Trying to IR TSOP 4838 emitter and TSOP 32238 receiver working together

hookset

Ok here comes another newbie question..
I am trying to play with IR for the first time so I purchased (5) TSOP32238 receivers and (5) TSOP4838 emitters. 5 because I’ll blow one up for sure…
I am so frustrated right now I can’t see straight. I been reading on the forum for the past few days and I am still stuck. Great information from several folks, so I am sure it something simple that I am doing wrong (hope hope).
First can the above IR units work together to send and receive IR data? will the 4838 send or is a receiver package says emitter...

I’ve tried a lot of different setup with no results. So what I am trying now is to just see IR light coming from the emitter. I am using a digital camera that is known to see IR (tested on TV remote). I’ve attached a picture of my circuit. but so far no luck.

I do not have a copy of my code at this time (its at the house) but its pretty much straight out of manual 2 and copies from forum post.

Output is C.0 using the suggested loop. Not shown in this picture is a red LED that I attached to C.1 that comes on for 3 sec between IR sending loops. that part is working so I know that the program is not hung.
ANY HELP would be great. Btw I am loving the picaxe. My wife says I am like a kid at Christmas.
I'll be back at the house in about an hour an ready to start testing again.
Thank you so much.
Jerry

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Both TSOP 4838 and TSOP 32238 appear to be receivers, so no they won't communicate with each other.

hookset

So an emitter can actual be a receiver. that's what I was afraid of. btw HIPPY i have really enjoyed reading your post...

Paix

Alas Hookset, as Michael has said, the product description on your invoice/package note seems to be very much in error.

An infra red LED is an emitter, as I am sure that you are now aware. The two receivers that you have are for 38kHz, which must be determined by the Picaxe transmitting program, either through the use of PWM or the IR built in routines. Of similar importance is that the receivers work at the same or very close wavelengths. I notice that both receivers peak their response curve at 950nm but the Vishay TSAL6xxx IR LEDs seem to have a peak emission at 940nm. The small difference not being of any great consequence.

Are you able to name the supplier, on the basis that their web site may also have incorrectly described the device as an IR emitter, in which case you may have a case for asking for the website to be corrected and an suitable emitter be sent you as a thank you for pointing out the error and for the inconvenience that resulted from the confusion caused.

hookset

Alas Hookset, as Michael has said, the product description on your invoice/package note seems to be very much in error.

An infra red LED is an emitter, as I am sure that you are now aware. The two receivers that you have are for 38kHz, which must be determined by the Picaxe transmitting program, either through the use of PWM or the IR built in routines. Of similar importance is that the receivers work at the same or very close wavelengths. I notice that both receivers peak their response curve at 950nm but the Vishay TSAL6xxx IR LEDs seem to have a peak emission at 940nm. The small difference not being of any great consequence.

Are you able to name the supplier, on the basis that their web site may also have incorrectly described the device as an IR emitter, in which case you may have a case for asking for the website to be corrected and an suitable emitter be sent you as a thank you for pointing out the error and for the inconvenience that resulted from the confusion caused.
Yes I purchased the IR's from www.alliedelec.com located in the Dallas, TX area. This is my first purchase from them and all other components seem to be to specification. I check and yes their website has the item missed labeled in the heading. At a cost of less than .50 each I will not worry about returning them, but I will call them and point out the issue.
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I look forward to more conversations in the very near future.

hookset

BTW - Both IR's work good as receivers. different pin out but they work. While the Wife is taking a shower, I confiscated the TV remote and reprogrammed it for Sony. boom it all worked. now to return the remote before I am caught..

Paix

Good news on that front then. Knowing my luck I wouldn't get it programmed back in time . . . eek!

The top one is probably what you want, nice and directional, at 17 degrees. A whole 10c worth; even a slack handful would be worth the heads up on the dodgy description. They certainly have a comprehensive inventory of "IR emitters" - my Google search term.

You might mention that you will be feeding back the outcome here . . . might get you an extra 10c worth for the good PR.

I know that I was, on a couple of occasions, shorted on components from Rapid and they came good as soon as I mentioned it. I guess that we are all human and these things happen. It's how it's handled when errors are pointed out that really counts.

If you had broken the TV remote controller I just know that you would have come good . . . or maybe drop it in the kids toy box as a bit of a diversion! :)

hookset

I spoke with Allied today and they apologized for the inconvenience, promised to fix the web-site and are in the process of shipping me 10 IR emitter at no charge. I am very please with their service, selection and the pricing can not be beat.

I spoke with Allied today and they apologized for the inconvenience, promised to fix the web-site and are in the process of shipping me 10 IR emitter at no charge. I am very please with their service, selection and the pricing can not be beat.
An excellent outcome.

MichaelG.

Paix

Good one. A splendid outcome for you and good PR for Allied Electronics/RS, showing that they really care and are listening. :)

So lots of IR projects in your household before long!