I'm sure it said there was stock at the time of ordering).
Still, I've paid less in USD than £'s for the 3 item types I ordered (atmega chips, dil sockets and resonators).
Texy

westaust55

Last edited:

Janne

Items arrived today;)
It shipped on the 9th, so less than 2 weeks to get here. The reason it was delayed, so I was told, was because of zero stock of one if the items, ( even though I'm sure it said there was stock at the time of ordering).
Still, I've paid less in USD than £'s for the 3 item types I ordered (atmega chips, dil sockets and resonators).
Texy
It's seems quite commonplace for them to be out of a part that is listed as available in their website. That's why I've mostly stopped buying from them anymore, especially for any parts that I really need. I'd suggest asking them in advance by e-mail if they really have the part in stock, for any critical parts you might need. At least their customer support usually responds to e-mails quickly.