Transmit to computer screen

I have tried to put the word "hello" on my computer screen as per page 44 of "micro interfacing circuits" without any luck.
I tried:-

main: serout 1,N2400,(“Hello”) ‘ Send the word ‘Hello’
serout 1,N2400,(10,13) ‘ Send the ‘new line’ instructions.
pause 1000 ‘ Wait one second
goto main ‘ Loop back to the start

I have serial cable connected, programme runs in p/editor, led is blinking. Now I am stuck!

Can anyone explain how to go about it, in a simple way, or point me to something that I can read that will explain, stage by stage.

David Miles.

Hi Rick.
I have managed to get Hyperterminal open on my screen. The page is blank, with curser blinking. How do I open terminal function key f8?

David.

RickAlty

Not hyperterminal - thew terminal function of the Picaxe proframming editor. After downloading the program to the Picaxe, just hit F8 to open the programming editors own terminal - for just talking to a Picaxe you don't need all the functions of hyperterminal.

I have programme running, led blinking, serial terminal open ( 4800,n,8,1 ) and nothing is appearing on the screen. Any idea's why not?

Rickharris

Serout is intended to communicate with another Picaxe via 2 connected pins.

page 44 assumes you have connected a MAX 232 to your picaxe and PC - have you? IF not then:

If you want to talk to the PC you need to use Sertxd

For example:

<code><pre><font size=2 face='Courier'>
main:
sertxd(&quot;Hello&quot;,13,10) &#8216; Send the word &#8216;Hello&#8217;

pause 1000 &#8216; Wait one second
goto main &#8216; Loop back to the start
</font></pre></code>

Will do what you are trying to do - you can see the text when you press F8 (baude rate is fixed at 4800)

Edited by - rickharris on 15/08/2006 00:16:23

Edited by - rickharris on 15/08/2006 00:19:38

RickAlty

And as always, check that the pin that you are using to send to the PC is the one that you've actually got physically connected.

Try also, instead of using &quot;serout&quot;, sending a message using &quot;sertxd&quot; - to do that you don't have to disconnect and move the download cable after downloading your program.

Richard

RickAlty

Just a slight correction to what RickHarris said - serout is the primary serial communication for the Picaxe to talk to anything. sertxd (SERial TX(transmit) Debug) is primarily meant as a debug tool, because it sends to the PC without you having to move the download cable. Since what you're doing is trying to debug - find out why it won't work - stick with sertxd for now. Once it's working you can switch to serout.

Richard

manuka

SERTXD is a goldmine Picaxe command, superior for much serial development work as it doesn't S L O W processing as does the classic DEBUG. You can even bring up the F8 mini terminal screen automatically by clicking an editor box. However F8 only has a small screen, so still consider Hyperterminal (or Bananacom <A href='http://www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/termdemo.jpg ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>etc ) for your final rewired SEROUT version.

Rickharris

<code><pre><font size=2 face='Courier'>
main:
serout 0,4,(&quot;Hello&quot;,13,10) &#8216; Send the word &#8216;Hello&#8217;

</font></pre></code>

Will do just what you originally tried to do You can view the result on the terminal screen by pressing F8 and selecting 2400 baud

And I MUST learn to read posts with more care in the future!.

Thanks for everyones help. I have now got data onto serial window.
One thing confuses me though. I would be grateful if someone could explain if it's not
too difficult. I tried:-

main:
sertxd(&quot;Hello&quot;,13,10) &#8216; Send the word &#8216;Hello&#8217;

This worked at 4800,n,8,1

I then tried:-

main:
serout 0,4,(&quot;Hello&quot;,13,10) &#8216; Send the word &#8216;Hello&#8217;

This worked with 2400,n,8,1 but not 4800,n,8,1 -- Why 2400 and not 4800.

David Miles.